2016 CX-5 accelerator racing

There are other mechanical factors which could contribute to this condition. Despite means of actuation, be it mechanical or electronic, there's still a valve which controls volume of air, which controls engine speed. Though unlikely, it is possible it may become stuck, say, if the throttle body is caked in deposits from recirculatory emissions systems. Furthermore, a leak down stream of the throttle plate will also allow uncontrolled air flow into the engine, which will increase engine speed uncontrollably. Also unlikely, but still possible.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Assumes engine CPU doesn't notice the engine speed doesn't jive with throttle position and cut fuel.

Just not possible. The brakes can easily overcome a racing engine. How do I put this - you may have accidentally pressed the wrong pedal? It does happen.

It is actually not possible with this vehicle. Not sure which Mazda models, but dealer confirmed on this vehicle, if you press the brake and accelerator at the same time, the accelerator will not function. It will alert trigger an error code in the computer which the dealer confirms there was noone.

And I had no floor mats in the vehicle which was their first concern.

The brakes would not depress. As I pressed down, it fought me as if power brakes did not work, and heard something akin to anti-lock kicking in but was different, and the more I pressed the less movement, as well as it accelerated.

Toyota's issue was caused by floor mats interfering with the pedal, although in most cases it was people pressing the wrong pedal, panic and then their leg locks down the accelerator making it worse. The car's event recorder notes these things for this very reason. Nowadays (and even before) the manufacturers have various methods for securing the floor mat on the driver's side - grommets, snaps, velcro, or a combination so they can't interfere. Pedal designs can also help with this.

In this case I took out the floor mats early winter, and my wife didn't like the winter mats and took them out right away and we just never put them back. That was the dealer's first question...

So where is this concerned member? If I was that concerned enough to join a forum and post a harrowing tale, I'd be here looking at it and responding to questions. It might not prove it's a hoax but it tells me something about the credibility of the writer and how the dealer will nevertheless have to waste his time checking it. Perhaps his bicycle has run away up a mountain and he's now answering questions on that conundrum.

So nice of you responding with all this sarcasm. I used to forums emailing when there are replies posted, which is not the case. Do you have a valid question or suggestion, or just trolling?

if the forum would have emailed me to notify of responses, I would have. I'll have to check my settings. And no, this is not hokum. I'm curious how many other instances and if anyone found anything relevant. Dealer found nothing on the computer, but Mazda Canada will be analyzing computer info in-depth. And I also found 2 NHTSA reports that are identical to this one, one a year earlier, and one a week prior to mine. Not many incidents, but definitely not a one-off.

hasn't ended to my satisfaction yet. Dealer has nothing to show for the cause. Hoping it's a one off, but doubt it. Considering trading in sooner than I would like to. Love the vehicle, but scared that I'm not sure I can trust it not to happen again. Especially if my wife drives it.

It is actually not possible with this vehicle. Not sure which Mazda models, but dealer confirmed on this vehicle, if you press the brake and accelerator at the same time, the accelerator will not function. It will alert trigger an error code in the computer which the dealer confirms there was noone.

And I had no floor mats in the vehicle which was their first concern.

The brakes would not depress. As I pressed down, it fought me as if power brakes did not work, and heard something akin to anti-lock kicking in but was different, and the more I pressed the less movement, as well as it accelerated.

You were pressing the wrong pedal and heard traction control cutting throttle in and out as the wheel slipped. The brake switch is very sensitive and the throttle cut off should also be a separate independent module (easy to implement and also better from a design rigor). This happens, by NHTSA estimates, thousands of times a year.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I just came across this forum by searching on "mazda cx 5 accelerator not releasing". I can definitely confirm that this does occur. I was driving home last Sunday through a residential community, same conditions: 40km/hr, dry road conditions, then braking for a stop sign with a few cars already queued and stopped in front of me. I had to absolutely mash the brake to bring the car to a stop with the engine redlining. When I slammed the car into "Park", that released the accelerator. All too much excitement for a leisurely Sunday drive!

Back