Loud wind noise with cross bars at regular speed

ianiv

:
2017 CX-9 GT
Hi everyone,

New here, just bought my first Mazda a couple of weeks ago, a 2017 CX-9 GT.

I bought it with the roof cross bars. I would expect some noise when going at highway speeds, but even when going 45-55 km/h I'm hearing a loud wind howling noise coming from the top. It doesn't change when I open the moon roof so I'm assuming it is coming from the cross bars.

I took it to the dealer and after 3 hours of trying various things they say they don't think the noise is normal but they can't figure out where it is coming from and where going to ask Mazda.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

Have you pulled off your cross bars as a test? They do generally add to some noise on quiet cars.

I was trying to track down wind noise and finally a buddy asked about it. Turned out it wasn't wind noise at all; it was the rear air conditioning vent, which seems to default to a full blast fan speed.

My cross bars didn't make any significant different in wind noise, but they would if they had a bike or ski rack attached.

we had crossbars added at ~2000 miles and don't notice any difference in road or wind noise after adding them.

Could the crossbars have been installed backwards? They have a distinct airfoil shape. The thicker portion should be at the front so that they taper to a narrow edge towards the back.

Thanks Cannondale.

I didn't have the right tools to take the crossbars off just to see if the FR/FL marks where on the wrong sides, but after you mentioned the correct way the airfoil must face I realized that they are indeed backwards.
So I bought myself a torque wrench, socket joint and T30 bit and was able to reverse the front bar and confirm with the markings on the sides. It wasn't easy to remove, there is very little space to work with under the bars and they had tightened one of the screws so much that I almost stripped it.

Can't even get my tools under the rear bar, so I'm going to have to let them fix that one :(

Just wrap a bungee cord on the cross bar with a directing of 3 inches or so between each coil. That should kill the noise.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Thanks Cannondale.

I didn't have the right tools to take the crossbars off just to see if the FR/FL marks where on the wrong sides, but after you mentioned the correct way the airfoil must face I realized that they are indeed backwards.
So I bought myself a torque wrench, socket joint and T30 bit and was able to reverse the front bar and confirm with the markings on the sides. It wasn't easy to remove, there is very little space to work with under the bars and they had tightened one of the screws so much that I almost stripped it.

Can't even get my tools under the rear bar, so I'm going to have to let them fix that one :(

LOL, so the dealer installed crossbars backwards. Then for 3 hours they couldn't figure out the problem? They should be doing all the work for free to fix it. Don't go through any trouble.

Can't even get my tools under the rear bar

The crossbars come with a small "L" shaped Torx wrench that will fit in the small space between the bars and roof. Even with that tool, it's a pain to install and remove. Poor design.

I didn't have the right tools to take the crossbars off
My cross bars came with a unique Torx star bit that looked like a small sphere on the end of an Allen key. Because of the rounded end, it didn't have to fit straight into the nut to get some purchase. Without that tool, you'd need either some creativity, or something like this.

So the conclusion to the story:

Took it back to the dealer. They didn't really believe they had installed them backwards until they took them off and saw it for themselves.
They didn't want to scratch the roof so they took the railings off with the bars attached. Really badly designed.

I guess they "forgot" to leave that torx allen key that comes with the cross bars in the car. I will try to get one from them, wish me luck.

Good news is that the noise is gone :)

LOL, so the dealer installed crossbars backwards. Then for 3 hours they couldn't figure out the problem? They should be doing all the work for free to fix it. Don't go through any trouble.

I add to JPL, its fun how the guys that are supposed that are the experts cant figure out its installed the wrong way .. I'm sure they will do it for free !! this kind of stuff happens in the best of families lol

Hi everyone,

New here, just bought my first Mazda a couple of weeks ago, a 2017 CX-9 GT.

I bought it with the roof cross bars. I would expect some noise when going at highway speeds, but even when going 45-55 km/h I'm hearing a loud wind howling noise coming from the top. It doesn't change when I open the moon roof so I'm assuming it is coming from the cross bars.

I took it to the dealer and after 3 hours of trying various things they say they don't think the noise is normal but they can't figure out where it is coming from and where going to ask Mazda.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks!

I have the same issue. I just bought the OEM cross bar and install them myself. Cannondale suggested that "The thicker portion should be at the front so that they taper to a narrow edge towards the back". Please confirm that this is the solution. I am ready to take the cross bar down and flip them. I though that I was very careful reading the installation manual and will not make such a simple mistake. Has anyone fix the issue of the cross bar being installed backwards?. Is it better to remove just the cross bar or take the whole whole side railing and cross bar altogether?. Any recommendation?. Thanks.

Take the cross bars off and put them on according to the markings under the bars.

I cut a piece of thin cardboard...cereal box, etc....to put on the paint and under my tools. A T30 Torx bit ground to make it as short as possible is a help, as is a universal joint on the ratchet wrench.

Could Mazda have made these so hard to get off to deter thieves? I'm just looking for a rational reason....

Could Mazda have made these so hard to get off to deter thieves? I'm just looking for a rational reason....

They certainly win the award for 'Most Complicated to Install and Remove' in the world of roof racks!

Also, when you remove them you leave threaded holes open to the elements. I bought some short stainless steel metric screws to put in them, keep them clean.

Back