Mystery button on liftgate

... However, although articles have been published showing this technology *could* be used to defeat your key, it's pretty challenging in practice to actually use it. ...
I agree that in practical use, it's best just to use the key system as intended. However, a neighbor recently had their Subaru stolen and the theory was that the crooks used an amplifier/transmitter of some sort to pick up the key's signal (which was in their house, just behind the front door) and trick the car into believing that the key was actually very close to the car.

I figure the odds of this happening are very small, and the risk isn't catastrophic so, outside of doing something blatantly stupid like leaving the key fob on the roof of the car, I don't worry about it much. I don't have to worry about my appearance too much, so I just carry my key on a lanyard around my neck. Otherwise it would be too easy to accidentally leave it in a jacket or something. The problem with that "fool-proof" system revealed itself a couple of weeks ago when I let my wife drop me off at home before she took the Mazda to a hair appointment. :)

Still haven't figured out a good way to have a hide-a-key or, short of carrying an airtight wallet, what to do with the key when going into the water.

Personally, I think the only benefit of the power lift gate is being able to show off. I don't like waiting for it to open or close, and I'm reluctant to push it through the motor.

I agree that in practical use, it's best just to use the key system as intended. However, a neighbor recently had their Subaru stolen and the theory was that the crooks used an amplifier/transmitter of some sort to pick up the key's signal (which was in their house, just behind the front door) and trick the car into believing that the key was actually very close to the car.

I figure the odds of this happening are very small, and the risk isn't catastrophic so, outside of doing something blatantly stupid like leaving the key fob on the roof of the car, I don't worry about it much. I don't have to worry about my appearance too much, so I just carry my key on a lanyard around my neck. Otherwise it would be too easy to accidentally leave it in a jacket or something. The problem with that "fool-proof" system revealed itself a couple of weeks ago when I let my wife drop me off at home before she took the Mazda to a hair appointment. :)

Still haven't figured out a good way to have a hide-a-key or, short of carrying an airtight wallet, what to do with the key when going into the water.

Personally, I think the only benefit of the power lift gate is being able to show off. I don't like waiting for it to open or close, and I'm reluctant to push it through the motor.

Listen to what you are saying--your neighbors believe their key was cloned sitting inside their house. So how are you protecting your car from getting stolen by using the request button on the door handle, if someone can capture the key's signal that way?

...So how are you protecting your car from getting stolen by using the request button on the door handle, if someone can capture the key's signal that way?
Sorry, I don't understand this sentence. And, although I know next to nothing about how this works, I'm pretty sure that there's no "signal" to "capture" like there is with a garage door opener. Just guessing, but I would think it would be more like a network handshake. The amplifiers that crooks use don't just store a signal and then play it back to the car, they evidently bridge the distance gap between the key and the car, making the car think the key is within close proximity as it goes through the request/unlock cycle.

Back to the original question, it sounds like the "mystery button" is there for one specific sit of circumstances - it's for when the car is unlocked and someone is at the back of the car and wants to lock up the whole car without walking over to one of the front doors.

Is that correct? Or, is it also designed to handle that same situation but when the key fob is nowhere near the car?

I've only driven newer cars a couple of times before getting the Mazda. And, even after having it for a while, I was proud of myself when I drove through the carwash yesterday without having the windshield wipers turn on automatically. (But I have to admit, if I'm not sure if the headlights have turned on automatically at dusk, I still cycle through the settings looking for the one that seems to have the nighttime combination of dashboard lights and headlights.)

Back