Bad luck continues with my 5-month old 2016.5 CX-5

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD
Hey all!

I was the guy who posted a couple of weeks ago about someone hitting my car in a parking lot. I was able to get most of it detailed out at a cost of $100, although a small paint chip and some scratches on the unpainted black portions of the bumper remain.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123860020-Someone-scraped-up-my-4-month-old-2016-5-(

Well, bad luck struck again this week. I was parked at (the same!) public park, walking the trail with my dog. Someone attempted to break in to the vehicle this time. They took a crowbar or some other object and tried to peel the door frame away from the passenger window. They weren't successful, but now I do have to make an insurance claim/file a police report to get this fixed. They tried in 3-spots, cracked all of the plastic trim on the door, scratched the rear passenger door's trim, cracked the weather stripping on the bottom of the window, and the frame of the door is now bent. I have no idea how this is able to be fixed, as the seal around the window is now compromised. I'm hoping for either a quick repair or a new door. The insurance company is inspecting this on Tuesday.

http://imgur.com/a/92rPD

I am royally mad at all of this

Omg! Wow. That's awful. Did you have something valuable in sight? And what kind of idiot criminal thinks you can pry open a door? Damn...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

that is eff'd up, sorry to hear, pisses me off when hard working people earn a little enjoyment and bums like this just want to take things.... agree with 7eregine , what kind of idiots think they can open a door by popping plastic panels ?? you sure it's not someone out to get you or something? it's too much of a coincidence.......

⋯ Well, bad luck struck again this week. I was parked at (the same!) public park, walking the trail with my dog. Someone to break in to the vehicle this time. They took a crowbar or some other object and tried to peel the door frame away from the passenger window. They weren't successful, but now I do have to make an insurance claim/file a police report to get this fixed. They tried in 3-spots, cracked all of the plastic trim on the door, scratched the rear passenger door's trim, cracked the weather stripping on the bottom of the window, and the frame of the door is now bent. I have no idea how this is able to be fixed, as the seal around the window is now compromised. I'm hoping for either a quick repair or a new door. The insurance company is inspecting this on Tuesday.

I am royally mad at all of this
Whao, sorry to see that and that's really upsetting! Do you happen to have a "4" ending VIN or license plate number? (I heard this's a superstition from China)

Yeah it's odd this guy was trying to pry open a door! Actually the two break-in's we experienced on two different vehicles were all with broken side window. For thieves breaking the side window is the easiest way to get in. Our CR-V at the time did suffer a long scratch by a metal coat hanger, but I simply touched it up with a long ugly scare left without repainting. Both times we only reported to the police but didn't bother to report to the insurance for damage.

I'd get an estimate from a reputable body shop before you go to your insurance for estimate. Depending on your deductible if the damage is not excessive, I don't even want to file a insurance claim. I don't think
the insurance will give you a new door. Even if they do, it's going to be a aftermarket door which I really suggest not to use it unless you're planning to sell you CX-5 after the fix. Like your first incident, try to keep your factory paint as long as possible, especially on your Soul Red.

Ugh!!!

Ok, you surely have had your little run of "luck". Hopefully this is the last of the bad...

(drinks)

I'd fight for a new door and there must have been something someone thought was worth getting in car. Sun shades and window not only are helpful in heat but also make it much harder for those who feel the need to do such things to see anything. Keep us updated.

If you don't want to go through your insurance, that might straighten out to a very acceptable level. Those black parts all clip on and that metal part will straighten up if you get a good panel beater on it.

I hope I never catch anyone doing that to mine or I will end up in prison.

That's some crud luck. When it rains it pours. Time to start parking elsewhere if possible?

On another hand, I have no effing clue why they tried that way. Just made a real mess of things for you.

It's a shame people can't work for their own stuff and have to disrespect other's property like this.

