2016 CX-9 Oil Consumption

On my 2016 CX-9 GT AWD, the "engine oil level warning indication" light came on. I have about 13,500 miles on the car, and was just about 5,000 since my last oil change. This does not seem right.

Anyone else experience this?

Was this a dealership oil change? Did you check the level recently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no...we just had our 15000 mile service and have had no such thing happen to us....have been getting every 5k mile service done since purchase....only done at Mazda dealerships.

I've experienced the exactly same, car had about 14500 and 5500 since oil change and the low oil level light came on, no leaks. I thought was my fault since I changed the oil by myself and used 5qt ( spill some) not 5.1 as stated in the manual.
I switch to Mobil 1, since and keep it under observation, I think the level went down a bit but still too early to say for sure (2000 miles so far). Do you smell any oil burn one in the blue moon? I did, not sure if is just me, the car ahead or my car. No oil leaks either, I probably checked 100 times by now.

Last edited:
Not leaking anything and not blowing blue smoke. I checked the oil level and it was about 1/3 from the bottom marker.

The light that has come on is the indicator light with the oil can with a wavy line under it.

"Low oil level light" came on today for my 2016 CX-9. It has been only 2.5K miles from the last oil change. When I turn off the car and restart it, the light goes off for a while then it comes back. So I checked the oil level just now and it seems it is slightly above the bottom marker. It was a bit hard to read because oil residue keep coming in together to the dip stick. I am guessing it might be possibly because engine is still hot, so I will check that again when engine is cool.

Anyway I do not see any leak from my garage floor and also do not see any obvious leaks from the engine seals or bottom of the car. Also the car doesn't blow blue smoke.

Since I don't know exactly how much oil my dealer has put in, I am not able to tell if this is excessive oil consumption issue or not yet. I will report back after dealer visit.

"Low oil level light" came on today for my 2016 CX-9. It has been only 2.5K miles from the last oil change. When I turn off the car and restart it, the light goes off for a while then it comes back. So I checked the oil level just now and it seems it is slightly above the bottom marker. It was a bit hard to read because oil residue keep coming in together to the dip stick. I am guessing it might be possibly because engine is still hot, so I will check that again when engine is cool.

Anyway I do not see any leak from my garage floor and also do not see any obvious leaks from the engine seals or bottom of the car. Also the car doesn't blow blue smoke.

Since I don't know exactly how much oil my dealer has put in, I am not able to tell if this is excessive oil consumption issue or not yet. I will report back after dealer visit.

I visited the dealership today and they claim that they put low amount of oil last time thinking it was 2015 CX-9 instead of 2016 CX-9. So they did full oil change.

A side story is that last time they put service sticker on the windshield saying they put 0W-30 instead of 5W-30. So I called them it is wrong oil and that time they said the tech misprinted the label and they did put correct 5W-30.

After the oil change today, I checked the dip stick and now it is too much above full marker (top hole). I asked the service desk guy if it isn't a problem and he strongly insists that it is right amount and my understanding of dip stick marker is wrong. He claims it should go above the top hole. I tried to find the manual to see if it explains dip stick marker, but I couldn't find info on the spot, so I came back to avoid useless BS argument.

Now I did find the info from the manual and my understanding is correct that the oil should not go above top marker (hole). That is full line.

I decided I will not go back to the same dealership for this careless tech and lying service adviser.

At least, now I don't see the low oil light again when driving. However I am worried about possible damages due to too much oil though. I might just drain the over-filled amount.

I will monitor oil level closely this time, and will report back to this thread for update.

Last edited:
I visited the dealership today and they claim that they put low amount of oil last time thinking it was 2015 CX-9 instead of 2016 CX-9. So they did full oil change.

A side story is that last time they put service sticker on the windshield saying they put 0W-30 instead of 5W-30. So I called them it is wrong oil and that time they said the tech misprinted the label and they did put correct 5W-30.

After the oil change today, I checked the dip stick and now it is too much above full marker (top hole). I asked the service desk guy if it isn't a problem and he strongly insists that it is right amount and my understanding of dip stick marker is wrong. He claims it should go above the top hole. I tried to find the manual to see if it explains dip stick marker, but I couldn't find info on the spot, so I came back to avoid useless BS argument.

Now I did find the info from the manual and my understanding is correct that the oil should not go above top marker (hole). That is full line.

I decided I will not go back to the same dealership for this careless tech and lying service adviser.

At least, now I don't see the low oil light again when driving. However I am worried about possible damages due to too much oil though. I might just drain the over-filled amount.

I will monitor oil level closely this time, and will report back to this thread for update.

I think that was BS excuse regarding thinking your vehicle was a 2015 MY...if that was say the case then it requires more engine oil due to the bigger displacement engine (3.7L V6 vs 2.5L 4Cyl). The 2016/2017 CX9 only uses approx 4.8Ltrs of oil! My 3.0L inline 6cyl Volvo previously used 7.4L of oil!

Because of this thread I checked my oil, it was all the way up to the bottom of the twist in the dipstick. So I went to the dealer which did my oil change and told them it is high, first told me it's only a 10th of an inch high. So I take out the pictures of the dipstick I took last night and so they blamed me for checking it while the engine is hot, then they told me they put the oil in when it is cold so it expands when it gets hot. I called BS on that, so then they said they put in the amount of oil the manual calls for, so I asked them how much that was and they said 5.95 quarts. So I called BS on that and got the manual and showed them it says 5.1 quarts. Then they finally conceded and decided to take some of the oil out.

Really not impressed.

