US Diesel's big splash introduction

:
'16.5 JBM CX-5 AWD GT tech, '19 Veloster N
Probably not specific to the diesel but I have a gut feeling Mazda will tie this into the official US rollout....

Unlimited mileage warranty

If not that a couple years of maintenance ala Toyota.

I have no inside intel but if/when the diesel does finally arrive, I say one of the above perks will happen at least to it if not the entire lineup.

Betting window is open to the naysayers. Swish swish

Last edited:
You're probably right - they'll have to do something dramatic to spur sales and acceptance.

As I've written here before, I'm not convinced that the diesel remains viable as a passenger car engine in the USA.

If I did buy one it would most certainly have to be from a mfgr with some existing infrastructure/parts/service training, eg VW/Audi/BMW/MB, etc.

As the OP states, there would have to be serious enticement involved for me to buy diesel from Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, et al -- companies simply not yet set up to support it IN THE USA. Torque/mileage, etc aside -- to me it's a poor business case from mfgrs not already in the game.

With the $2k initial premium to buy it, you're roughly paying for an unlimited mile warranty.

Good luck with that, I too see them struggling to sell it...

What do you guys mean you don't see an incentive to buy it? 310 lb-ft of torque and possible 30+ combined MPG not enough of an incentive?

What do you guys mean you don't see an incentive to buy it? 310 lb-ft of torque and possible 30+ combined MPG not enough of an incentive?

You really think the average buyer cares about torque increase? Couple that with the whole diesel stigma after VWGate, and if one is concerned with MPG, most people will opt for a Hybrid not diesels. It's a poor strategy IMO to release a diesel engine in these times...

I was in the haters camp, but if I lived in the mountains - boy would i trade my 2.5L Petrol in for a Diesel. The Diesel can eat the 2.5L on inclines. I am not sure on 30+ mpg. For combined or city that number looks ok. In real world I think the diesel can hit high 30s like 35+ - Pretty much pawn the Rogue Hybrid.
Not to mention it will tow more than Petrol and almost 1000 lbs more than CR-V. Lol **

Diesel is bascially come and drive me on CO 115 and enjoy the mountains type CX-5.

** Assuming Diesel comes with 2500 lb tow rating, if its higher than it can basically tow what 2 CRVs can tow together. Damn thats some stronk.

On top of that you have another refill requirement: Diesel Emissions Fluid (basically Urea and deionized water) to prevent NOX emissions. Not as frequent a refill as fuel (it's consumed at approx a 1:50 ratio with diesel fuel), but another thing to think about and buy. Plus diesel's noticeably more expensive than gasoline.

Nope, none at all. My circle is small, but everyone I have mentioned it to have laughed at the idea. I'm sure they did their market research, but it won't sell worth a darn anywhere around here...

I was in the haters camp, but if I lived in the mountains - boy would i trade my 2.5L Petrol in for a Diesel. The Diesel can eat the 2.5L on inclines. I am not sure on 30+ mpg. For combined or city that number looks ok. In real world I think the diesel can hit high 30s like 35+ - Pretty much pawn the Rogue Hybrid.
A torquey engine makes for a great daily driver.

Nope, none at all. My circle is small, but everyone I have mentioned it to have laughed at the idea. I'm sure they did their market research, but it won't sell worth a darn anywhere around here...
Genuinely curious, what is laughable about a diesel CX-5? I mean there is a diesel BMW X3 and X5. Audi has some diesel CUVs as well as Porsche and Merc. Is it because it is not a luxury brand?

Last edited:
What is laughable about a cx-5 diesel you ask?

Well, for starters, they're really late to the party. Secondly, I live in a state with the cheapest gas in the entire nation, always has been, always will be, and no one wants to pay a premium for diesel and a new concept engine. Third, it has nothing to do with not being a luxury brand (BMW North America is based in my home town), it has all to do with no one buys diesels here unless they're pulling horse trailers or large boats (I pulled my racing trailer with one at one time, so don't try to say I'm a diesel hater). Fourth, they'd be better off concentrating on a newer tech like hybrid or electric, but I have to admit, those don't do anything for me either.

I guess time will tell. I couldn't careless if it falls on its face or not, but I say it will. Buy one and let us know how it goes...

It's laughable because Mazda has no diesel history in this country, and bringing a diesel motor in now after VW-Gate just seems like a stupid move. Mercedes-Benz just announced they are pulling out completely from the states, but yet Mazda somehow think it can be a success? How many people do you know that have been clamoring for Mazda to release a diesel? Sure it offers more torque and better MPG, but it's still a 'diesel'. And not only that but it will command a premium. No one is going to pay an extra 2k just to squeek out some extra gas mileage when gas is already cheap. Besides if you did want better MPG, you can just get a hybrid from every other company...

