Maintenance Interval

Horton

:
Mazda CX-9
Question for those who have owned Mazdas previously.
I notice the maintenance interval (normal) is 7500 miles. For Toyotas, Hondas, and others, it's 5,000, with "extra" maint. every 15K and 30K.

I think Mazda has been at 7500 for a while. Any thinking behind that? Does more frequent maintenance actually prevent long term problems, or just a cash grab?

The longer interval is probably warranted given todays cars, but I'm curious what people's experiences have been. I regularly maintained my previous cars (incl. Nissan/Honda/Toyota) and never had a lick of trouble, but those were 5K intervals. Some mechanics say people don't do regular maintenance, which leads to issues.

Thoughts?

Due to the dust and heat here in the middle east, my CX-9 service interval is every 5000kms

Recommended maintenance/oil change for my 2017 CX9 under normal driving conditions in Canada is 8000 km (5000 miles)

Did my 08 CX-9 GTS every 7500 with full synthetic. The manual says oil, but heck I'm still saving money. Not a problem with the engine (just the transfer case busted). Doing the same for my '16 CX-9

Keep in mind that Mazda has their money on the line for the 60,000 miles of the warranty and up to 100,000 miles for those who bought the extended service contract. And their reputation as a relatively small car company is on the line. I trust the 7,500 mile service interval.

Engine machining techniques are much better than in the past. Gasoline is cleaner (much less sulfur, etc.). Motor oils are far superior than older formulations, even conventional oils. Fuel injection meters in just the right amount of gasoline for a clean burn. I'm OK with 10,000 mile services, but I'll do 7,500 to keep the warranty happy. I sold my '96 Volvo 850 turbo with 202,000 miles, ran great when I sold it, and I did 10k oil changes with a premium synthetic oil & Wix filters. My '01 Tundra with 130,000 ran great when I sold that, and I did 10k oil changes with a premium syn blend oil & Denso filters. My '06 VW Passat V6 seized the engine at 56,000 miles with 5,000 mile oil changes using synthetic VW502 oil & OEM Mann filters. I'll stick with Mazda oil filters during the warranty period.

So how often are you guys getting oil changes (full synthetic or not)? Every 5k or when the service maintenance oil monitor is due? Thanks

every 5k miles at the discretion of my mazda dealership which has been full synthetic with Mazda Moly (also happens to be when my maintenance monitor is programmed for).

It appears my CX-9 was programmed with the 5K interval (heavy), not the 7.5K (normal). Can this be adjusted by me, or do they have correct that at the dealer? Don't want annoying messages for 2.5K miles. (I'm not sure if you can dismiss them permanently. On some of my previous cars, you could not and it was a pain and blocked use of multiple-functional displays.

Back