Any advantage of getting AWD over FWD in a city like Atlanta?

Well I bought mine with 73k miles and sold it with 120k miles.
Engine was rebuilt on purpose to add a mild street port.
Otherwise never had an issue. Drove it several times from Miami to Gainesville with no issues other than the 21mpg HWY and being very easy on the gas.
It has a 20 gal gas tank I believe. It was brutal when gas was $4/gal and the city driving mpg is like 14...

BTW....

MY AWD CX-5 IS ON ITS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrives tomorrow or Friday!!!

OMG
OMG
OMG!!!!!

Apparently there are coilovers for the new one. Unless the old fits new which I have yet to confirm.

I live in Cumming (north of Atlanta) and we dont get much snow up here, but I do notice the difference on wet roads. FWD can be a bit squirly on wet roads, though I havent tried a CX-5 FWD.
I'm sure the gas mileage suffers - I average 23.7 mpg mixed city/hwy, but I drive with a heavy foot so dont go by me ;-)
One thing you need to know is if you have more than 15%(?) wear on your tires and you wind up having to replace a tire for any reason (i did - long story) you will need to replace ALL 4, as the wear needs to be even across all 4 (AWD) or drive train wear can result.

Ya same with the Audi. Wait does that mean the CX5 has a full size spare?

Be persistent. We wanted an AWD but no one had it in our area at the time. We had our sales manager searched the Mazda inventory at the port of entry and every CX-5 on the boat. It took 22 days to reach our dealer from the Pacific Ocean, with the exactly everything we wanted. With added benefit of 3 miles on odometer and no holes on front bumper! :)

Is Mazda's port of entry still Tacoma? When I bought my '91 B2600i truck, my neighbor across the street (we lived in Puyallup) said he thought he drove that very vehicle off the boat. I'd see many lots full of shiny new Mazdas stored in the Tide Flats area of Tacoma, WA.

Well I bought mine with 73k miles and sold it with 120k miles.
Engine was rebuilt on purpose to add a mild street port.
Otherwise never had an issue. Drove it several times from Miami to Gainesville with no issues other than the 21mpg HWY and being very easy on the gas.
It has a 20 gal gas tank I believe. It was brutal when gas was $4/gal and the city driving mpg is like 14...

BTW....

MY AWD CX-5 IS ON ITS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arrives tomorrow or Friday!!!

OMG
OMG
OMG!!!!!

You'll thank us endlessly if you drive it with the fuse pulled out of curiosity to see what you came close to wasting your money on...

I live in Cumming (north of Atlanta) and we dont get much snow up here, but I do notice the difference on wet roads. FWD can be a bit squirly on wet roads, though I havent tried a CX-5 FWD.
I'm sure the gas mileage suffers - I average 23.7 mpg mixed city/hwy, but I drive with a heavy foot so dont go by me ;-)
One thing you need to know is if you have more than 15%(?) wear on your tires and you wind up having to replace a tire for any reason (i did - long story) you will need to replace ALL 4, as the wear needs to be even across all 4 (AWD) or drive train wear can result.

Yes, you are right. I got a nail in a couple of tires when I had my S5 w/ Quattro. Firestone only replaced the rears. The car was sliding all over the road. Had to have the fronts replaced as well because that is where most of the traction is.

You'll thank us endlessly if you drive it with the fuse pulled out of curiosity to see what you came close to wasting your money on...

Pulling a fuse to see what a FWD model is a poor analogy, you'd be hauling 300+ pounds of dead weight. It's not the way a FWD really feels. Resale value is a crap point, too. You're putting more money up front.

Last edited:
Where do you get 300 from? On paper is 125lbs diff between AWD and FWD. That's like a small adult riding in back.
Maybe there is some drivetrain loss but that is proportional to the speed.

Anyhow I have driven both and in normal driving they feel the same.

Last edited:
I have a steep driveway, frequently drive in curvy, mountainous areas, lots of rain, some snow, occasional ice.
I have owned RWD, FWD, and 4WD vehicles. For on-road, the FWD works very well. It has never felt even slightly disconnected.

Subaru made the claim a few years back, that driving all 4 wheels is more economical vs just the fronts, in an AWD. I think Mazda has a video of a journalist meeting that says the same thing...

Where do you get 300 from? On paper is 125lbs diff between AWD and FWD. That's like a small adult riding in back.

