Two things holding me back

Well if it helps I purchased my Mazda3 S hatch in 2006 with 6 miles. Raced 5 autocrosses and won 3. And now about to trade it in with 120,000 miles on it and the only issue with it was a dirty MAF and a blown strut.

You bring up a good point regarding Mazdas in autocrossing. The Mazda Miata is probably the most popular car you will see in autocross events across the world. The Mazda3's size and agility should allow it to be competitive for its class in its own right.

In autocrossing it all boils down to driver skill and a car which is driver centric around curves. A 150hp Miata killing Mustangs, M3's, and Ferrari's is so cliche yet happens day in and day out. That said autocrossing is all about improving one's driving skill. Not allowing the car to drive you faster but rather relying on driving skill sets to move the car faster(and breaking techniques) and above all having fun. A highly skilled combatant with a butter knife can defeat a novice with a sword. I think if more people got into auto crossing they would appreciate a small SUV like the CX-5 a lot more.

You bring up a good point regarding Mazdas in autocrossing. The Mazda Miata is probably the most popular car you will see in autocross events across the world. The Mazda3's size and agility should allow it to be competitive for its class in its own right.

In autocrossing it all boils down to driver skill and a car which is driver centric around curves. A 150hp Miata killing Mustangs, M3's, and Ferrari's is so cliche yet happens day in and day out. That said autocrossing is all about improving one's driving skill. Not allowing the car to drive you faster but rather relying on driving skill sets to move the car faster(and breaking techniques) and above all having fun. A highly skilled combatant with a butter knife can defeat a novice with a sword. I think if more people got into auto crossing they would appreciate a small SUV like the CX-5 a lot more.

I agree completely.

Actually trying to talk the ole girl into autoXing the CX-5 at the next event just to see what it/I can do. I think I can put it on the podium with my driving skill alone. Wouldn't that be something...

I agree completely.

Actually trying to talk the ole girl into autoXing the CX-5 at the next event just to see what it/I can do. I think I can put it on the podium with my driving skill alone. Wouldn't that be something...

The parking lot autox variety seems like fun. The defensive driving skill sets alone is highly beneficial. You also increase the car's relative value (to yourself as the owner) especially if you're using it as your daily driver.

The parking lot autox variety seems like fun. The defensive driving skill sets alone is highly beneficial. You also increase the car's relative value (to yourself as the owner) especially if you're using it as your daily driver.

It's a lot of fun, but I win Everytime and get tired of paying the tire bill. That's what is holding girl back, she saw the tire bill of the Evo and about s*** a brick. ��

No, I believe it's actually '420 things holding me back". ��

That thread is funny. It has comments like this:

"2nd row seating and small cargo area -- both were deal breakers. IMO the 2nd row seating was only adequate for someone 5'0" or under"

I just did my 3rd test drive, 3rd dealer for 2017. . First two said "definitely AA and AC coming in a few months via a USB download. The one today said they were told by Mazda definitely not in 2017 or 2018s. Sigh. Who knows.

Sorry, shouldn't have been so snarky. I work from home, so it's not like there is anyone looking over my shoulder. It's just that the closest Mazda dealer is 45 minutes away, so it could easily be 3 hours out of my work day to go test drive one. I like to spend my nights and weekends doing more fun stuff. We have 3 cars in the family, but I hate the buying process.

Sorry, shouldn't have been so snarky. I work from home, so it's not like there is anyone looking over my shoulder. It's just that the closest Mazda dealer is 45 minutes away, so it could easily be 3 hours out of my work day to go test drive one. After 3 hours I'm 50 emails behind. And I like to spend my nights and weekends doing more fun stuff.

Yes, we have 3 cars in the family, but I hate the buying process. We rode out our 39-month lease on our G37 Convertible until it ended because I dreaded replacing it. The CX-5 replaced the G. We test drove it once and placed the order. I did all the research prior to the test drive and all the reviews were stellar. It didn't disappoint, and we are loving it. Same with the A4. One test drive and I knew that was the car. 8 months later and no regrets. And yes, I do need to keep working to pay for them!

Back