Surging headlights?

:
83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i
Ever since I got my p5 I swore my headlights would randomly get brighter or darker for like a split second. But every time I asked anyone with me if they saw it they told me I was crazy but lately I've been driving more often and I swear it's there and I notice it! Any ideas why?

... they told me I was crazy...
Any ideas why?

Because you're crazy...
You need to see your doctor...
There's medication available that can help with your hallucinations...

OR ...

If they are actually are flickering... (you'll need witnesses for clarification)

You could do the "Big Three" and improve all your ground points.

The alternator is controlled by the ECU ...

Check and clean the connector on your alternator to help make sure your ECU can speak clearly to it...
You want a solid clean connection between the two.

The LG/W wire is the control wire coming from the ECU...
It adjusts the alternator's output voltage and current.
Make sure is is a clean/solid connection.

Because you're crazy...
You need to see your doctor...
There's medication available that can help with your hallucinations...

OR ...

If they are actually are flickering... (you'll need witnesses for clarification)

You could do the "Big Three" and improve all your ground points.

The alternator is controlled by the ECU ...

Check and clean the connector on your alternator to help make sure your ECU can speak clearly to it...
You want a solid clean connection between the two.

The LG/W wire is the control wire coming from the ECU...
It adjusts the alternator's output voltage and current.
Make sure is is a clean/solid connection.

I appreciate all the help but I have no idea what I'm looking at in that picture!

Since the alternator charging circuit is controlled by the computer. Besides the grounds as already mentioned, I would RE-SEAT the computer connectors. Since the computer is down under by the passenger feet, it is susceptible to moisture and corrosion.

Someone wanna explain "Big Three"? I tried using the search but couldn't find anything

It refers to the three main power wires on a car.
Alternator + to battery +, alternator to ground, battery to ground, and engine block to ground... (yes I know.. that's four)

The link above shows all the spots where our cars have grounding points.

Alright so I finally got time to finish reading everything and I just wanted to know is that kit still out there? Or should I just get some 8 gauge wire?

Our electrical system is generally considered underpowered and quite sucky...

The "Big Three" mod. is a great idea and can really help... Especially when you throw in the stereo and the 140 amp high output alternator.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...unding-Kit-for-MSP&s=&highlight=1st grounding

The manufacturer for this alternator is "Maniac EM". Not a known brand name at all. Anyone on here have this alternator on their P5 and can give feedback?

Also, is it plug n play? The one comment I found in that Amazon listing suggests it may not be.

comment.jpg

Ok guys I did the big 3 mod and now my charging light is on. Any ideas?

I used 0 gauge monster wire.

Check the connector and ground at the alternator.

Check your voltage at the battery terminals before and after starting your car.

Is it possible that I'm using too big of a gauge of wire?

I really don't think that's possible...

You may have a bad alternator... The better conductivity could have been the last straw for the alternator.

Your voltage at the battery with the car off should be 12-13 volts then shoot up to ~ 14.5 volts with the car running.

Well I just reattached the stock wires and called it a day. It's possible I need a new alternator and of course when I am going to need struts too!

When my battery light came on, my alternator had crapped out and I was getting 17.5 Volts at the battery terminals.

Ok all fixed! I was stupid with the way I ran everything and now it works 100%!

I'm wondering if the issue I'm having with my alternator could be similar...my headlights will surge when I'm rolling the windows down or up, but the biggest issue I'm having is belt squealing when there are too many loads on. Headlights and radio is fine, A/C comes on, squeal...cigarette lighter pushed in, squeal...I also get the occasional squeal on startup. I've discussed this a little bit with you @pcb, and remember you saying it's a known issue, the tightness on that particular belt...too tight and the alternator pulley starts to fail, too loose and it squeals...

I'm wondering if I should do the "Big 3" as well as a reman/new alternator..? I just wanna use my A/C, Texas is HOT right now!!!

Back