Two things holding me back

To be fair, Mazda's paint has been pretty thin. Are the 2017's any better in this regard?

This thread is a head shaker. You Mazda fanboys slay me. I love the way @mango gets under your skin (repeatedly).

I'll replace the wife's '13 Accord Coupe in the-not-too-distant-future. I too, am here to learn (not argue). To the OP: I'd be careful here - this forum is like most other brand-specific forums - objectivity comes in at second place to opinion. Just like my 4Runner forum, someone comes on shopping against, say, Jeep, and they get hammered.

The most valuable thing I've learned here is CX5's likely reliability. Very few real issues, which is great. Reliability is the absolute #1 criteria in my choice of cars. But against the real world of the CRV, the CX5 is just too new - that's not bad necessarily, just fact.

I've owned lots of CRVs. 3 brand new ones, and 3 bought used for kids. They indeed hold value. Don't believe it? Shop for CUVs in the 100K to 200K mileage range, and see which commands better prices, BY FAR. Been there, done that, irrefutable. Is that important in your car choice? - dunno, but they're not worth 25% more (used) because the world's wrong.

I had a 16 month old 2010 CRV get totaled, and I was absolutely amazed by it's residual value.

I'm only posting this to let the OP hear a more objective POV re CRV. A car is an expensive transportation appliance, and what you need from it is up to you. The relentless picking of nits in these CRV threads amuse me. The lack of objectivity by a few posters, simply points out their lack of overall knowledge.

The CRV just works, works well year after year after year, and the CRV and CX5 deserve to be top competitors in this segment. When our time comes, I'll likely go get a demo car from each, and spend half a day side-by-side, with the wife, and let her choose. (Me? I don't care for driving a CVT - but she could care less, and the Accord's CVT has been 100%, so .... (Her? She really loves red, so .....))

You're not wrong. It's a Mazda forum, so naturally opinion and bias is a big part of it.

Secondarily, I see either vehicle appealing to different groups. As a single, 26 year old male (who bought vehicle at 22), was I going to buy a CR-V or a CX-5? Easy answer there. CX-5 fulfilled me wanting something bigger than a hatchback (w/ AWD), but wasn't boring to drive.

I love the way @mango gets under your skin (repeatedly).

Hey, we need to have some fun right? :)
The part I love about it is that the joke's ultimately on him. Trolling a forum where he has no intent on buying/owning just to "warn" us about the CX-5 is priceless. Luckily potential Mazda customers are smarter than the average consumer and can see what's happening.

To be fair, Mazda's paint has been pretty thin. Are the 2017's any better in this regard?

Oh seriously? Stop posting subjective BS like this, unless you have even the most remote real evidence.

"To be fair"??? Honestly, to be fair would to be quiet.

Oh seriously? Stop posting subjective BS like this, unless you have even the most remote real evidence.

Someone mentioned the paint so I was just curious. Not sure what prompted that response???

My 2014 definitely has thin paint.

Dude, Mazda's paint being thin is a concern all over the net for all models. Has been for years.

Maybe you should be the one to be quiet and take a time out on your Grandma's couch...

Hey, we need to have some fun right? :)
The part I love about it is that the joke's ultimately on him.

*Well, no, it's not. He knows more about the two cars than most posters.

Trolling a forum where he has no intent on buying/owning just to "warn" us about the CX-5 is priceless.

*Now that I cannot argue with - some level of entertainment for him I suppose - like most trolls. Still .... amusing .... how he annoys some who just can't resist feeding him. What befuddles me is how functioning (assumption) adults find the time for all of it.

Luckily potential Mazda customers are smarter than the average consumer and can see what's happening.

*Self-aggrandizement much?

This thread is a head shaker. You Mazda fanboys slay me. I love the way @mango gets under your skin (repeatedly).

I'll replace the wife's '13 Accord Coupe in the-not-too-distant-future. I too, am here to learn (not argue). To the OP: I'd be careful here - this forum is like most other brand-specific forums - objectivity comes in at second place to opinion. Just like my 4Runner forum, someone comes on shopping against, say, Jeep, and they get hammered.

The most valuable thing I've learned here is CX5's likely reliability. Very few real issues, which is great. Reliability is the absolute #1 criteria in my choice of cars. But against the real world of the CRV, the CX5 is just too new - that's not bad necessarily, just fact.

I've owned lots of CRVs. 3 brand new ones, and 3 bought used for kids. They indeed hold value. Don't believe it? Shop for CUVs in the 100K to 200K mileage range, and see which commands better prices, BY FAR. Been there, done that, irrefutable. Is that important in your car choice? - dunno, but they're not worth 25% more (used) because the world's wrong.

I had a 16 month old 2010 CRV get totaled, and I was absolutely amazed by it's residual value.

I'm only posting this to let the OP hear a more objective POV re CRV. A car is an expensive transportation appliance, and what you need from it is up to you. The relentless picking of nits in these CRV threads amuse me. The lack of objectivity by a few posters, simply points out their lack of overall knowledge.

