2016 CX-9 Oil Consumption

For whatever it's worth (probably nothing) in the past I've had dealers under or over-fill my oil when doing an oil change. It's one of the reasons I do my own. If they aren't competent (or careful) enough to check the dipstick then what else are they doing wrong? Loose filter? Wrong oil? Who knows? Not to mention that either a significant under or over-fill could end up resulting in damage to my engine. If for any reason I do have to use a dealer for an oil change I know to always check the level before leaving the dealership.

As far as quantity of oil for a refill, when I do an oil change I fill to the fill-line even if the amount is a little different than the manual states. This way I can accurately monitor oil use. I've had vehicles that the stick doesn't match the book exactly but the difference has always been small so shouldn't be a problem in terms of how much oil is in the pan. If my dipstick amount varied by over 1/2 qt from the book I'd suspect a bad dipstick.

I got the oil level warning light again for my 2016 CX-9. Dip stick shows it is slightly below bottom hole of dip stick after driving 4700 miles from last oil change. Synthetic.

Visited dealer. The advisor wants to try conventional oil instead. This advisor is crap (Demand a different service writer, or speak with the service manager)unfortunately lying to me that 5W on 5W-30 means conventional (Yep, a lie, could be either base stock)and 0W means 0W-30 synthetic (True, only syn base oil will give a 0W). I said that is just viscosity, and he still didn't budge. :-(

So I am going to try conventional to see if that makes difference but I don't like this advisor at all.
I'd speak with the service manager...the manager of the service department...about the oil consumption. We all know there is something wrong. Do use the conventional oil just to try everything, but that won't make a difference. Be ready to ask for a consult with the Mazda district rep or someone else that represents headquarters if you don't get satisfaction from the dealership service manager.

The brand of oil makes no difference to the level. (For the record, I'm using a premium syn blend, Schaeffer #701 5W-30, that has given me excellent results for many years-- http://www.schaefferoil.com/701-synthetic-plus.html .)

Maybe my dipstick is wrong. Anyway, no problem running almost 6 quarts in the engine, what it takes to get the oil level up to the top mark on the dipstick (and, yes, it's pushed down all the way into the tube for the measurement).

Very strange, this is my second oil change which I did myself. 1st one was by the dealer since it was free.

I use mobil1 synthetic , 5.1 qt like the manual says, checked dipstick and it's barely halfway between the lower and higher mark.

Oil was checked 3 hours after the oil change and car is parked in my garage which i'm pretty sure is leveled.

NOT going to add more presuming the dipstick is crap.

Last edited:
Very strange, this is my second oil change which I did myself. 1st one was by the dealer since it was free.

I use mobil1 synthetic , 5.1 qt like the manual says, checked dipstick and it's barely halfway between the lower and higher mark.

Oil was checked 3 hours after the oil change and car is parked in my garage which i'm pretty sure is leveled.

NOT going to add more presuming the dipstick is crap.

I did my oil change recently and similarly 5.1 qt only gets me to the half way point between the low and high dots. I had to add in about another 0.4 qt to get to the full dot. Either the dipstick is bad or Mazda's technical writers made a typo on the manual.

I have observed my car's oil level dropping slightly (0.1-0.2 qt) after about 5000 miles. The fact that this oil is shared with an extremely hot turbo, I am going to stick with getting to the high dot regardless of what the manual says.

I am going to stick with getting to the high dot regardless of what the manual says.

I have also found that I need to fill with 5.7 qts to get to the full mark. On my first oil change I did not check the stick after the change. 3,000 miles later I had the oil level light come on "not the oil pressure light". Oil was close to the lower mark. Needed to stop and add a quart. Not going to make that mistake again.

Ok, is it just me ?

On my recent oil change I used Mobil1 full Syn 5-30, and now I'm noticing bad fuel economy.

Is it in my head ? or is it because I only filled 5.1qt w/o topping to 2nd dot ?

This drives me nuts.

Might want to see if your engine air filter is dirty and if so, try to gently vacuum the debris out. I did this for my car at 15k miles. Planning to replace the air filter at 30k miles.

Back