Options for cut wiring harness for LED tail light swap from 2008 GT to 2010 S

:
Mazda 5 2010 Sport
I recently bought a 2010 Mazda 5 Sport and decided I really liked the LED tail lights from the 2008 Grand Touring, so I've been waiting for one to show up in my local salvage yard. FINALLY one did, went over there, and in my infinite wisdom, I simply cut the wiring harness behind the body panel in an effort to save time. Buuuuuut, I didn't think/realize that A) the clip for the wiring harness to simply disconnect it was like 6 inches further from where I cut it (I don't have it, it's still in the car at the yard) and B) the LED connector is completely different both in location and type than the standard non-LED tail light. Furthermore, I see a molded "13.5V" near where the LED is on the LED tail light, and "12V" for the same brake light on my existing tail light, so I assume I can't just cut and splice the wiring harness from my old tail light......

sooooo.....

what are my options? Do the LEDs actually run at 13.5V? Do I need to go back and salvage the wiring harness plug(s) so I can replace the entire taillight harness as well? Any thoughts?

thanks!!!!

Attachments

• cut_harness.png
    cut_harness.png
    33 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
13.5 is what your voltage normally is when the car is running.
Just use a few temp wires to splice for a test, it should just work.

13.5 is what your voltage normally is when the car is running.
Just use a few temp wires to splice for a test, it should just work.

thanks for the response, and fair enough - the other thing is that the wire colors are different for all the bulbs (and LED plug) - short of using a multimeter to find which is which to match up to my wiring harness, any other option? (I suppose at that point I'm just being lazy and should just do the multimeter route)

Back