Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ initial impressions

:
2015 Soul Red 6 Sport Auto 2016 Accord EX Auto
Wife had some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ put on her Sport recently. Stock size, V rated. Original Yokohama Advans hit 30k miles when they hit the wear bars, and started to make some noise, too.

To those not familiar with this tire it's a refresh of the original A/S 3 with improved winter/snow performance due to changes in the tread compound.

These are on the car now after being special ordered as an alternative to the Cooper, Goodyear, and Firestone standard or touring all seasons everyone stocks locally here. She likes the handling of the car so we went more agressive than what's available locally. Tires took a couple days to arrive. Looks like the shop had a tough time getting them on as there was a lot of tire lube on the wheels and bead of the tires.

Here's initial impressions:

Pros

They're quiet. Silent on ashphalt, mild hum on textured concrete.
They seem to have less rolling resistance. The car coasts down a lot less now at highway speeds after lifting off the throttle.
They stick really well dry or wet. I'll push it more after they've been properly heat cycled and scrubbed in.
Rim protector bead is nice. We parallel park quite a bit downtown nowadays.
Tread pattern is not agressive looking at all, very stealth.
Sidewall is simple and not overstyled. Will make applying dressing much easier.
Turn-in is more immediate. More on this below.
Made in USA (I know the company is French).

Cons

Steering feel is completely gone, and the steering effort is reduced, with a major reduction in on-center weighting at higher speeds. This is shocking after reading numerous reviews stating the opposite.
They look narrower than the Yokos did. The rim protector increases the width near the rim, but then the narrower tread gives the tire a slight stretched look now.
The ride is much softer. This is also the opposite I was expecting after reading up on these. Same 36 psi as the Yokos BTW.
Faster turn-in and what feels like softer sidewalls makes the car a little twitchy at higher speeds.
Price. They were the most expensive tire out of all we considered.

Overall a decent tire so far. A little disappointed they're so squishy but that may change after a tank or three of fuel breaking them in.

Last edited:
Thanks for a very thorough review. These are the tires that I have been leaning towards, but your comments about the soft sidewalls and being twitchy at higher speeds has me nervous.

Do you think this is a real issue or are you just trying to be picky?

Thanks for a very thorough review. These are the tires that I have been leaning towards, but your comments about the soft sidewalls and being twitchy at higher speeds has me nervous.

Do you think this is a real issue or are you just trying to be picky?

It's an observation 98/100 drivers probably wouldn't notice, not really an issue. My wife likes the grip and quietness, other than that she can't tell a difference.

Overall these are the best performing 3 season tires I have had so far.

As an update these tires do stick like mad rain or shine. They ride softer until you hit something big or abnormally sharp, at which point they do "hit" a little harder.

appreciate the information. I have Mich Pilot Sport A/S 3s now and have been so impressed with them that I will find their successor and get them. I had some yoko invigors and the tread separated along the shoulder/sidewall to the point that steel belts were showing...I've never had that happen on any tire I've owned on any car, even slick bald 2/32nd Pirellis I had on a 323-LX.

Back