Coolant recovery tank

Sorry man, but you are wrong again!

FORD MOTOR.
FORD TRANSMISSION
FORD AWD DIFF

Yea... no. No its not. The differential and transfer case might be developed by ford, but their involvement in the vehicle comes to a crashing halt right there. The older v6 CX-9 has a Mazda MZI motor which is rebadged as Cyclone for fords version. Identical motors.

Think about it... why the hell would ford even think of partnering up if Mazda has nothing to offer to them? This is pure common sense my friend.

Well I have to agree with the poster above. It is a Mazda designed engine built by ford. Mazda designed the engine and ford built it according to the design. As for my radiator problem. does the heavy duty and the regular radiator fit the same. I am looking at two different radiators from rock auto. They have a heavy duty one and a regular one. The mazda online list two types also. Am wondering if the heavy duty one can be used. They look the same with no difference in the photos so I am wondering where does the heavy duty cooling come from? I am also guessing that I cannot extract that drain plug since I haven't gotten any replies here. I will check later to see if anyone else may have experienced this. Thanks again.

Well I have to agree with the poster above. It is a Mazda designed engine built by ford. Mazda designed the engine and ford built it according to the design.

Exactly, this is correct.

As for my radiator problem. does the heavy duty and the regular radiator fit the same. I am looking at two different radiators from rock auto. They have a heavy duty one and a regular one. The mazda online list two types also. Am wondering if the heavy duty one can be used. They look the same with no difference in the photos so I am wondering where does the heavy duty cooling come from? I am also guessing that I cannot extract that drain plug since I haven't gotten any replies here. I will check later to see if anyone else may have experienced this. Thanks again.

I think the heavy-duty radiator will fit but I am not going to confirm that one.

Yea... no. No it’s not. The differential and transfer case might be developed by ford, but their involvement in the vehicle comes to a crashing halt right there. The older v6 CX-9 has a Mazda MZI motor which is rebadged as Cyclone for fords version. Identical motors.

Think about it... why the hell would ford even think of partnering up if Mazda has nothing to offer to them? This is pure common sense my friend.

I only can go by what I have learned from experience, what I have been told, and what I can read on the internet.

Where are you getting your info from>?

Here is some info on the FORD CYCLONE 3.5L and 3.7L motors... Please, I love to learn new things... Show me something that says this is a MAZDA motor?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

I only can go by what I have learned from experience, what I have been told, and what I can read on the internet.

Where are you getting your info from>?

Here is some info on the FORD CYCLONE 3.5L and 3.7L motors... Please, I love to learn new things... Show me something that says this is a MAZDA motor?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine

What is it thats so difficult for you to understand let me just break things down for you:

Ford and Mazda team up. Ford has great business and marketing power and a much more healthy budget then a small company like Mazda.

Ford has the proper business skills and power to source chassis from Mazda and their European factories, Mazda has the excellent engine technology that is found in the vast majority of ford vehicles you see on the road today.
Look at the design of this engine under the hood of a Mazda mx-6, 626 V6. This is where the (duratec 30) is derived from.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_K_engine

Now, take a look at the Ford cyclone link where it simply mentions that the Mazda MZI is a version of the cyclone engine, and conveniently enough when you click on the MZI wiki link it takes you to the Cyclone link you showed here. How could it possibly not be any more obvious to you?

Moving along..

Mazda MZR/L engine
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_MZR_engine

Quoted directly from that page: The Ford Motor Company owns rights to build and use the MZR generation of engines under their Duratec brand name for global service in its vehicles since 2003.

And then finally we have the ecoboost 2, 2.3, and 3.5 engines which are based from the Mazda L and MZI engine but turbocharged by ford and labelled as an ecoboost. it says RIGHT there that it was jointly developed with Mazda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

Lets not forget the CD3 and the CD4, an evolution of the previous Chassis and based on Mazdas excellent G sedan platform.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD3_platform
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CD4_platform

Look how many vehicles are on those two lists. Those vehicles are all Mazdas with a ford badge tacked on. Stop being so naive and look some stuff up on the internet or something, jesus.

Last edited:
What is it that’s so difficult for you to understand Stop being so naive and look some stuff up on the internet or something, jesus.

(2thumbs)

You are correct about the duratec 2.0/2.3 3.0 MZR Ecoboost was Mazda/Ford design

HOWEVER, the duratec 3.5/3.7 CYCLONE was a CLEAN SHEET Ford design, that shares nothing with the 4cyls or the Duratec 2.5/3.0 v6 other than the DURATEC label.

If Ford does not design anything as you have stated, what the heck are the over 19,000 engineers employed by Ford doing?

http://wardsauto.com/news-analysis/ford-motor-co-duratec-35-35l-dohc-v-6

Mazda assembled their own version of the Duratec based 3.5/3.7 MZI motor in Hiroshima for install into the Mazda 6 and CX-9.

Last edited:
Another Update:

I tried to heat up a flat head screwdriver to make a slot in the plug, that didn't work. So I purchased a soldering iron with a flat tip and was able to make a slot in the drain plug. I waited for 15 min for it to cool off and then I went with the flathead screwdriver. It came out to easy. My next question is when I put the new plug with o-ring what is the torque spec for this drain plug. The plug seemed a little bit too easy when I started turning with the screwdriver. I hope that the new plug with the o-ring will solve my problem. I also didn't notice and o-ring when I took out the old one. I am wondering if it was missing and that is why I was leaking fluid from time to time. Thanks again in advance.

Another Update:

I tried to heat up a flat head screwdriver to make a slot in the plug, that didn't work. So I purchased a soldering iron with a flat tip and was able to make a slot in the drain plug. I waited for 15 min for it to cool off and then I went with the flathead screwdriver. It came out to easy. My next question is when I put the new plug with o-ring what is the torque spec for this drain plug. The plug seemed a little bit too easy when I started turning with the screwdriver. I hope that the new plug with the o-ring will solve my problem. I also didn't notice and o-ring when I took out the old one. I am wondering if it was missing and that is why I was leaking fluid from time to time. Thanks again in advance.

The radiator plug does come out easily and should go back in just as easily.

From the service manual:

Tighten the radiator drain plug.
Tightening torque
1.5-2.4 N.m {15-25 kgf.cm, 13-12 in.lbf}

About 2 weeks ago the pump failed on my CX-9. I wish I had had a little warning, like seeing a leak etc. I can tell you run to check it out and don't drive it.. It caused my engine to fail. $4000+ later my engine had to be replaced. I was at 74500 miles no warranty. What I have since learned is the pump is located inside the engine compartment, and driven by the timing belts. I ended up with a milkshake for oil. I will be writing a separate post to possible help/warn others.
@MazdaCX92013 I am asking for your opinion. I have a 2008 CX-9 with a mileage of 180 thousand miles. The oil has a good color and there is no loss of coolant. Is this drain hole in the CX-9? Is the liquid leaking in this place when the sealant is damaged? If there are no traces of coolant, can I sleep well?

Back