2017 CX-5 Rear Bumper Guard

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I'm thinking about adding rear bumper guard to my 2017 CX-5. The Mazda part number is 0000-8T-R10. However, I prefer the look of the 2016 bumper guard (0000-8T-R13). Can anyone verify that the 0000-8T-R13 can be used on the 2017 CX-5?

Would a nearby dealer have one on hand that you can place on the car to test?

Off topic, but on topic. Does anyone know of a bumper guard for the 17 that will cover the leading edge of the bumper?

Off topic, but on topic. Does anyone know of a bumper guard for the 17 that will cover the leading edge of the bumper?

I haven't seen any but don't imagine it would look great. I plan to have clear bra installed to protect the top and leading edge of the rear bumper.

I too would prefer a bumper guard which protects the leading edge. I see them on Toyotas, Nissans and Subarus and wonder it any of their OEM guards would fit the 2017 CX-5.

Has anyone installed the OEM rear bumper guard? Any first-hand impressions or pics?

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone installed the OEM rear bumper guard? Any first-hand impressions or pics?

s-l300.jpg

saw one on a 2017 red one on the road the other day, IMHO, it doesn't offer much protection, and honestly it actually made the car look bad,

the red color is absolutely beautiful, but the owner installed the bumper protector you are referring to and all I can see is the reflection of it up against the trunk lid,

looked horrible against the beautiful red color and broke up the clean lines..... just my 2 cents..... maybe go to dealer and check out for yourself on cars with the bumper protector installed.....

the reflection is visible in my red arrow below....... I think you're better off with the soft cover one that rolls out and over hangs the lip AND the vertical wall of the bumper, that is more useful and just roll it back up after you're done loading/unloading..... that permanent adhesive stick-on stainless steel doesn't really over any real protection and just reflects off the trunk lid

Last edited:
I you have a pre-cut from xpel for just that piece it's easy peasy to install yourself really. You can look up online but since it's a flat section it's not an issue.

yeah, the clear type like what Dimcorner says are good, I never noticed the reflections either until I saw Mercedes ML's with the horrible reflections especially dark or black ML's, then I noticed them all on time on other cars, doesn't look good IMHO, I guess average joes or soccer moms won't notice, but people who like to detail their cars and appreciate the original designer's aesthetic design will definitely notice, this is a old CX-5 with refelction:

I you have a pre-cut from xpel for just that piece it's easy peasy to install yourself really. You can look up online but since it's a flat section it's not an issue.

I could not add it to my cart on their website, so thought only dealers/installers could buy the piece. But I've followed up with an e-mail to Xpel to see if I can order myself.

As far as I know you can go to an xpel dealer and they can just cut one for you (at least my xpel installer has that option for me).
I had my whole front pretty much wrapped with it.

Just FYI.... The mirror caps are a PITA even for the pro installers. I went back 2x to get it done right.

I ordered the luggage area kit from Xpel and just installed it today. Pretty satisfied for the price -- $30 -- and they actually sent two pieces, perhaps in case you mess things up with one? Initially, I thought the piece wasn't cut right because the curvature was a larger radius than needed for the top of the rear bumper. But when installing, you can stretch and curve it into the right shape. It wraps over the rear edge, but doesn't cover all the way up the sides (which I'm OK with). Installation was pretty easy. There are a few small air bubbles remaining, but if I understand correctly they will work themselves out over time. Pics below ...

Two pre-cut pieces on a sheet:

20170704_093958.jpg

After installation:

20170704_100422.jpg

20170704_100323.jpg

20170704_100508.jpg

It's a clear film. Edges aren't really noticeable unless you look at them (or take a picture of them) at the right angle.

Do you think it's durable? Been thinking of a solution to protect the bumper there.

And how much does it fold over to the vertical part of the bumper?

Do you think it's durable? Been thinking of a solution to protect the bumper there.

And how much does it fold over to the vertical part of the bumper?

Don't know about durability since I just put it on. But if I understand correctly, Xpel is supposed to be a "self-healing" film, and others seem to be happy with it.

It only wraps a small amount over the edge (maybe 1 cm); look at the pictures carefully and you will see a white line where the film ends.

Don't know about durability since I just put it on. But if I understand correctly, Xpel is supposed to be a "self-healing" film, and others seem to be happy with it.

It only wraps a small amount over the edge (maybe 1 cm); look at the pictures carefully and you will see a white line where the film ends.

How is the Xpel holding up? I would like to install this as well. When you purchased the luggage kit did they provide instructions on how to install it?

Year later check-in. So, verdict?? Is it (2thumbs) or (notcool) ?

Back