How to fix a shaky rear view mirror

:
2016 CX-5
fixed a shaky rear view mirror literally in 5 seconds, thought I'd share if some fellow CX-5 owners are experiencing the same this,
there's a Torx T20 screw at the bottom of the OEM rear mirror mount, just need to re-tighten and problem solved....

another benefit was what I though was an unreachable dash rattle turned out to be the mirror rattling over the bumpy roads....

after i tightened it the mirror is solid and not shaking anymore, plus the daily road that I took that had dash rattle surprising disappeared right after I tightened the mirror Torx screw..... hopes this helps someone in the same situation......

P.S.> sincere heartfelt thanks to all our veterans on Memorial Day

[url=https://ibb.co/gG8oXa]

Be careful not to overtighten; have seen reports of cracks associated.

I started a thread a year and 7 months ago for the same issue, other than it's for 2016 GT with Tech:

How To Remove the Sensor Cover Behind the Windshield

As I mentioned in my previous thread, since it's pretty common with loose rearview mirror for 2016 CX-5, especially on the heavier auto-dimming one, I suspect Mazda is intentionally not putting enough torque on this T20 screw to prevent adding too much uneven force by the screw itself against the metal plate and windshield, hence may have less chance to contribute line cracks on windshield in the rearview mirror/sensor area. To me, the design needs to be improved. At least the metal plate which glued to the windshield where the heavy mirror attached to should be larger and thicker!

So don't make that T20 screw too tight or you may possibly break the windshield!

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors%252520Cover_03.jpg

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

How could you crack the glass by tightening a screw that's, presumably, not even touching the glass???
The small piece of flat metal to attach the rearview mirror is glued to the windshield. By tighting the T20 screw which presses the center point of the metal piece, but in the mean time pulls two side edges of metal piece attached to the rearview mirror. It creates the bend force to the metal piece. Since the metal piece is very thin and small, it may have the tendency to bend which also creates the force to bend the windshield constantly since the metal piece glued together with windshield.

Last edited:
Guys, sooo I have tightened the screw on my rear view mirror on 2020 KF CX5 3 times now and it just becomes loose again after about 500km of driving. Kinda annoying!! What they should have done was have a double sided tape between the mirror and the metal piece

This stuff is good. It dries kind of gummy, like the stuff they put on bleeder check valve threads. I got some because I had a flexible portable tripod and the end effector to hold my phone would work itself off.

Once in place, its re-usable. I put some on the adjustable stopper for my Delta tub drain too. Its jam nut was a joke.

This stuff is good. It dries kind of gummy, like the stuff they put on bleeder check valve threads. I got some because I had a flexible portable tripod and the end effector to hold my phone would work itself off.

Once in place, its re-usable. I put some on the adjustable stopper for my Delta tub drain too. Its jam nut was a joke.
This Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate Threadlocker seems to be a better product than Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 I used on this Torx screw.

Back