Heat & Electronics degradation

SeCX-9

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Just hit around low 90's here in Boston area yesterday and I noticed two things which didn't seem accurate.

First, the outside temperature gauge report 100 to 102F degrees while driving when reportedly outside it was low 90's. Maybe 95 max. Saw this SEVERAL times yesterday afternoon during the first real hot day here outside Boston. Seems like the thermometer is picking up radiant heat from the car somewhere.
Question: Does anyone know where the external car temperature probe is located on the car?

Also noticed in heavy traffic that the front-collision radar didn't record cars which were close to the front of my Sig CX-9 while driving forward. Their presence didn't seem to recognize the cars until they were VERY close (or even at all). Anyone know if heat can impact the performance of the Mazda Forward Obstruction Warning millimeter-wave radar?

On the other hand, the Air conditioner seemed to startup VERY well and keep the car comfortable, unlike many reports here. First time I had the chance to test what others have reported, but I don't have any real complaints. 90's and sunny and it seemed to work well.

Most temp sensors in cars are located behind front bumper, lower down. Often it picks up road heat, which causes it to be higher then the ambient air temp, not from the car itself. Re: the radar, I would think it would be tested to operate within the the norms of cold areas and hot.

My temp gauge said 95 on the way home last night, while driving. I also thought it was a little high. I expected it to drop when I started driving but it didn't. I'll keep an eye on it today.

I also didn't notice anything about the front radar. Are you saying the car in front didn't show up in the HUD/dash? I'll also watch that on the way home. My primary reason for replying was that we shared the same climate yesterday. :D

Thanks Markts

As for the Radar, it didn't show up in the round area dashboard display that shows YOUR car and the cars in front of you.

I've never seen the HUD on the glass show the car in front of me except the warning for the Emergency Braking RED that happened once while testing it :)

Only had the car since November, but the display seems to be failing at higher temps ... will have to see what happens in the summer.

Attachments

• 20170507_135341_HDR.jpg
    20170507_135341_HDR.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 112
I'm also seeing this as well. few days also the temp gauge was showing 32C but it didn't felt that hot outside.

Only had the car since November, but the display seems to be failing at higher temps ... will have to see what happens in the summer.

I saw when I first purchased my vehicle. Hadn't seen since I tinted the windshield. I know you shouldn't have to do that but, it has been said on the forums before, the windshield draws in lots of heat.

I've also seen in the 2nd row armrest, if you leave a USB cable plugged while not in use, it gets very warm around port and cable. Have not tested front console USB plug.

Where did tou get this pic?!
Can you locate the intake air temperature sensor ?!
Is it on the manifold or in the MAF

Hi Ali,

The 2016 CX-9 has 2 IAT sensors. One is called "MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) SENSOR/INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR" which is located at the air cleaner cover. The other one is called "MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE (MAP) SENSOR/INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR". This one is located on the manifold. Both seem to be easy to access.

MAP-IAT sensor.JPG

Last edited:
Back