Engine Damage from Redlining?

mazda4lyfe

:
2005 Mazda 3
I drive a 2005 Mazda 3 automatic hatchback s, with the 2.3L engine. My mom's car (a CX5) was recently at the dealer getting an oil change, so I let her borrow my car to drive to work. Later that day, she told me a "funny" story: apparently, she put my car into manual instead of drive, and drove it about a mile before realizing it wasn't shifting and putting it in automatic rather than manual. The speed limit on most of her route is about 35 mph, so she was probably red lining it in first for about a mile. She commented on how she thought my car was strangely loud at first, and somehow didn't realize she was flooring it and going at most forty. Anyway, my question is could this have caused any damage or serious wear and tear to the engine or transmission? Thanks in advance for all replies.

LOL, it should be fine... The computer kept the engine from getting into the redline... She just gave the car an "Italian tune up".(eekdance)

I agree that the engine computer won't let the engine run beyond a safe limit. Also, what she perceived as "strangely loud" was unlikely to be as high as redline, since most people never use most of the available engine speed range or power.

With possible first gear and final drive ratios (2.816:1 and 3.683:1, from an earlier year of Mazda 3 automatic), and a rough tire circumference, I calculate 4900 rpm at 35 mph... which would be harmless.

Back