2016 CX-5 accelerator racing

Gadgets

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 FWD
Hey everyone, I just experienced a scary thing today, and was curious if anyone else has experienced the same.

I was driving my CX-5 in a subdivision, and after stopping at a stop sign, drove up to maybe 40 km/h reaching the next stop sign less than 200 feet away, and as I depressed the brake pedal, it felt similar to what traction control would do, but quicker and not as loud, and the accelerator kept going. I couldn't stop the vehicle even after stomping hard on the brake. I had to shift into neutral before I could come to a stop in the middle of the intersection.

Now, roads were wet, but I was not going very fast, and there was no floor mats to get in the way. And my foot was not pressing both brake and accelerator as if I did, once in neutral the engine would have revved up very fast.

Vehicle is at the dealer right now, and I filed a vehicle defect complaint with Transport Canada. Just wondering if a one off or if more people had experienced this and not reported it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just experienced a scary thing today, and was curious if anyone else has experienced the same.

I was driving my CX-5 in a subdivision, and after stopping at a stop sign, drove up to maybe 40 km/h reaching the next stop sign less than 200 feet away, and as I depressed the brake pedal, it felt similar to what traction control would do, but quicker and not as loud, and the accelerator kept going. I couldn't stop the vehicle even after stomping hard on the brake. I had to shift into neutral before I could come to a stop in the middle of the intersection.

Now, roads were wet, but I was not going very fast, and there was no floor mats to get in the way. And my foot was not pressing both brake and accelerator as if I did, once in neutral the engine would have revved up very fast.

Vehicle is at the dealer right now, and I filed a vehicle defect complaint with Transport Canada. Just wondering if a one off or if more people had experienced this and not reported it.

Thanks in advance.

Just not possible. The brakes can easily overcome a racing engine. How do I put this - you may have accidentally pressed the wrong pedal? It does happen.

Happened to me once on an old car. The Cruise Control was messed up and would activate on it's own and try to gt the car up to speed. But yes, stepping on the brake I was able to stop it (and that would disengage the cruise, too).

I am surprised how quick you were to file a DEFECT claim. Geez, give them one try to at least address the issue.

scary, I would get it checked out by the dealer.......I found some instances online also as you described......

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/mazda/cx-5/car-accelerates-on-its-own-problems.php

but not so much about this issue on this forum.......

reminds me of Toyota a few years back for unintended acceleration..... but never heard anything about Mazda unintended acceleration until your post....

keep us updated on what the dealer finds out thx

Toyota's issue was caused by floor mats interfering with the pedal, although in most cases it was people pressing the wrong pedal, panic and then their leg locks down the accelerator making it worse. The car's event recorder notes these things for this very reason. Nowadays (and even before) the manufacturers have various methods for securing the floor mat on the driver's side - grommets, snaps, velcro, or a combination so they can't interfere. Pedal designs can also help with this.

Just not possible. The brakes can easily overcome a racing engine. How do I put this - you may have accidentally pressed the wrong pedal? It does happen.

BINGO!

The brakes are MUCH stronger than the engine. If you had pressed the brakes as hard as possible, you will stop the car even if your engine is as full-throttle.

scary, I would get it checked out by the dealer.......I found some instances online also as you described......

http://www.carproblemzoo.com/mazda/cx-5/car-accelerates-on-its-own-problems.php

but not so much about this issue on this forum.......

reminds me of Toyota a few years back for unintended acceleration..... but never heard anything about Mazda unintended acceleration until your post....

keep us updated on what the dealer finds out thx

From this article:

"5 seconds after starting the vehicle it suddenly went into unintended acceleration from 5mph to about 40 mph. I immediately applied the brakes but the car would not slow down or stop. I then shifted into neutral which did nothing, then shifted into park, which did nothing. Still applying the brakes I tried numerous times to shut (push botton) ignition off but that was unresponsive. I hit a street sign which slowed me down and the car finally came to a stop but the engine was still reving loudly for another solid minute. I again was pushing the ignition button and the car then suddenly turned off. "

lol.... Such bulls***. Applied the brakes, shifted the neutral, and the car was still accelerating? Sorry, physics don't work that way.

Unfortunately I would have to say user error on this one, unless someone can provide video proof showing it is happening while showing which pedal was being pressed or not pressed. As other's have stated, the brakes are strong enough to stop a car at full throttle and even if cruise control was on, it would have turned off once the brakes were pressed. Also if I'm not mistaken, if the throttle and brake pedal was being pressed simultaneously, the car would disable the gas pedal.

Unfortunately I would have to say user error on this one, unless someone can provide video proof showing it is happening while showing which pedal was being pressed or not pressed. As other's have stated, the brakes are strong enough to stop a car at full throttle and even if cruise control was on, it would have turned off once the brakes were pressed. Also if I'm not mistaken, if the throttle and brake pedal was being pressed simultaneously, the car would disable the gas pedal.

