Repair Wheel and Dash Scuffs

kingzing1

:
CX-5 Touring
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a used 2014 CX-5, which had some minor wear on it. Namely, the dash and the wheel have some scuff marks / wear that I'd like to try to repair.

Thoughts on how to go about this? Pics are attached.

Thanks!

20170518_182040.jpg
20170518_182048.jpg

Outch.... if nobody here has a repair for you; maybe you can look to a salvage yard. Maybe you find a replacement wheel and panel.

Damn. That's a bit more than minor, but don't be discouraged. (I'm assuming the car you bought drives solid so it's good if you're only dealing with cosmetic headaches on a used car).

If I were in your shoes, I'd rationalize a new wheel and new trim because u just saved a bunch by not purchasing new. Then, I'd enjoy the heck out of it.

My suggestion, get an official quote so you know the ceiling, then work through other avenues like used, salvage, etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The leather on the steering wheel(other then the worn out bits) looks drier than Death Valley on a rainy day.

That plastic trim, seems like it is separate, maybe it can be replaced. Try ordering it from somewhere.
I would even try painting it first, to see how it would look like. You don't loose anything, at this point.

Last edited:
That plastic trim, seems like it is separate, maybe it can be replaced. Try ordering it from somewhere.
I would even try painting it first, to see how it would look like. You don't loose anything, at this point.
Posted previously, but agree with this. Take a shot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You could try heating the plastic trim piece up gently with a hair dryer first and if that doesn't work then a heat gun on low. Keep the heat source moving, You might just be able to bring some of the pigment back into that scratched area doing it this way. If it were me, I would try that but first remove the piece from the car so nothing else gets damaged if it doesn't work out. Other then that, your only option is to try to hide it some with trim restoring products.

For the leather wheel, get a high quality leather conditioner. Leatherique comes to mind for this, Rub it on the wheel after cleaning it, let it sit and then use a microfiber towel to remove any excess.

This kit should serve you well if you want the cleaner as well:
http://www.autogeek.net/leatherique-kit.html

If you only want the rejuvenating oil, that can be bought separately as well.

Eh...don't do the heat gun thing. Tried that on my steering wheel cover and all it did was make that part of the plastic shiny and stand out way more than it did before (scratch is still there).

I'd look at salvage or otherwise to replace the dash piece.

My steering wheel looks like that as well. It's just cheap material. Car is only 2 years old. It should hold up longer than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m back!

I believe the right part is item 1 on this parts drawing “right hand wall”.

fullsizeoutput_1679_zpsyawcydbe.jpeg

Take this to the dealer and check if he thinks its right before ordering. It is 8.16 pends which you should get for about $12. You would have to pull the dash to bits to fit it but your local garage would do that for you.

fullsizeoutput_167a_zpsyiovpdng.jpeg

Back