2012+ Mazda 5: Steering rack and CV boot work

:
2012 Mazda5 Sport AT
My 5 has crested the 100k mile mark. I'm doing the normal maintenance and just paying someone else to replace my serpentine belt today. I've been noticing more wandering than previously while driving on the highway and some clunking from the front end. The shop said that the CV boots need to be replaced and the steering rack needs to be repaired ($1,000 just for that). I trust the shop and I'll have more detailed info when I pick it up later today but does anyone have experience with either of these, especially the rack?

Back from the shop with details:

Torn CV boots - Replace front axle shafts ($250 parts + $250 labor)
Leaking seals - Replace rack and pinion assembly ($675 + $325 labor)
Alignment after rack work - $105
Total: $1,600

Any thoughts? I haven't had a car need a new rack + pinion assembly before so I'm pretty angry about this. My whole rationale for purchasing the 5 was that it would be cheap to run and cheap to own.

I wouldn’t say these are common failure points, that I know/heard of. It could be the results from a road incident you were not aware of. If a shop notices something needs repair they will suggest you to replace it. I will say even the best shop can misdiagnose (quick to judge) sometimes.

-Did you hear clicking/ticketing or any unusual sound (cyclical) when rolling or turning left or right?

-Did the power steering fluid level constantly run low and needing top off?

Depending on the state of damage, these parts can be R&R but shops usually won’t do R&R – much easier and quicker to just slap on a new part since it is your expense. They do sell replacement CV boots and grease to repack an axle, and sell rack and pinion seal kits + bellows to R&R. Labor you cannot do anything about esp. it sounds like you know/trust the shop so the only savings would be parts, which you could have shopped around/supplied yourself to save a little. I will say $105 for 2 wheel toe alignment is on the upper end of premium. Must be a nice shop.

Do you have an invoice with product name/number they used? I’m curious what axle they put in; OEM axle cost an arm and a leg.

Things happen and not every car is perfect.
Yours might have suffer something with you or the previous owner or just equipment failure.
I have seen cars with torn boots after 3 years and I've see with original after 10, so depends.
100k miles is a lot and depending on the road, environment and luck you maybe have some unexpected repairs.
My other car just had a rear spring snap at just over 100k, all 3 others are perfect... so why this one??? at times you don't know, fix and move on.
The repair costs you posted are no ridiculous consider the time involved. You may ask for a package discount on labor as some work is duplicated during the work but parts pricing seems reasonable.

Just got it back after having it all done. 4-wheel, not 2-wheel alignment, too. Definitely drives better; I knew something was wrong, just didn't know what. I've driven the hell out of it in all sorts of conditions, including harsh gravel and lots of dirt roads.

Back