The CRV just works, works well year after year after year, and the CRV and CX5 deserve to be top competitors in this segment. When our time comes, I'll likely go get a demo car from each, and spend half a day side-by-side, with the wife, and let her choose. (Me? I don't care for driving a CVT - but she could care less, and the Accord's CVT has been 100%, so .... (Her? She really loves red, so .....))

I get it you are a nickel and dime guy wanting transportation at the lowest cost possible. Couldn't care less if CRVs until 2016 were certified left lane hoggers - not only in USA but people all the way from US to SE Asia to Europe - pretty much the whole world. There are posts in Thailand cursing CRVs for hogging left lane - Thailand - Buddhists non violent happy people.
Couldn't get out of its own way if its life depended on it, didnt care how it handled and how it looked. Economy is tough and there are more people wanting to push that dollar far - or maybe you want to spend your money on other things than cars. What pisses me off is you accuse others of narrow vision and yet you cant see some of the basic short comings on the CRV.
The CRV for a decade (06-16) missed its EPA by 15% or more, depsite having an average owner age of 60 years, despite being god awful slow and ugly. In that decade if you say gas was about $3.1 or so average and you drove 120k miles - poof 2 grand gone. So your resale surplus is gone.
If 60 year olds cant hit EPA in your car, I cant imagine what we Mazda owners would get. I am guessing 20 mpg.

In a way we Mazda owners are very much like CRV owners. Its just that we dont want to assault the general public with an ugly POS for being cheap.

Last edited:
Oh an on 2017 CRV - its a gem. Tiny Turbo mated with CVT that
Tows less / Hauls less
Is worse climbing hills than its 4 banger cousin in base CRV (Reviewers)
Gets 20 - 21 mpg in City driving (Reviewers - 3 of the websites actually)

But it has AA. So it overcomes the drawbacks.

lol at resale. Go get a jeep wrangler if you care about it that much :)

FWIW, last week my dealer has sent me two emails and actually called me on the phone to see if I was interested in selling them my '14 and moving into a 17. I'm thinking there's pretty damn good resale on it.

The CRV for a decade (06-16) missed its EPA by 15% or more, depsite having an average owner age of 60 years, despite being god awful slow and ugly. In that decade if you say gas was about $3.1 or so average and you drove 120k miles - poof 2 grand gone. So your resale surplus is gone.
If 60 year olds cant hit EPA in your car, I cant imagine what we Mazda owners would get. I am guessing 20 mpg.

In a way we Mazda owners are very much like CRV owners. Its just that we dont want to assault the general public with an ugly POS for being cheap.

I love your posts Kaps. (drinks)

lol at resale. Go get a jeep wrangler if you care about it that much :)

FWIW, last week my dealer has sent me two emails and actually called me on the phone to see if I was interested in selling them my '14 and moving into a 17. I'm thinking there's pretty damn good resale on it.

Aside from "The Boss went fishing, so we can do what we want while he's gone" .... that's the second oldest ploy in The Car Sales Handbook. I get a personalized letter from Toyota every quarter "needing" exactly my year of 4Runner due to high demand. It's called "get 'em in the door, iron out the details later".

Reliability is the absolute #1 criteria in my choice of cars. But against the real world of the CRV, the CX5 is just too new - that's not bad necessarily, just fact.

The new CR-V is significantly newer than the new CX-5. In particular, the CX-5's drivetrain is in its 5th model year. The CR-V's drivetrain is all new for 2017.

A car is an expensive transportation appliance

There's the difference in perspective right there. A lot of people don't care too much how their car drives or what it looks and feels like, they just want to carry their kids or their stuff and rack up miles safely without a lot of fuss, and that's why Honda and Toyota do consistently well year after year. Honda makes good appliances. They're generally reliable and competent and don't do too much wrong, but they also don't do much to inspire me to own them.

I used to be a Honda fan in the 1990s, but I think they have lost their mojo. The last Honda I test drove that left me wanting it was a Prelude in 2000. I still love the NSX. I'm a rider and I have a 1990 Honda CB-1 and used to have a 1997 Honda VFR750F, but there hasn't been a Honda motorcycle that I've found desirable in a long time either.

A car is an expensive transportation appliance, and what you need from it is up to you. The relentless picking of nits in these CRV threads amuse me. The lack of objectivity by a few posters, simply points out their lack of overall knowledge.

And there's the difference between a Honda fan and a Mazda fan. With the exception of Uno, I don't think there are too many Mazda owners here that just see it as an appliance. If all you want is an appliance, then sure go buy a Honda.

Sure, call it lack of objectivity, but the number of features on a spec sheet don't interest me when a Mazda is far more pleasurable for me to drive.

What do you mean "You Mazda People"?

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder970/67136970.jpg

I've recommended the CRV over the CX-5 for certain folks in these forums no less than 4 times. Mango does get brownie points for getting under people's skin at times. That said he's a guy with a really bad experience with a CX-5 rental and things the CRV is the best thing since sliced bread. If you think about he's a really entertaining guy. But is he really someone to look towards for unbiased comparisons between the CX-5 and CRV? nah I'd suggest readers on the fence to take his comments with a grain on salt....and con chili.

Back