Trying to replace nearside rear indicator light cluster on Mazda 3

ashdale

:
cx5
I'm trying to replace the left hand rear indicator cluster on my GF's Mazda 3 as the plastic lens is cracked. The car is dated 2007 and unlike the examples on YouTube how-to videos, this cluster has only two mounting nuts, not three.

I've undone the two nuts easily enough and the old cluster is loose, but it won't come off. I can't swing it out enough for the two studs to clear the mounting bracket. Looking at the replacement I've got, I see a small plastic ribbed prong at the front and I assume that on the old cluster, this prong is held somewhere, but where? I can't see. It certainly doesn't go through into the rear wheel arch.

I don't want to lever the old cluster out as I don't want to damage the paintwork. As I'm going to replace it, yes, I could break it up and pull it out in pieces but that seems extreme!!!!

So, assuming it is the prong that's holding the cluster in, how do I get to the other end of the prong to push it, or twist it, or whatever to set it free?

The dealer who supplier the lens cluster also gave me a photocopy of a page (presumably from a service manual) with an exploded view of the cluster and its two nuts. It's a little more detailed than the picture on the quoted website but actually doesn't show the plastic prong!

Perhaps the prong is just a moulding point and isn't involved with hampering the cluster removal.....in which case, how do I lever the unit off without damaging the paintwork?

I wonder if the service manual includes some hints about disconnecting the prong. Maybe you can find an electronic PDF version online. It'd be good to have for future use and it may help you to resolve this issue.

Back