New CX-5 came with shipping bumpers/spacers?

phillipviana

:
Cx-5 2016.5
My neighbor knocked on my door today and told me that my dealership forgot to remove the "shipping bumpers" or "shipping spacers" during the PDI. Apparently it's a type of suspension used to prevent the car from shaking too much if it's being transported on a ship or something of that sort. Have you guys ever heard of such thing?

I am by no means a car expert, but my car does seem to be lifted up more than normal and there seems to be a yellow piece around the bumpers over the rear tires (or maybe they are different bumpers altogether). Is it possible that this was missed in the PDI? Have you ever heard of such situation before?

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sounds like the bump stops whih are part of the dampers... lol easily visible because of the monster truck height

does it look anything like these (red arrows) ? then yeah they forgot to remove the shipping suspension blocks .... and like what Chris said your CX-5 will look like a monster truck, and your ride is going to be really really firm like riding on rocks. Take it to the dealer, they just have to lift the car and take them out, should take less than 5 minutes.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/shipping-suspension-block-left-in-during-delivery-inspection.1271/

if not and you're talking about the OEM rear shocks and see the yellow on top, then that's normal and not shipping blocks.... that's the OEM rear dampers,

can you post some pics, side view so we can see if it really lifted and some closeup of the rear springs to see if there is indeed shipping suspension blocks

Last edited:
I was going to post that VW had an issue with leaving the shipping bumpers in some cars but I see that The Batman has already beat me to it. Even posting a link to the VW issue.

Here are some photos. Yellow parts at the back. Based on your monster truck comment I'm assuming my neighbor was mistaken.

76f606acb7e44332294908b940b07fbf.jpg
2e49ed2859918ea913593fc5ebf30744.jpg
6b0aff0871d4771ee01e2770d60800d4.jpg
c02586cdcfbc8922fc20c48853b6fc81.jpg
099001251edcc7689c5fb03ac260cbbd.jpg
0acff4c90efce777f7765e2aae29af3c.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes the yellow sponge things are type of "bump stop" or shock protector to decelerate the motion and prevent the shock absorber from bottoming out internally.

They are a normal functioning piece of the suspension and should be retained. The front struts have them also, but they are covered by the rubber boot

(headbang)

Last edited:
phillipviana,

your neighbor was mistaken, your neighbor mistook the yellow OEM "bump stop" as shipping blocks like what Mazdadude said

you're good, congrats on new ride

Congrats! I also have a Sport and yes it looks abnormally lifted due to the huge wheel gap from the 17 inch wheels.

Congrats! I also have a Sport and yes it looks abnormally lifted due to the huge wheel gap from the 17 inch wheels.

Has nothing to do with wheel size. The wheel/tire diameter is the same whether it's 17" or 19". The problem is the damn car rides too high on its suspension. It's why some of us lower them.

Good looking vehicle. CX5s are always a pleasure to look at..

Back