Hang in there. I had a valet parking attendant pull my '15 S5 into a concrete bench. It got fixed and I traded it for a '17 A4. I got rear-ended in the A4 by someone who was distracted just a few months after I got the car. All is fixed now and (knock on wood) no incidents, so I'm hoping the string of bad luck has run out. I called it the "Audi curse". Hoping there are no incidents when we get our new CX-5 in a couple of weeks. It WILL get better.

Hey all!

I was the guy who posted a couple of weeks ago about someone hitting my car in a parking lot. I was able to get most of it detailed out at a cost of $100, although a small paint chip and some scratches on the unpainted black portions of the bumper

Can't help with the current predicament, but for your bumpers black trim, try masking off the painted parts and doing a light coat of black plastidip over the areas that have scratches. I hit a tire chunk on the highway with my 14 andit scrapped up the black trim around the lower air opening. A couple passes with plastidip and it looked brand new and blended in perfectly.

Wow! That's just plain bad luck....I believe in the 2-3 incidents than after that you're good...this happened to me (a diff damage on my vehicle brand new couple yrs ago)...damaged the rear lid lip and bumper, after few wks damaged the side skirt and 10 days after the same side skirt damaged again all caused by myself! After the 3 incidents it never happened again! Lesson learned here is to just be more careful but no matter how careful you are accidents do happen!

I'd fight for a new door
I had a similar experience a few years ago with the Altima, only this time it was a parking lot "ding" where someone hit my driver's door, and took off (of course).
The dealer fixed the door the first time. The re-paint wasn't perfect, colour wise, and I could tell the difference.
Within two years, the door began to rust.
I took it back to the dealer body shop, and they said it wasn't worth trying to repair a second time, so they replaced the door.
They found a complete undamaged door from another Altima (same year, same colour), that had been in an accident.
The "new" door is perfect in colour match, and has not rusted out.
All this to say that if you can convince them to replace the door, then that is the route I would take.
Keep us posted.

Can't help with the current predicament, but for your bumpers black trim, try masking off the painted parts and doing a light coat of black plastidip over the areas that have scratches. I hit a tire chunk on the highway with my 14 andit scrapped up the black trim around the lower air opening. A couple passes with plastidip and it looked brand new and blended in perfectly.

Anywhere I can find a guide to do this? I got clipped and my black plastic trim on the rear bumper is definitely scratched up a bit. Never used plastidip before...

To OP...Sorry to see this has happened. Nothing pisses me off more than working extremely hard for something and than someone just goes breaking in or destroying it. ARGH!

Last edited:
Reading this gives me so much anxiety. I've always purchased slightly used cars and have never really had to worry too much. But getting a brand new CX-5 GT really makes me nervous about the possibility it might be targeted far more than other vehicles I've had.

Anywhere I can find a guide to do this? I got clipped and my black plastic trim on the rear bumper is definitely scratched up a bit.

Plastidip comes off any surface you get it on, but if it's not a thick coat it can be a pain. To stop any overspray from getting on the paint, just use some newspaper and blue painters tape and cover up the painted areas by the black trim you are working on. Take a can of plastidip, shake it up well and using smooth spraying motions just go side to side over the part with the scratches. A couple of light coats should be all you need.

Plastidip comes off any surface you get it on, but if it's not a thick coat it can be a pain. To stop any overspray from getting on the paint, just use some newspaper and blue painters tape and cover up the painted areas by the black trim you are working on. Take a can of plastidip, shake it up well and using smooth spraying motions just go side to side over the part with the scratches. A couple of light coats should be all you need.

Interesting. Cool, thanks!

I had the same type of break in. Screw driver to the window frame to pop it. Unfortunately the fix is not easy - it is body work to massage that metal back to spec. Also needs treatment to prevent rust. Dealer probably can't / won't fix it. Service King did a seamless job with mine - took about a week and cost the insurance company a couple thousand dollars. I needed a new window though.

Wow, that sucks. Impressive to see that the door held up to that level of abuse.

Back