You are correct! http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1076262_brake-throttle-override-becomes-the-new-standard/page-2

"All 2012 Mazda vehicles now have brake-throttle override as standard equipment. Mazda doesn’t have any different name for it.

Mazda’s brake-throttle override system works based on a signal from the brake pedal switch. If it detects a conflict where the car’s computer is receiving signals from both the accelerator and the brakes, the brakes take precedence. Brake-throttle override works on all vehicles, regardless of transmission or starting systems."

Interesting first post Hmmm?

I suggest we stop feeding it.

Reported.

Why would somebody report something as serious as this for a hoax. Doesn't make sense. Something must of happened.
And as far as first posts -- most people don't post unless they're reporting a problem.

Does anybody know if Mazda is 'drive by wire' or are they still using linkages?

Why would somebody report something as serious as this for a hoax. Doesn't make sense. Something must of happened.
And as far as first posts -- most people don't post unless they're reporting a problem.

Mazda's since 04-05 have been using drive by wire...

Toyota's issue was caused by floor mats interfering with the pedal, although in most cases it was people pressing the wrong pedal, panic and then their leg locks down the accelerator making it worse. The car's event recorder notes these things for this very reason. Nowadays (and even before) the manufacturers have various methods for securing the floor mat on the driver's side - grommets, snaps, velcro, or a combination so they can't interfere. Pedal designs can also help with this.
Pure crap, my '06 Corolla did it once or twice, floor mats weren't anywhere near it. Later they claimed it was a malfunctioning accelerator pedal assembly and had a recall involving changing that out. Truth of the matter is quite a few makes had drive by wire self-acceleration. Only Toyota got the fame and glory.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/19/toyota-lied-aceleration-recall/#.E4FeWnFjsqR

...and I don't even believe that story. The engine started racing as I started to depress the brake pedal. It wasn't as if I pushed the gas pedal down and it got stuck. And then this about the bad firmware:

http://www.edn.com/design/automotiv...ler-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

So, even though I wonder about the one post wonder, it's entirely possible.

Last edited:

I'm not saying it's a hoax...but are you serious? You don't know people, lol

So where is this concerned member? If I was that concerned enough to join a forum and post a harrowing tale, I'd be here looking at it and responding to questions. It might not prove it's a hoax but it tells me something about the credibility of the writer and how the dealer will nevertheless have to waste his time checking it. Perhaps his bicycle has run away up a mountain and he's now answering questions on that conundrum.

Pure crap, my '06 Corolla did it once or twice, floor mats weren't anywhere near it. Later they claimed it was a malfunctioning accelerator pedal assembly and had a recall involving changing that out. Truth of the matter is quite a few makes had drive by wire self-acceleration. Only Toyota got the fame and glory.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/19/toyota-lied-aceleration-recall/#.E4FeWnFjsqR

...and I don't even believe that story. The engine started racing as I started to depress the brake pedal. It wasn't as if I pushed the gas pedal down and it got stuck. And then this about the bad firmware:

http://www.edn.com/design/automotiv...ler-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

So, even though I wonder about the one post wonder, it's entirely possible.

No matter what the case may be with an accelerator, the brakes are hydraulic. Pressing the brake will firmly and completely stop the car, no matter what the engine is doing. Part of Toyota's problem may have been the floor mats were interfering with the brake pedal.

Nowadays most cars have another interlock that reduces engine power when the brake pedal is activated, making it even easier to stop in the event of unintended acceleration.

Last edited:
A few years ago C&D tested the difference in stopping with throttle stuck wide open. http://www.caranddriver.com/features/how-to-deal-with-unintended-acceleration

At 70 mph, a Camry (one of the recalled cars) needed only 16 extra feet to get to 0 as compared to normal operation. Basic physics are at play here - energy is energy and they turn it into heat. Going down a steep hill imparts huge amounts of it so the brakes are far bigger than what the engine puts out. Even if one loses power assist - a design case - the vehicle is still stoppable, as all vehicles were before power brakes existed.

So, as noted above, if the OP hasn't bothered to respond to all this in two days, why are we still bothering to discuss this hokum?

There are other mechanical factors which could contribute to this condition. Despite means of actuation, be it mechanical or electronic, there's still a valve which controls volume of air, which controls engine speed. Though unlikely, it is possible it may become stuck, say, if the throttle body is caked in deposits from recirculatory emissions systems. Furthermore, a leak down stream of the throttle plate will also allow uncontrolled air flow into the engine, which will increase engine speed uncontrollably. Also unlikely, but still possible.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Back