2017 CX-5 GT Oil Filter

wade198582

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring w/Premium Pkg
I just did a 1500 mile oil change on my 2017 CX-5 GT on May 27, 2017. I just wanted to get any debris from manufacturing out of the oil/engine. Here are a few pics of the oil filter that came off the car. This is to show what Mazda is using for an oil filter if you want an OEM one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4AvmV5kMo0QRncyYllZT0s3Y2hGd3p4NWxzZVh1S21UcmFZ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4AvmV5kMo0QdExMOVRraWhvUHNwRjBjRk94SVl2YmdnUXJv

Good info, did you replace with the same exact p/n PE0114302B Made in Japan,

I thought this p/n was getting phased out (limited quantity still available online until stock runs out)

new replacement ones are Made in Indonesia or Mexico

I just did a 1500 mile oil change on my 2017 CX-5 GT on May 27, 2017. I just wanted to get any debris from manufacturing out of the oil/engine. Here are a few pics of the oil filter that came off the car. This is to show what Mazda is using for an oil filter if you want an OEM one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4AvmV5kMo0QRncyYllZT0s3Y2hGd3p4NWxzZVh1S21UcmFZ
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4AvmV5kMo0QdExMOVRraWhvUHNwRjBjRk94SVl2YmdnUXJv

0B4AvmV5kMo0QRncyYllZT0s3Y2hGd3p4NWxzZVh1S21UcmFZ

0B4AvmV5kMo0QdExMOVRraWhvUHNwRjBjRk94SVl2YmdnUXJv
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like there's a revised "B" version on Japanese oil filter now. PE01-14-302A is the filter from factory for 2016(.5) CX-5 but Mazda superseded it with 1WPE-14-302 for OEM parts in the US. Thailand made 1WPE filter has smaller diameter than Japan made PE01 filter:

full-49315-267-img_1352.jpg

full-49315-268-img_1353.jpg

Notice that SkyActiv-G engine requires different oil flow pressure than others without anti-drain valve on oil filter. Wix 57002 filter is the only legit aftermarket oil filter specially designed for Mazda SkyActiv-G engines.

I don't do early first oil change on a new car anymore. Factory-filled oil in CX-5 has very high content of molybdenum proven by UOA which serves as a "break-in" oil. Honda specifically said in break-in section of the owner's manual that don't do first oil change early. I'd suggest people just turn on your oil life monitor on your new 2017 CX-5 by setting your Oil Change Maintenance Monitor to "Flexible" interval. Do your first oil change at about 5,000 miles or longer according to your oil life monitor. Use or specify Mazda moly oil for more accurate oil life calculation. After all, the debris you worried about, although they shouldn't be much from modern engine assembly, should get trapped by the oil filter. :)

I thought this p/n was getting phased out (limited quantity still available online until stock runs out)

Here:
There're now 3 OEM Mazda SkyActiv oil filters:

OEM Mazda's
SkyActiv Oil Filters
PE01-14-302AMade in Japan with the best quality.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a sealed paper box.
1WPE-14-302Made in Thailand.
Smaller in outside diameter than PE01-14-302A.
Comes with greased O-ring type gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on top preventing dust、
and packaged in a non-sealed paper box.
PE01-14-302A-MVMade in Mexico.
Comes with non-greased flat gasket、
shrink wrapped seal on entire filter、
and no paper box.

Based on picture provided by madar, Mazda OEM value-line PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter does look different from Wix 57002. But I'd still get PE01-14-302A-MV OEM "value" filter if there's no other OEM choices! :)

I replaced it with a Wix 57002. I have been using Wix filters for over 10 years in my other vehicles (Ford and Jeep) and I have had a good track record with them.

I replaced it with a Wix 57002. I have been using Wix filters for over 10 years in my other vehicles (Ford and Jeep) and I have had a good track record with them.
Although Wix 57002 filter is the only aftermarket filter in the US claimed specially made for Mazda SkyActiv-G engines, but even that the specs and quality are questionable. See these discussions from bobistheoilguy:

Wix's custom filter 57002 created for Mazda...

Phone Call With Wix and Learned Some Things...

I'd agree with madar, "Value Line" or not, just use OEM filter whatever Mazda throws to us.

⋯ Wix 57002 filter is specially made for Mazda SkyActiv engine.
maybe not such a good substitute...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3446537/1

I'm fine with the 302s, mainly because I had them before from the dealer and didn't notice a difference with fit or installation lol, which is what I'll probably get from amazon. Sad to see Mazda is going this route, and I realize it's part of the business but I wonder what else they're cheaping out on. With all the R&D they did on redesigning this engine, oil filters don't seem to be the area to be doing this IMO.

