How do you confirm a wonky transmission?

Laurel

:
2016.5 CX-5 Touring
I bought a new 16.15 Touring CX-5 just about 2500 miles ago, and I have a question about how one identifies a problem with the transmission. On mine, each shift is smooth except the shift from 5th to 6th, I believe, and every time I get to that point, there's a hesitation in the car. It reminds me of the lull in power of a manual transmission at that point, but I can't remember if it's a "normal" transmission feel or not (I've been driving a CVT for 6+ years).

At what point do you take the car in and ask them to feel through the transmission and say if it's cool?

I can say my car does not do this. I pretty much know when it shifts from 4-5-6, anything below 4 is hard for me to discern.
To confirm just drive with a light foot and speed over 50 - if RPM drops thats you going to 6th. Should feel really normal.
Now granted FWD has pulling power of four butterflies in 6th but thats a different issue.

I bought a new 16.15 Touring CX-5 just about 2500 miles ago, and I have a question about how one identifies a problem with the transmission. On mine, each shift is smooth except the shift from 5th to 6th, I believe, and every time I get to that point, there's a hesitation in the car. It reminds me of the lull in power of a manual transmission at that point, but I can't remember if it's a "normal" transmission feel or not (I've been driving a CVT for 6+ years).

At what point do you take the car in and ask them to feel through the transmission and say if it's cool?

If something is truly wrong, it SHOULD be throwing a code. If in doubt, have a service tech drive it. They would love the easy money, as Mazda will pay for the replacement if it IS broken, and they don't have to "convince you to fix it".

Back