Two things holding me back

I'm shopping compact SUVs although my purchase timeframe is about 10 months away, and both the CX-5 and CR-V are on my short list. But the following two things would really hold me back on the CX-5 -- one important and the other less so.

1) Lack of Android Auto, although I keep hearing that it will get here and probably be retrofitted to existing '17 CX-5s.

2) We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 S-GT, which we really like. But from what I've seen of the CX-5 inside and outside, it would seem that we had two different versions of the same car: one low-slung and the other jacked up! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've always liked some variety in my vehicles. What's more, our 3 is in Solar Red and the CX-5 is always shown in a color that is very close to that. Two red sort-of-lookalike Mazdas in the same garage? Not sure if I could handle that. (rolleyes)

Android auto / apple auto update is in the pipeline, and as far as I know would work for the 2016 and up CX-5, as well as the 2014 up Mazda3..., 2014 up mazda6, etc.. any system that used the Mazda Connect.

Your 2015 Mazda3 is called SOUL RED, and the CX5 up until 2016.5, was also the same SOUL RED.
New 2017 is Soul Red Crystal, which again is nearly identical and would use the same touch up paint as your 2015 Mazda3.

Of course the CX-5 does come in other colors....(burp)

I'm shopping compact SUVs although my purchase timeframe is about 10 months away, and both the CX-5 and CR-V are on my short list. But the following two things would really hold me back on the CX-5 -- one important and the other less so.

1) Lack of Android Auto, although I keep hearing that it will get here and probably be retrofitted to existing '17 CX-5s.

2) We also have a 2015 Mazda 3 S-GT, which we really like. But from what I've seen of the CX-5 inside and outside, it would seem that we had two different versions of the same car: one low-slung and the other jacked up! Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've always liked some variety in my vehicles. What's more, our 3 is in Solar Red and the CX-5 is always shown in a color that is very close to that. Two red sort-of-lookalike Mazdas in the same garage? Not sure if I could handle that. (rolleyes)

We have a 3 also. They're actually quite different - the CX-5 has far more usable cargo space. The hatch opening is much larger. The vehicle is also wider, and therefore roomier, being based on the same platform as the 6. For a road trip there's no question which we take.

While I certainly understand you wanting variety, IMHO, there is no more fun to drive vehicle at this price point than Mazda. I’ve long been a VW fan and have always loved the way they drive, but I decided I didn’t want to lease, and I don’t think I would ever buy another VW, owed to their high maintenance costs and below average reliability...not a car you want to own after the warranty period. That is what drew me to Mazda...German car road manners with Japanese reliability. The CX-5 is my first Mazda and if they keep building them like this...it won’t be my last. Hondas are great cars...but IMHO they are sort of uninspiring...

Android auto is not coming. If it really does not come by your purchase time buy the Honda.
That way you will have an ugly and beautiful car in your garage. More variety.

Android auto is not coming. If it really does not come by your purchase time buy the Honda.
That way you will have an ugly and beautiful car in your garage. More variety.

You'll laugh more on this forum vs the Honda forum.

Maybe y'alls could get together and get the story straight?

There are a few members here that... let's just say, you need to take with a grain of salt ;)

Jacob Brown, a mamber of the Mazda North America PR team has confirmed it's coming but timeline isn't known yet (it's in progress he says). That's all we know for now. If OPs timeline is 10 months, it better be here by then or we'll have to suffer through many more of mango's denial posts.

Last edited:
If you already have a recent 3, I'd get something else. Mazda3's interior also feels much nicer.

Maybe cr-v, new Tiguan?

Maybe y'alls could get together and get the story straight?
Mazda execs have said it is coming, it has also been reported it is coming, but there are also some that are healthy skeptical, that will not believe it until they see it.
(kiss) Trust but verify...

Imo, Android Auto will come out, but...I would never buy a car missing a feature that I want badly even if they say "it's coming". Nope. Big giant nope.
Have you looked at the RAV4?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

We have a 3 also. They're actually quite different - the CX-5 has far more usable cargo space. The hatch opening is much larger. The vehicle is also wider, and therefore roomier, being based on the same platform as the 6. For a road trip there's no question which we take.
I understand the differences -- it is just that they are very similar looking. One drawback to the CX-5 is that it has a good bit less cargo space when compared to the new CR-V. We are coming from a Subaru Outback and the CR-V is almost equal to that, which is one reason we're considering a vehicle in this class instead of just getting a new Outback. I'm not sure we would want to give up too much space if the CX-5 is that much less roomy in back.

