2017 Roof Rails - Anyone Have Them?

GTScott

:
2016 MX-5 / 2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I am looking to put cross bars and then bikes on the rook of the 2017 GT. I see some "generic" pieces that fit but would like something a bit more substantial.

It appears that you can remove the factory moldings to reveal the connection spots and then cut the moldings. That does not seem idea. I am debating getting the factory rails as they *appear* to have pop out spots that I could use for Thule/Yakima towers. Does anyone have the factory rails? Can you confirm that they have knock outs?

Any help is appreciated.

-GT

Do you currently have the 2017 rails installed? I was going to write-up and post about my install of Thule AeroBlade crossbars onto the factory rails, but haven't yet. I did this for a few reasons... 1) Factory crossbars are still on backorder. 2) Factory crossbar load rating is 100lb, the Thule load rating is 165lb... I know bikes are lighter, but after a year+ of cinching down my kayak onto the factory crossbars on my old CX-5, they definitely had some sag in them. So, I didn't answer your original question, but I know you can install Thule bars using the same mount kit as for a CX-9 (right now Thule, Yakima, etc have no posted information for the CX-5). I also like the look of the crossbars on the rails more than the crossbars on stands for the fixed roof mount points (not that it impacts functionality at all).

I'll get the pics I took and post tonight.

The factory 2017 rails are available now. I ordered and received mine last week. I will wait to install them, since I only use them for a Ski rack.

My rails arrived a bit back but there was an issue with my side rail kit missing a piece. The missing piece is to arrive today so I should have rails on soon.

My rails arrived a bit back but there was an issue with my side rail kit missing a piece. The missing piece is to arrive today so I should have rails on soon.

If you are installing yourself, can you take some pictures of the mounting holes under the mold trim? And measure the thread size if you have the ability to do so? Thanks!

If you are installing yourself, can you take some pictures of the mounting holes under the mold trim? And measure the thread size if you have the ability to do so? Thanks!

Thanks for bringing that up. I will get pictures and do a tutorial.

Thanks for bringing that up. I will get pictures and do a tutorial.

Hey, GTScott -- Did you happen to get the thread size of the mounting holes? Also, based upon your experience, do you think the mold trim can be easily reinstalled after removal?

I installed my roof rails this weekend, and the mold trim should pop back very easily, unless the clips need a trick to catch back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with MKF242. I installed the rails and cross bars on my '17 CS-5 a few weeks ago. It looks like the old trim will go back on easily if/when needed.

The cross bars add a bit of noise when the moonroof is open. The front one covers up about 1/3 of the moonroof. Also, they are chrome. With a black/black car, they kind of stand out.

Other than those three, they seem nice. I'll find out for sure this weekend when my canoe goes up there. (praying I don't scratch up my new roof doing that :)

Here they are installed. Rails + Cross bars + Yakima trays

R83Nqj2.jpg

y8LeMvH.jpg

unlJHuY.jpg

That is sweet!
I've been waiting for mine. Almost every other day I call my dealer to inquire as I want to be the first in line.
The dealer has been informed to expect it middle of June but its almost mid July and still no show, not even a part number.
I have a feeling I'll get mine after the summer. Bummer.

I just installed the crossbars on mine today. This was more of a pain than I would have wanted.

You cannot put a T30 torx driver/bit straight on the screw, and need to screw it in at an angle. The tool they include is cut to where you get a little angle, but not enough to do full revolutions of it. Since I do not plan on keeping my crossbars on and only install them when I need my box, I ordered a ball end torx driver. I hope this will help, and I would recommend anybody who doesn't plan on keeping them on to have a ball end driver.

Also, I didn't have a tool in my roof rail box (it says it comes with one), but I didn't think of getting it out of the crossbar box.

Please cover your roof as it is too easy to scratch/gouge it while screwing in the torx bolts. Even with mine covered, I managed to gouge a little micro pit in my roof when the tool slipped from my fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much did it cost for the roof rails and cross bars?

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

Kabayan Nelson,

Here's the breakdown of the costs

Roof Rack - $579.40 + tax
Cross Bars - $432.70 + tax
Labor - $177

That's about $1330++

But I paid only 50% as the other half is dealer incentive I negotiated prior to purchasing my CX5.

Kabayan Nelson,

Here's the breakdown of the costs

Roof Rack - $579.40 + tax
Cross Bars - $432.70 + tax
Labor - $177

That's about $1330++

But I paid only 50% as the other half is dealer incentive I negotiated prior to purchasing my CX5.
You guessed right kabayan. How did you know? [emoji16] I'm from Manila.

I think you're dealer made a kill.

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

So that's why they call them stealership. [emoji33]

Sent from my ASUS_Z012D using Tapatalk

So I received in the ball end T30 driver and tightened the crossbar bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Having this tool really makes it much easier to tighten/loosen the torx screws. It is not perfect, and if you plan to torque to the torque specs, you will need something else. That being said, I recommend this to anyone who plans on removing the crossbars when they are not in use.

Latest posts

Back