CX-5 16 vs. 17 Side Profile Black

Which side profile do you prefer? 17 or 16?

• Total voters
While I agree the 2017 seems more refined, no other makes or models can match the gen 1s lines.

That's because it was the 1st model and so much different to the others out there. Sentimental value

I have to say..even though I purchased a 2017, I would have preferred BLACK chrome accents. Obviously its not a show stopper for me, but I think it would have looked better. They could have at least made it a GT feature.

I also think that the 2017 is a mature evolution of the 2016, more elegant and sophisticated looking.

Very true, a bit more classy I suppose

Looks like the 2017 is more popular based on the poll. I remember when I joined the forum, I was sad that my CUV looked all cute and s***, and would have preferred more masculine lines like the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Forester or Explorer Sport, and I was told "no man, KODO! bro, KODO!". Well, now that it's GOT more mature lines, this forum is all "Yeah!" lol!

Personally, I am ambivalent towards it at this point, but the grill on the 2017 does not match the body, and it's plainly obvious that the re-style was just a money-saver because it allowed less operations, etc. and probably has a lower reject rate, as well. Basically, Mazda saved a buck, and sold it as "improvement", when it comes to the exterior. It reminds me of all the "HBAR" AR-15's from the 90's. Everyone was ALL ABOUT THAT HEAVY BARREL, and manufacturers charged MORE for them, when in reality, all it was was them skipping the step of profiling/turning down the barrel, and they sold the money-saver option at a higher cost to hobbyists who shot it off a bench once a year.

Personally, I am ambivalent towards it at this point, but the grill on the 2017 does not match the body, and it's plainly obvious that the re-style was just a money-saver because it allowed less operations, etc. and probably has a lower reject rate, as well. Basically, Mazda saved a buck, and sold it as "improvement", when it comes to the exterior. It reminds me of all the "HBAR" AR-15's from the 90's. Everyone was ALL ABOUT THAT HEAVY BARREL, and manufacturers charged MORE for them, when in reality, all it was was them skipping the step of profiling/turning down the barrel, and they sold the money-saver option at a higher cost to hobbyists who shot it off a bench once a year.

Might also have to do with pedestrian safety perhaps (scratch)

But if you look carefully, at least for me the 2017 grille appears as an evolution of the original CX-5 grille:

003.jpg

The mesh holes are smaller on the 2017 but still has a passing resemblance to the original.

Looks like the 2017 is more popular based on the poll. I remember when I joined the forum, I was sad that my CUV looked all cute and s***, and would have preferred more masculine lines like the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Forester or Explorer Sport, and I was told "no man, KODO! bro, KODO!". Well, now that it's GOT more mature lines, this forum is all "Yeah!" lol!

Bingo!

Might also have to do with pedestrian safety perhaps (scratch)

But if you look carefully, at least for me the 2017 grille appears as an evolution of the original CX-5 grille:

003.jpg

The mesh holes are smaller on the 2017 but still has a passing resemblance to the original.

That Bubba Gump lip on the 17 is hideous.

Side profile tells it like it is.
The front hood of the car is too long - is out of proportion with the rest of the car. Its like a Giraffe and Hippo got cozy.
Front hood in itself + grille + its agressive shape is much better than 16. Problem is you cant drive the front alone. Atleast its not legal in most countries.

So side profile 16 gets an 8 / 10
17 does a 5/10.

I like gen 1's profile.

I like gen 2's rear a bit better.

The I like gen 2's grille but the gen 1's front bumper looks better. Essentially the gen 2 looks to gain from a front lip add-on. The gen 1's wheels look better. gen 2's interior IS better.

The 17 does look more refined and upscale, however, to me, the 16 looks sleeker,sportier, and more Zoom Zoomish

This. 16 feels more....Mazda to me.

Not to mention, the chrome around the windows (gag), and losing the "swoop" which made it unique to me. 17 side profile looks much more generic now to me.

In this thread: People justifying the version closest to what they bought :p

No car will ever appeal to everyone. Boggles my mind when people try to convince others about design. Oh well... entertaining read at least!

No car will ever appeal to everyone. Boggles my mind when people try to convince others about design. Oh well... entertaining read at least!

I don't think anyone is trying to convince anyone anything. Just people posting their opinions on a poll.

Bull honky

Last edited:

Not really, I have a 2014 and think the new version looks great. Drove behind one for the first time and it looked smaller and wider but much nicer. Much prefer the 2017 version.

In the end, we can agree Gen 1 or Gen 2...

Looks way better than the competition (RAV4, CR-V, Rogue, Escape, Subarus, etc.)

I agree. The closest competitor is probably the Tuscon, but only because they seemed to copy the CX-5's design.

Back