Heated Rear Seats; Heated Steering Wheel; and More??

tex2670

Grand Poobah
The all new CX-5 GT offers a package that has heated rear seats and a heated steering wheel. I hope this is a sign that those features (and maybe vented or cooled front seats, pano sunroof, etc.) may be on the 2018 MY horizon. (yippy)

Don't forget auto/electric folding mirrors.

Weird that no CX-9 comes with this feature whilst the CX-5 has had it for a few years now.

And the CX-5 doesn't even come in signature trim so this makes absolutely no sense from Mazda.

As well as Full color HUD, traffic sign recognition, radar cruise control with full stop/ start function and G-Vectoring control.
It's great that they put all this equipment in the CX-5 but as a CX-9 owner I can't help but feel it's a slap in the face to what their flagship SUV should have been.

Oh well, first and last Mazda.

Outside of North America, Australia is the CX-9's largest market.

(thumb)

As well as Full color HUD, traffic sign recognition, radar cruise control with full stop/ start function and G-Vectoring control.
It's great that they put all this equipment in the CX-5 but as a CX-9 owner I can't help but feel it's a slap in the face to what their flagship SUV should have been.

Oh well, first and last Mazda.

I think they went on sales - CX-5 sales are far greater than CX-9.

I suspect the next update for the CX-9 will bring some if not all these features from the CX-5

(thumb)

I think they went on sales - CX-5 sales are far greater than CX-9.

I suspect the next update for the CX-9 will bring some if not all these features from the CX-5

Perhaps from a volume economics standpoint, a company theoretically profits more on features installed on volume sellers. Thing is, no automaker functions this way. Normally, only a lower vehicle that is much newer than the flagship models may have new features not found in the premium models. Mostly because it's new tech. This is not the case comparing the new for 2016 CX-9 which should have everything and more than the new for 2017 CX-5. A Mercedes C-Class doesn't get more features than the S-Class due to it selling far more. What makes it all the more mind boggling is that the heated wheel is installed in our neighbors to the north's CX-9's.

A few heads should roll at Mazda. Sadly I've read one to many comments online from people saying that one simple omission was a dealbreaker. Mazda profits would actually be higher if they had included a few more of these features because it would have translated into a more successful model. And a successful flagship model acts to help the whole brands image and goes a long way. Simple economics and marketing.

Heads would roll if it affected their profits quite a bit which from looking at it from the outside, doesn't seem to be happening.

Heads would roll if it affected their profits quite a bit which from looking at it from the outside, doesn't seem to be happening.

Sure, they're still profiting but not as much as they could be in order to invest in product and grow beyond 2% market share. I know they say they're happy with where they are but everyone knows they want to sell more.

The CX-9 is selling at 1/10th the Highlander and lesser vs Explorer. Isn't that strange when everywhere you look people say they like the CX-9 best but a couple of factors turn them off? Most auto publications have named it the best mid-size crossover. Just saying that it's a shame that such a great vehicle is ultimately losing lots of sales due to some unnecessary omissions. For me, these things aren't deal breakers but it seems that a large portion of the buying public expect all the gadget boxes to be checked, particularly on top trims.

Sure, they're still profiting but not as much as they could be in order to invest in product and grow beyond 2% market share. I know they say they're happy with where they are but everyone knows they want to sell more.

The CX-9 is selling at 1/10th the Highlander and lesser vs Explorer. Isn't that strange when everywhere you look people say they like the CX-9 best but a couple of factors turn them off? Most auto publications have named it the best mid-size crossover. Just saying that it's a shame that such a great vehicle is ultimately losing lots of sales due to some unnecessary omissions. For me, these things aren't deal breakers but it seems that a large portion of the buying public expect all the gadget boxes to be checked, particularly on top trims.

I am not disputing you at all. Just saying they appear to be happy with what they got. I agree it is a great vehicle

Definitely anxious to see what changes are made foe 2018. My predictions...

Should be 100% chance for heated wheel when it already exists.

75% chance of heated rear heats since the CX-5 and all competitor's have it.

50% chance of ventilated seats. No Mazda has ever had it yet.

I don't expect anything else added on to the feature list.

Definitely anxious to see what changes are made foe 2018. My predictions...

Should be 100% chance for heated wheel when it already exists.

75% chance of heated rear heats since the CX-5 and all competitor's have it.

50% chance of ventilated seats. No Mazda has ever had it yet.

I don't expect anything else added on to the feature list.

I would expect folding/electric mirrors.

I wouldn't. Most competitor's don't have them. For most people, it's an unnecessary complexity. Real fun to replace when someone side swipes it off.

Thing is over hear, some of the competitors do. So a logical next step.

Thing is over hear, some of the competitors do. So a logical next step.

I just think if they are going to add anything, it needs to be creature comforts that most of the competition does offer. To my knowledge, the only competitor that has them is the Sorento SX-L (top US trim) which cost over a grand more USD over signature (your Azami) while being a smaller vehicle.

What's funny though is that all of these features we keep talking about are mostly exclusive to the very top trim of each competitor. Yet the majority of actual vehicles sold are below the top trim. For example, here in the states, the Toyota Highlander only comes with the panoramic roof, heated wheel, heated rear seats and ventilated seats in the highest Limited Platinum model. None of those features are even on the Limited and the regular Limited is about the same price as the CX-9 signature.

I just think if they are going to add anything, it needs to be creature comforts that most of the competition does offer. To my knowledge, the only competitor that has them is the Sorento SX-L (top US trim) which cost over a grand more USD over signature (your Azami) while being a smaller vehicle.

I think you are right. Mazda here is trying to tackle low end Euros and these (not 100% sure) have folding mirrors. So would be nice to get them, considering it is a largish vehicle and some of our parking spaces here are not that generous in terms of size.

What's funny though is that all of these features we keep talking about are mostly exclusive to the very top trim of each competitor. Yet the majority of actual vehicles sold are below the top trim. For example, here in the states, the Toyota Highlander only comes with the panoramic roof, heated wheel, heated rear seats and ventilated seats in the highest Limited Platinum model. None of those features are even on the Limited and the regular Limited is about the same price as the CX-9 signature.

Bean counters/marketing boffins believe if people want all this stuff, they are willing to pay the extra $$$ for it

The other upgrade I forgot to mention that has a possibility is of course Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Maybe 2018 will finally be the year Mazda puts it all together. They say they are trying but it seems MazdaConnect is a challenge to merge with the 3rd party platforms. Another one of those features that people actually will only buy a car that has it. Sad reason to decide on a car if you ask me, as nice as it is. The world's largest automaker doesn't even offer it.

The other upgrade I forgot to mention that has a possibility is of course Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Maybe 2018 will finally be the year Mazda puts it all together. They say they are trying but it seems MazdaConnect is a challenge to merge with the 3rd party platforms. Another one of those features that people actually will only buy a car that has it. Sad reason to decide on a car if you ask me, as nice as it is. The world's largest automaker doesn't even offer it.

It would be nice to have it but for me personally, it's a non issue.

Back