I would only get a diesel car/SUV if gas was expensive and was towing a lot of stuff, and even then I would only buy one from a company with a history of diesel vehicles in this country.

It's laughable because Mazda has no diesel history in this country, and bringing a diesel motor in now after VW-Gate just seems like a stupid move. Mercedes-Benz just announced they are pulling out completely from the states, but yet Mazda somehow think it can be a success? How many people do you know that have been clamoring for Mazda to release a diesel? Sure it offers more torque and better MPG, but it's still a 'diesel'. And not only that but it will command a premium. No one is going to pay an extra 2k just to squeek out some extra gas mileage when gas is already cheap. Besides if you did want better MPG, you can just get a hybrid from every other company...

I would only get a diesel car/SUV if gas was expensive and was towing a lot of stuff, and even then I would only buy one from a company with a history of diesel vehicles in this country.

Solid points.

To Diesel haters:
I don't know if it was Anchorman or who - but they posted an Article.
It gave Mazda the credit for reviving Diesel in Japan. That is a good endorsement. Plus as said - 3000 lb towing is not offered by any Japanese brand in US. If you need to tow that occasionally - 3 seat SUVs or Trucks are your option.

Also - look at this Mother of God - holy freakonomics - this site says 2.2D will tow 4400 lbs /2000 Kgs. Mother of God that is a full horse stable and a jacuzzi with a Pizza delivery van.

http://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/mazda-cx-5-2/

3 CRVs = 1 2.2 Diesel in tow capacity. Whoop de doop. So if you are driving 3 CRVs up a hill and they are out of breath the CX-5 can tow them home one at a time easily.
Mother of god - I was thinking diesel may tow 3000 lbs but 4400 - of freak. All Boat rich people in Austin and DFW will love this option.

What is laughable about a cx-5 diesel you ask?

Well, for starters, they're really late to the party. Secondly, I live in a state with the cheapest gas in the entire nation, always has been, always will be, and no one wants to pay a premium for diesel and a new concept engine. Third, it has nothing to do with not being a luxury brand (BMW North America is based in my home town), it has all to do with no one buys diesels here unless they're pulling horse trailers or large boats (I pulled my racing trailer with one at one time, so don't try to say I'm a diesel hater). Fourth, they'd be better off concentrating on a newer tech like hybrid or electric, but I have to admit, those don't do anything for me either.

I guess time will tell. I couldn't careless if it falls on its face or not, but I say it will. Buy one and let us know how it goes...
I'll give you the point regarding 87 octane gas being cheaper than diesel as valid point against it. (Where I live though, diesel is still cheaper than 93 octane.) The other reasons are a wash.

Mazda has had the diesel engine available worldwide, just not here in the States. They are only "late to the party" here in the States.

Diesel engines are not just for pulling trailers or large boats. I mean Audi have dominated the world endurance racing with their diesel race cars and they weren't towing anything. I think this is a cultural thing regarding the towing. People in the States simply associate towing with SUVs/pickups/diesel engines.

I agree they should spend R&D on hybrid and electric tech. I believe they already are. Those are supposedly going to be available in Japan by 2019-2020. In the meantime, we have SkyActiv 2 coming soon, maybe next year. As stated before, they already have the diesel engines available in other markets. They are not spending more resources researching a diesel SkyActiv engine. They are actually trying to recoup the cost of research and production of diesel engines by making it available here.

-----
It will be an even more stupid move for Mazda, from a business point of view, to go back on the promise of making diesel engines available in their North American cars. After all the time and money they spent to get it ready to release here in the States, calling it off would be an even bigger waste. I suppose GM is stupid too for making a diesel engine option available for their new CUV, Equinox I think.

To Diesel haters:
I don't know if it was Anchorman or who - but they posted an Article.
It gave Mazda the credit for reviving Diesel in Japan. That is a good endorsement. Plus as said - 3000 lb towing is not offered by any Japanese brand in US. If you need to tow that occasionally - 3 seat SUVs or Trucks are your option.

Also - look at this Mother of God - holy freakonomics - this site says 2.2D will tow 4400 lbs /2000 Kgs. Mother of God that is a full horse stable and a jacuzzi with a Pizza delivery van.

http://www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/mazda-cx-5-2/

3 CRVs = 1 2.2 Diesel in tow capacity. Whoop de doop. So if you are driving 3 CRVs up a hill and they are out of breath the CX-5 can tow them home one at a time easily.
Mother of god - I was thinking diesel may tow 3000 lbs but 4400 - of freak. All Boat rich people in Austin and DFW will love this option.

Towing capacity for the diesel abroad is only marginally higher than it is for the 2.0L

Back