That is some very special and expensive oil to just throw away after 1500miles of the 7500 service life... (boom01)

You said you were worried about the metal debris from manufacturing, but isn't that going to be held inside the filter?

Can you cut open the filter to show all of the debris?

I only use the Mazda filters (not the value line though). Years ago I had a brand new Dodge Omni. There were oil filters on the market that "fit" the engine, but were not the same as the Mopar filters in specs (which, of course, you'd never know from reading the box). I used them since they were cheaper and they "fit". When I took the car in for service one time, the service manager told me that although the filter "fit" my car and worked OK most of the time, what if there was a problem traced to the filter? His exact words were; "Who would you rather be on the line to fix your engine; Chrysler Corp or a filter manufacturer?" So ever since then, I only use OEM filters in my vehicles and I've never had a problem nor had to think twice about what oil filter to use. My 2 FWIW.

Lots of noise here. So which oil filter should we be using? I normally go to walmart (the only time I ever visit that garbage store) and pick up 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic for $23 and then buy a premium (fram) 10k mile oil filter. My Mazda 5 wasn't perfect but it lasted me 240k miles with that combo.

Lots of noise here. So which oil filter should we be using? I normally go to walmart (the only time I ever visit that garbage store) and pick up 5 quarts of mobil 1 synthetic for $23 and then buy a premium (fram) 10k mile oil filter. My Mazda 5 wasn't perfect but it lasted me 240k miles with that combo.
Your Mazda5 doesn't have SkyActiv-G engine. Mazda itself uses different OEM oil filters with different specs between the two. Go to the bobistheoilguy links we provided and look for yourself. I've listed all possible OEM filters above for your reference. I think not many people trust Fram fileters nowadays ⋯

Your Mazda5 doesn't have SkyActiv-G engine. Mazda itself uses different OEM oil filters with different specs between the two. Go to the bobistheoilguy links we provided and look for yourself. I've listed all possible OEM filters above for your reference. I think not many people trust Fram fileters nowadays ⋯

Noted! Thanks! :)

So are you guys buying Wix or the Mazda one's and where is the easiest place to purchase each?

Last edited:
Noted! Thanks! :)

So are you guys buying Wix or the Mazda one's and where is the easiest place to purchase each?
For a while some of us cleared up some inventory from certain sellers with preferred Japanese made PE01-14-302A OEM oil filter. Mazda dealers now only carry 1WPE-14-302 and PE01-14-302A-MV ("Value Line" parts). I hope Mazda North American Operations would bring the newer Japanese made Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B into the States eventually.

attachment.php

View attachment 216911

Just snagged a 7 year supply of the Tokyo Roki oil filters, so I'd better buy it now or my wife will never let me forget it (nuts)
Actually I cleared out all 23 Japanese made PE01-14-302A Mazda oil filters in their stock last November and Med Center Mazda has no more Japanese made OEM oil filters since then ⋯ (whistle)
I just received 30 from an Ebay seller (drinks)

Many people here were ordering oil change kit from our sponsor Med Center Mazda for the best price with Mazda moly oil、OEM filter、and drain plug aluminum washer. Order 3 kits over $100 to waive the expensive shipping. Or go to their eBay site to purchase the same kit for the same price:

update, please disregard, found a Mazda dealer that sells the whole set genuine Mazda parts: oil, crush washer and filter :

recommended oil change every 5,000 -7,500 miles

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like there's a revised "B" version on Japanese oil filter now. PE01-14-302A is the filter from factory for 2016(.5) CX-5 but Mazda superseded it with 1WPE-14-302 for OEM parts in the US. Thailand made 1WPE filter has smaller diameter than Japan made PE01 filter:

full-49315-267-img_1352.jpg

full-49315-268-img_1353.jpg

Notice that SkyActiv-G engine requires different oil flow pressure than others without anti-drain valve on oil filter. Wix 57002 filter is the only legit aftermarket oil filter specially designed for Mazda SkyActiv-G engines.

I don't do early first oil change on a new car anymore. Factory-filled oil in CX-5 has very high content of molybdenum proven by UOA which serves as a "break-in" oil. Honda specifically said in break-in section of the owner's manual that don't do first oil change early. I'd suggest people just turn on your oil life monitor on your new 2017 CX-5 by setting your Oil Change Maintenance Monitor to "Flexible" interval. Do your first oil change at about 5,000 miles or longer according to your oil life monitor. Use or specify Mazda moly oil for more accurate oil life calculation. After all, the debris you worried about, although they shouldn't be much from modern engine assembly, should get trapped by the oil filter. :)

My 2016.5 CX-5 had the "B" version of the filter installed from the factory. Just changed the oil for the first time last week.

Back