Because of this thread I checked my oil, it was all the way up to the bottom of the twist in the dipstick. So I went to the dealer which did my oil change and told them it is high, first told me it's only a 10th of an inch high. So I take out the pictures of the dipstick I took last night and so they blamed me for checking it while the engine is hot, then they told me they put the oil in when it is cold so it expands when it gets hot. I called BS on that, so then they said they put in the amount of oil the manual calls for, so I asked them how much that was and they said 5.95 quarts. So I called BS on that and got the manual and showed them it says 5.1 quarts. Then they finally conceded and decided to take some of the oil out.

Really not impressed.

Hard to trust service centers these days even if they're already the dealer for the OEM...I learned my lesson in the past even if it was a Volvo dealer servicing my Volvo vehicle that's why I provided them almost exact qty of oil whenever I used my own (ex. 7.5 to 8L when vehicle needed 7.4L). I do agree though that never to check dipstick when engine is warm as the oil still hasn't settled down yet. I always check the dipstick when engine's cool like the next morning that way you get a better/more accurate reading. With my 2017 CX9 when I take it in for servicing next month I will use my own oil and provide them 5L when the vehicle needs 4.8L....that way even if they used up everything it'll still be within tolerance

Really not impressed.

For me, the dip stick marker showed it was almost 3/4inch above the full marker when I measured myself following exactly the manual on how to measure.

The manual actually says that you need to run engine so that it reaches normal operating temperature and turn off the car and wait for five mins so that oil returns to the pan before measuring dip stick. And the manual also highlights that one should not overfill as it may cause engine damage".

For the over-filled amount, I decided to school the service advisor guy and returned to the dealership with the manual page showing dip stick usage along with warning note for over-filling. Well.. that service advisor wasn't there, but other service advisor agreed on my argument and they did yet another full oil change (when I asked just drain over-filled amount). This time the tech was also different and he showed me the dip stick measurement in person after oil change showing correct amount.

Last edited:
I've had the over/under fill issue with several cars, dealerships, and service advisors/technicians over the years.
I always check before I leave and have any issue corrected prior to making payment.

The issue can arise when:

• the technician doesn't know how much oil should be used
  • the automatic measuring/dispensing device hooked to the bulk oil supply (frequently used by dealerships) is miscalibrated
  • the oil pan isn't completely drained before the crankcase is refilled.
Another issue can be use of the wrong oil; whether it's viscosity range or full synthetic vs. conventional or a blend.

The service manager, advisor, and technician at my dealership know that I'm OCD about such things and that I inspect everything prior to paying and leaving.
I haven't had a oil-related issue in years.

I reach 3500 miles since the oil changed. I slightly overfill when I did the change myself.
Oil used: Mobil 1, 5w-30 Full Synthetic
As can be seen from the below image the oil level goes down. During the oil change if the oil is not fill to the top mark, I ca easily see the Low Level light coming on by the end of the oil live
4970f591038f726f99af405b1eddb83d.jpg

Mine uses almost no oil in 7500 miles.

Either my book is wrong or my dipstick is wrong. If I change the filter and add 5 quarts, the oil level is just about an eighth inch above the lower mark; another tenth of a quart would make an insignificant difference. Almost 6 quarts gets it up to the top mark. Anyway, no problem at all running the engine at that full level. These levels are after running and drain-down time, but cold. Hot oil isn't much higher.

Strange, I added 5.2 -5.3 quarts and the oil was above the top mark...
What oil are you using?

The brand of oil makes no difference to the level. (For the record, I'm using a premium syn blend, Schaeffer #701 5W-30, that has given me excellent results for many years-- http://www.schaefferoil.com/701-synthetic-plus.html .)

Maybe my dipstick is wrong. Anyway, no problem running almost 6 quarts in the engine, what it takes to get the oil level up to the top mark on the dipstick (and, yes, it's pushed down all the way into the tube for the measurement).

Same here, have to put 6 quarts in to get to the upper mark on the dipstick. Hasn't used any oil at all over the last 3500 miles (currently at 13,500 miles total). FTR we have a '16 CX-9

I got the oil level warning light again for my 2016 CX-9. Dip stick shows it is slightly below bottom hole of dip stick after driving 4700 miles from last oil change. Synthetic.

Visited dealer. The advisor wants to try conventional oil instead. This advisor is crap unfortunately lying to me that 5W on 5W-30 means conventional and 0W means 0W-30 synthetic. I said that is just viscosity, and he still didn't budge. :-(

So I am going to try conventional to see if that makes difference but I don't like this advisor at all.

On my 2016 CX-9 GT AWD, the "engine oil level warning indication" light came on. I have about 13,500 miles on the car, and was just about 5,000 since my last oil change. This does not seem right.

Anyone else experience this?

Why Modern 4-6 Cylinder Vehicles Sold In the U.S. May Consume More Oil Than I'm Used To.

The amount of oil consumption will be a factor (in any case) of how you operate the vehicle. In the case of manufacturers who target internal friction within the engine, this impact will be even more noticeable. The problem here is old school auto engine design being interrupted by new tech subsystem design and theories (mostly) for fuel efficiency and lower emissions - none of which work extremely well together.

We either need completely new engine technology or regulatory relief from lower emissions and higher fuel economy - neither of which will happen. So, we are kind of stuck, at least in the mass production market.

Last edited:
I don't think the dipstick is too accurate. Manual calls for 5.1qt yet my dipstick would read on the low side. As long as I know I put the required amount of 5.1qt and drain out roughly 4.8qt, I should be good.

Back