Strong gas smell

Tatback

:
2014 CX-5 Sport
My wife and I bought our 2014 CX-5 with 56,xxx miles on it. I took it to the dealer because it would vibrate when sitting at a light.

Well today at 62,xxx I started to change the oil for the first time and as soon as I took the drain plug off I noticed a strong gas smell... like it was a 2 stroke mixture coming out.

I'm pretty sure that isn't normal but I've never had a Mazda before. I'm just surprised right now as I sit here next to it with the oil still drained.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you are doing a lot of short trips it could be some fuel dilution in the oil. If that is the case then you might want to be adhering to the shorter 6mo/5k mile interval.

Blackstonelabs will send you a free container to send in your sample to get tested if you like.

I would definitely want to keep my eye on it. Smell that dipstick a few days after your oil change, and then smell again a few weeks/months later under normal use and see if you still think it seems excessive.

Well today at 62,xxx I started to change the oil for the first time and as soon as I took the drain plug off I noticed a strong gas smell... like it was a 2 stroke mixture coming out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Are you sure it was gas? Mazda-spec'd oil is pretty thin and I've noticed too, it doesn't smell like regular 10W-40 oil. Especially too, as it's synthetic. Was it very brown or discolored?

Mazdadude, thank you for that... I'll look into the oil testing. We don't normally do short short trips... We live in west palm so it seems like the norm for a trip would be 10-15 miles.

ChemDude, it could be something else but as soon as I popped the drain plug I immediately noticed a gas smell. I even had my wife smell my glove and she asked where the gas came from. The oil seems like more a chocolate color than a black color. I poured a little on a paper towel and took a pic... I'm just trying to figure out how to upload it from my phone.

That looks like straight oiul to me, used, but oil. If there were gas in it, the stain would have spread more, be more lighter.
Otherwise, I can't smell it. It may be gas. have the oil tested to be sure.

Get some high rpms in and run a fuel system cleaner. You never know hownwell the previous owner maintaned the induction system or if they put cheapo gas in often. These engines make a lot of blow by. I've added an oil catch can to mine and it captures a fair amount. My oil comes out pretty uniform. You can add some seafoam ( i think its 1oz per quart see label) to the oil as well. Never know what quality of oil or the interval either. Oem is quality stuff btw..

Check you oil level at least once a week to see if the oil level is rising. Mazda SkyActiv-G engines may suffer some oil dilution issues but mostly it happens in the cold winter. In Florida it should happen less. As Chris_Top_Her said he did catch a lot of blow-by from his catch-can, so save some oil sample and get it tested to make sure.

Thank you guys for all the responses. I'll keep my eye on this and report back on the next oil change with my findings.

Back