I'm in the same boat and narrowing down between CX-5 and CR-V.

Rav4 is out because for sure no Carplay or Android Auto

CX-5 drives very nice but unknown about Carplay or AA. More upscale feeling interior.
CR-V has CP/AA but the rear bench seat is a bit narrower however you have more cargo room. Also no special financing rates on them now. Drives fine actually and should get noticeably better mileage.

Both seem to be roughly about same price with local dealer discounts.

Tough choices... :\

There are a few members here that... let's just say, you need to take with a grain of salt ;)

Jacob Brown, a mamber of the Mazda North America PR team has confirmed it's coming but timeline isn't known yet (it's in progress he says). That's all we know for now. If OPs timeline is 10 months, it better be here by then or we'll have to suffer through many more of mango's denial posts.

The reason I feel confident that it's coming is that (in terms of PR) it doesn't make sense to put something out (even semi-officially) and then not follow through. That would do damage to the brand and only "stupid" companies do things like that. Mazda, IMO, does not qualify.

So, unless there are some overriding technical, cost or design issues, Android/Apple is coming.

The reason I feel confident that it's coming is that (in terms of PR) it doesn't make sense to put something out (even semi-officially) and then not follow through. That would do damage to the brand and only "stupid" companies do things like that. Mazda, IMO, does not qualify.

So, unless there are some overriding technical, cost or design issues, Android/Apple is coming.

Still wary tho.
Volvo promised CP and AA for the XC90 for 2016 when it came out.
They then said AA is not available thru updates for the 2016 because AA requires a usb HUB so even if it was announced for the 2016 you couldn't even pay for the hardware to update. If you wanted AA you had to buy a 2017 and too bad if you got the 2016.

I'm on the skeptical side for the availability of ACP and AA based on the "Life Traffic" experience many people had been dealing with Mazda North American Operations. "Live Traffic" feature in Navigation system is written black-and-white in all sales materials for 2016 CX-5. Now the class action lawsuit has been filed for false advertising on this missing feature and we still see only empty promises from MNAO. Look at this post 16 months ago how MNAO told bmninada who was persistent to pursue the resolution of the missing "Live Traffic" feature. And notice even at that time MNAO had said ACP and AA are in their "roadmap"!

Hoorah - got a call from Corporate Mazda office today, JP. The guy spoke to me and said that they will attempt at something. Asked me for suggestions. They are as follows:
1. Get the whatever used to work - working. (Choice #1)
2. Get HD Total Traffic data flowing into navigation. (Maybe easiest, but the HD thing whatever I saw is not that good)
3. Get the XM Traffic integration - working. (Choice #3 - since it'll incur consumer subscription charges and I'm pretty sure Mazda won't absorb them)
4. Allow WiFi. They have a software downloadable in smart phone which can feed the data into navigation via WiFi (This he liked, God knows why).
5. Prioritize Android mirroring / Apple CarPlay (he said its in the roadmap but cant be done for the current Infotainment hardware, will require replacement)

I also vehemently complained about 3 years map update and XM subscription being just 3 to 4 months. He took all of this in.

BTW: He's aware of this thread.

Microsoft told me 7 was coming to my 6 month old phone. 3 months later they announce: sorry, it's not. HTC said my phone would get Jellybean. It never did.
When it comes to tech promises....I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have heard AA is coming for almost 8 months now. Its gestation period is almost same as humans.

Again for the millionth time, there is no official statement on Mazda on anything to do with CarPlay/AA. 0 mention of it on their website, 0 mention that it's coming. Just because 1 PR guy at Mazda says it's coming doesn't mean it actually is.

So 2 years from now when you've already spent $35,000 on a vehicle based on a promise(from a Mazda employee) that a feature was coming and it's nowhere to be found, are you still going to try to hold Mazda accountable considering they never made an official statement on their website stating it was coming? Are you going to go looking for the PR when he's now working for Subaru? Please don't ever buy a product based on an employee for a company telling you a feature for that product is coming. Wait for an official announcement. BTW the PR guy TOLD ONE WEBSITE it was coming, and ONLY ONCE. Never once did he ever repeat it.

As far as the comparison OP, the CX-5 is the better looking vehicle and according to reviews has best in class handling(I wouldn't know, I don't track my CRV) but outside of those 2 the CRV is better at pretty much everything else(fuel economy, cargo space, resale value, reliability, CarPlay/AA, etc...)

Again for the millionth time, resale value is on par with the CR-V... At least, according to Consumer Reports.
fcb744aa4eec004b35da1fca9b2dbd9e.jpg

Back