Mazda rates the FWD model 24 MPG city, 31 highway
The AWD model is rated at 23 MPG city, 29 highway
That certainly suggests a speed-dependent drivetrain loss

A 1-2 MPG difference between the FWD model and AWD model is pretty typical across the industry

I live in your area, Dimcorner and two years ago traded in an AWD Subaru Outback for a 2WD '16 CX-5 Grand Touring. No regrets here whatsoever, don't miss the AWD because I never really got to use it, like the CX-5 better with the stronger drivetrain and sportier handling. In our area, resale value should not be much different (between AWD & 2WD) because AWD is not a necessity or in great demand as it is up North. If you are so inclined, go with the 2WD.

Right now, am waiting for the '18 3 wagons or 6 sedans to come out to replace my '13 Subie Impreza wagon........wish they'd hurry!

Yes, this is the biggest pain in my book. I had a puncture in my rear passenger side and because I was at ~50% wear, they recommended changing the entire set. This is true for any AWD type car. My old Subaru's were the worst because if the air pressures varied even a little bit between the tires, it would cause problems.

Mazda rates the FWD model 24 MPG city, 31 highway
The AWD model is rated at 23 MPG city, 29 highway
That certainly suggests a speed-dependent drivetrain loss

A 1-2 MPG difference between the FWD model and AWD model is pretty typical across the industry

It's because the awd cx5 is also geared more aggressively.

Actually, the 127 lbs. is the difference for a 2017 model, the older ones have a weight difference of 156 lbs. Don't know where I got 300 lbs. from, maybe from another conversation about something else. But you're right, the normal driver (some one who doesn't push it hard) probably won't notice a difference between the two except for maybe in bad weather.

Last edited:
I live in Charlotte. I wanted AWD, I Got AWD. Getting 27 MPG commuting back and forth to the power plant, 31 highway.

One thing many universally agree on boards here
FWD is a pig on the highway in terms of pulling power and in terms of mpg.
In city / mixed my FWD will do 30+ on certain trips with 28 as avg for the tank (due to few shorter runs / idling etc).
I think the AWD in city will be 1.5 - 2 mpg lower for 2016. For 17 I hope since its shorter the highway issue with FWD will not be that bad. But for me I never every pull my FWD more than 75 mph in highway or 80 for certain 'easy' sections. So the EPA numbers has really no bearing to real world (EPA said 33 for FWD) - I beat the combined by 2-3 mpg regularly but highway - I never come close to 33. Never ever on my FWD.
If I strictly drive 60-65 on an easy highway section - less winds, single occupant, no to low AC, flat road; I can maybe hit 32. thats a distant maybe.

In my 2014 FWD I could hit up to 37 mpg on highway runs easily up until I had the trans swapped out at 32k miles, then I couldn't get past 32/33 highway. Still don't know if it was due to age or the trans swap. All around average for me was 30ish. My AWD I'm averaging around 27/28 and I'm at 1500 miles, haven't taken it on a trip yet but I expect to do slightly better. I'm getting as good as I was expecting and am quite pleased with my choice of AWD this time around.

Last edited:
Yes, this is the biggest pain in my book. I had a puncture in my rear passenger side and because I was at ~50% wear, they recommended changing the entire set. This is true for any AWD type car. My old Subaru's were the worst because if the air pressures varied even a little bit between the tires, it would cause problems.

ouch. did you know you could've purchased just one new tire and had it shaved down to match the rest?

ouch. did you know you could've purchased just one new tire and had it shaved down to match the rest?

No, I dit not know that. Can any tire shop do that? Not once has any shop mentioned that as an option! :eek:

No, I dit not know that. Can any tire shop do that? Not once has any shop mentioned that as an option! :eek:

No, not all tire shops have the ability to do that. Basically think of a wood lathe, but with a tire mounted on it... It gets shaved to the desired diameter.

One problem with doing the shaved tire is that even though the new tire will be same name, or model, there are incremental changes in tread design or construction that might not be apparent to the casual observer.

Another problem with the shaved tire route, is that the new shaved tire is still going to be different in terms of the heat cycling, rubber consistency, wear patterns. Although these particular differences will decline with age and usage.

Sometimes it can be easy to find a USED tire, especially in these days of the internets, with the exact tread depth you need.... although this method might take a little longer to find and ship...

Back