Obsevations yokohama tires

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
My 2014 CX5 came with Yokohama model 91 17 inch tires which are much disliked here on BITOG. As noted I live in FL and have found the tires to OK throughout its life. I've noticed that as I am approaching the 2-3/32 tread markers that the wear per 1,000 miles has slowed considerably. I originally calculated based on depth change per 1K miles that I would be at the 2/32 limit at ~ 26-28K miles but, at 33,000 I am still good. Just an interesting observation. Ed

They're an average/OK OE tire, though not particularly long-lived with a UTG of only 280 (if memory serves). People on auto forums love to denigrate whatever tires came with their car. I think it serves as a rationale for upgrading as soon as possible in the hopes of improving performance.(rolleyes)

I have a set of wheels/tires as well as brakes for sale off of my 2016.5 if needed/wanted as cheaper alternative to getting new tires. I too live in FL. PM me if interested.

The Yokohamas​ aren't anything special especially at the price of them but are much worse out there and do offer benefits over others.

Glad to meet another local CX5 owner in FL!

I have a build post in the Lounge section.

My 2014 CX5 came with Yokohama model 91 17 inch tires which are much disliked here on BITOG. As noted I live in FL and have found the tires to OK throughout its life. I've noticed that as I am approaching the 2-3/32 tread markers that the wear per 1,000 miles has slowed considerably. I originally calculated based on depth change per 1K miles that I would be at the 2/32 limit at ~ 26-28K miles but, at 33,000 I am still good. Just an interesting observation. Ed
For CX-5 Touring, the OE tires are Yokohama Geolandar G91A. And here is Mazdas247 community, not the Bob Is The Oil Guy. ;)

With UTQG treadwear grade at 280 on OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A, the tread life is about 28,000 miles. Yes I do notice for some tires, the wear slows down once they reached to near 2/32" tread depth. I guess it depends on different brand and model of the tires.

A lot of brands stop wearing fast at the magical 2/32 mark. It used to piss me off when I was running all seasons all year round instead of running snow tires during the winter like I do now. During the fall I would have tires at 3 or 4/32 left and felt they were not good enough for safe driving in the snow so I would feel obligated to buy a new set of tires to make it safely through the bad winter weather conditions because they just wouldn't wear out down to nothing before the bad weather, even though they clearly had months of good use in them.
I had a nearly new set of RT43 Generals on my 2014 CX5 before I traded it for what I have now, I almost wanted to ask the dealer to swap them onto my 2016, really miss those tires.

Last edited:
For CX-5 Touring, the OE tires are Yokohama Geolandar G91A. And here is Mazdas247 community, not the Bob Is The Oil Guy. ;)

With UTQG treadwear grade at 280 on OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A, the tread life is about 28,000 miles. Yes I do notice for some tires, the wear slows down once they reached to near 2/32" tread depth. I guess it depends on different brand and model of the tires.
Just to be clear, you're not equating the UTQG rating with a definitive mileage, are you? Because that's not what the number represents.

Just to be clear, you're not equating the UTQG rating with a definitive mileage, are you? Because that's not what the number represents.
Yes, I fully understand UTQG treadwear rating number doesn't equate with a definitive mileage. But from my past experience and comparing the manufacture tire mileage warranty, they seem to coincide to each other with a relation of UTQG treadwear rating X 100 approximately equals to the expected tire mileage.

The reason why you're noticing the wear slowing is because there is a difference in the rubber compound. The first 8 or so 32nds are going to be the grip compound which is softer. The base of the tire is a harder compound which wears less but also grips less. If you're there you absolutely need new tires now.

Just took the Yokohama tires off at 28500 miles, wear bars showing, noisy and in wet was like being on a frozen lake.
Put on a set of these:

BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/L 422 ECOPIA PLUS
225/65R17
65k warranty
SUV/CUV Tires
Load Index: 102 (1874 lbs)
Speed Rating: H (130 mph)
Sidewall: Black Letter/Black Wall

We'll see how they are, but thus far better ride, and much quieter.

I am at 45K in IL. Probably will change those before winter. It's been fine tires.

Yes, I fully understand UTQG treadwear rating number doesn't equate with a definitive mileage. But from my past experience and comparing the manufacture tire mileage warranty, they seem to coincide to each other with a relation of UTQG treadwear rating X 100 approximately equals to the expected tire mileage.

Except when they don't: "I am at 45K in IL. Probably will change those before winter. It's been fine tires."

not sure about which ones are used for the cx-5, but the mid trim mazda 6 comes with very good performance yoko's for OEM equipment. they are definitely not a bad tire. they offer good steering response and they are excellent in wet condtions, but noise and treadwear is not the best.

Mazda's are very well tuned to yokohama's, better then any other tire and you certainly can't go wrong with these. there is much worse out there...

Except when they don't: "I am at 45K in IL. Probably will change those before winter. It's been fine tires."

45K Wow! I'm at 20K and mine our toast (rotated every 5,000 miles).I will be getting new set next week ...any suggestions would be welcome.

Tire wear also depends a lot on driving style. I highly doubt I'll get much more than 20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its mostly the shell roads Iv'e been here 35 yrs and none of the tires last. I have 10 ply on my work truck and they don't last.

45K Wow! I'm at 20K and mine our toast (rotated every 5,000 miles).I will be getting new set next week ...any suggestions would be welcome.
Get General AltiMax RT43 225/65R17 102H tire as it seems to be the best for the money and for our CX-5. Try Discount Tire Store if you don't have a good tire shop in mind.

It's an easy general guideline to estimate how many miles you can expect from a tire. Of course your mileage may vary. My OE Toyo A23's has 300 A A UTQG, but at current rate of tire wear - 5/32" tread depth at 19K miles, they may not reach 30,000 miles and I rotate tires every 5,000 miles.

Yup road surface, driving style, inflation maintenance, rotation (or lack there of) all affect it. The treadwear rating is done by the manufacturer so it's most relevant comparing between models of a like brand in relative fashion. That's why it's not rated in miles. It's somewhat useful across brands but Michelin, Continental, and Yokohama might not necessarily rate it the same. Still a 600 or 700 tire is almost certainly going to last longer than a 300. But twice as long...... maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup road surface, driving style, inflation maintenance, rotation (or lack there of) all affect it. The treadwear rating is done by the manufacturer so it's most relevant comparing between models of a like brand in relative fashion. That's why it's not rated in miles. It's somewhat useful across brands but Michelin, Continental, and Yokohama might not necessarily rate it the same. Still a 600 or 700 tire is almost certainly going to last longer than a 300. But twice as long...... maybe.
Well stated!

Back