Smart City Brake Support Tested

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
Pulled into a parking spot for breakfast about 2 hours ago. There's a bunch of leafy ivy on the wall that I parked up against. Brakes SLAMMED on and the car told me SCBS ENGAGED.
Thank you, Mazda. Not one leaf touched my car. LOL
I took a photo but must not have saved it damnit. It was a good shot showing one leaf about 2cm from my bumper.
This is actually the 2nd time it's worked for me. Last week I was at a T intersection with a car in front of me. No traffic coming. Car in front of me starts creeping forward going right. I turn my head hard left to look behind me to see where the wife's car was. We were sort of racing each other home. Not really racing but you know. Anyway I let my foot off the brake when I did this. Turned to look back forward again. Dude in front did NOT go. Went to hit the brake, and the car beat me to it. Literally a split second before my foot hit the brake. Now I'm 98% sure I would not have bumped the dude...but... still kind of cool that the car has my back. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good to know it works! I have not had it activate yet...so its reassuring to hear it kicks in when it has to. I’ve got the “Brake” warning during some spirited driving but never had the brakes engage

Good to know it works! I have not had it activate yet...so its reassuring to hear it kicks in when it has to. Ive got the Brake warning during some spirited driving but never had the brakes engage

Smart city brake support reverse has come on a few times when backing into my garage. Yep slams the brakes and message came on dashboard. Also glad it works.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not related to CX-5 but on topic, I also had the SBS engage on the highway on my Mazda6.

I was cruising along and was coming up on traffic that was stopping. I was braking already and timing it so I would stop about 1/2 a car length behind traffic. It was gradual, as I had about 1/2 a mile to react. Well, this wasn't enough to please the car and it alerted me on the HUD to Brake! and then a moment later decided to brake more (I was braking already) for me and slammed to a stop a full car length behind the car in front.

Not sure how that would have played out if someone was on my tail. When there's a quick slow down I like to brake and use all the room I have so the car behind me doesn't rear end me.

That sounds strange, I thought it wasn't supposed to engage if you were already using the brakes? I've had it come on a few times, but never when I was already braking. It's easy to brake too hard when it kicks in.

The few times it has some on it was unneeded and just made me stop more abruptly than needed. It went into safe mode from me pulling the dsc fuse so frequently I don't even bother resetting it.

The few times it has some on it was unneeded and just made me stop more abruptly than needed. It went into safe mode from me pulling the dsc fuse so frequently I don't even bother resetting it.

Yep, just another so called "safety feature" I couldn't careless about really.

Not related to CX-5 but on topic, I also had the SBS engage on the highway on my Mazda6.

I was cruising along and was coming up on traffic that was stopping. I was braking already and timing it so I would stop about 1/2 a car length behind traffic. It was gradual, as I had about 1/2 a mile to react. Well, this wasn't enough to please the car and it alerted me on the HUD to Brake! and then a moment later decided to brake more (I was braking already) for me and slammed to a stop a full car length behind the car in front.

Not sure how that would have played out if someone was on my tail. When there's a quick slow down I like to brake and use all the room I have so the car behind me doesn't rear end me.

Sounds like over zealous software installed in yours.

Not sure if there are sensitivity and distance settings for the SBS like the MRCC. From what you described, I'd imagine you'd experience it more than once unless it was just a once-off.

Not sure if there are sensitivity and distance settings for the SBS like the MRCC. From what you described, I'd imagine you'd experience it more than once unless it was just a once-off.

AFAIK there is no way to adjust SCBS settings in MZD.

The SCBS is way too sensitive in my 2016 CX-5. The triggering combination seems to be left turn with blinker on, and something irrelevant in the road (e.g., a leaf, any reflective element in sight like a lane marker/stripes/sign in the distance). I've taken it in to my local dealership three times. They drive it and can't replicate the problem. It happens 1-2 times per week, and I'm worried about getting rear-ended one of these days.

There's a way to deactivate the SCBS in settings, but this needs to be done every time you start the car. I wish my car didn't have it, as I feel I'm more accident-prone with the feature.

The SCBS is way too sensitive in my 2016 CX-5. The triggering combination seems to be left turn with blinker on, and something irrelevant in the road (e.g., a leaf, any reflective element in sight like a lane marker/stripes/sign in the distance). I've taken it in to my local dealership three times. They drive it and can't replicate the problem. It happens 1-2 times per week, and I'm worried about getting rear-ended one of these days.

There's a way to deactivate the SCBS in settings, but this needs to be done every time you start the car. I wish my car didn't have it, as I feel I'm more accident-prone with the feature.

I wonder if the laser calibration is off from the factory? They say they drove it but did they hook it up to look for codes. Not sure if the codes listed in FSM would even trigger the CEL. I would ask them if they could re-check the aiming.

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-05%20at%209.09.09%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-05%20at%209.09.16%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-11-05%20at%209.09.26%20AM.png

Happened to me 2-3 times.
My foot was almost on the brake pedal but SCBS beat me to it.
It works.

I have had mine go off in a couple of circumstances

- my drive is about 20m long and when I arrive home I hit the remote garage door opener and then coast down the driveway. On a few occasions SCBS doesnt trust my judgement that the door will be open high enough for the car to go safely in and slams on the brakes. I reckon I would have just made it under the door by maybe an inch or two!

- when towing my boat, we have SCBS rear on our cars, and to back the boat I first need to turn SCBS off otherwise it sees the boat as an obstruction and activates. I am told that using the factory trailer harness prevents this problem from happening but yet to have that actually confirmed in practice.

Back