SavageGeese 2017 review........

How I use BSM: I use it to know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it is safe for me to pull in front of you... I'll never be that guy that makes you brake because I cut in front of you too close...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

How I use BSM: I use it to know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it is safe for me to pull in front of you... I'll never be that guy that makes you brake because I cut in front of you too close...

Lots of people out there do this anyway regardless of BSM but I get your point

There is a reason why it's called BLIND SPOT monitoring. You can't see everything by turning your head. You always turn your head and check your mirror.

BSM is probably my favorite feature on the CX-5. It's the most used feature for me. It's never not detected a vehicle in my blindspot. In actual fact it is a little too sensitive and light up when there was no vehicle there but just a hedge. I still glance around to visually check before changing lanes but I don't need to fully turn my head around to check. I'm usually quite aware of the vehicles around me in the surrounding lanes. I like the BSM.

Stats or reputable source to back this claim up?

http://www.ejtir.tudelft.nl/issues/2001_03/pdf/2001_03_02.pdf

3.3 Complacency
When a system fails to work or is in a state that failure is possible, feedback should be
provided in order to let the driver know that s/he can not rely on the system. The main reason
for this is that automated systems can and will lead to what has been called complacency
(Wiener and Curry, 1980). Complacency is an attitude of (over)reliance on an automated
system. In a test of reaction time to a system failure cue, Knapp and Vardaman (1991) found
support for complacency, i.e. the reaction time to this cue increased compared to normal task
performance. Ward et al. (1995) also found evidence for complacency, poor lane position
control and failure to yield to other traffic was more frequently observed in drivers driving a
car with AICC compared to drivers driving a normal car

Several reservations that have consequences for acceptance by the relevant stakeholders,
hold for any of these modes. A few studies found support for compliance, i.e. excessive
reliance on automated (ADAS) systems, others reported deterioration in driving
performance.
This and other forms of behavioural adaptation, or compensation as it is called
in a wider field, are factors that should be taken into account when investigating the
conditions for introduction of ADAS (Verwey, Brookhuis & Janssen, 1996).

BSM is probably my favorite feature on the CX-5. It's the most used feature for me. It's never not detected a vehicle in my blindspot. In actual fact it is a little too sensitive and light up when there was no vehicle there but just a hedge. I still glance around to visually check before changing lanes but I don't need to fully turn my head around to check. I'm usually quite aware of the vehicles around me in the surrounding lanes. I like the BSM.

CX5 has great visibility compared to my 370Z. I always visually confirm. It's easy to look, and look IN the mirror, vs. looking at an icon ON the mirror. That way...I KNOW.

I have found BSM absolutely worthless for this, as it does not take into account speed differentials, and the distance for BSM to be "okay with" what I am doing is likely to spark road-rage, were I to rely solely on that.

I have found BSM absolutely worthless for this, as it does not take into account speed differentials, and the distance for BSM to be "okay with" what I am doing is likely to spark road-rage, were I to rely solely on that.

With BSM, my Mirror check is rather redundant, but out of habit. I have yet to cut anyone off on the highway. But perhaps you are right in the city. I check mirrors because of the bike lanes.

Cross-Traffic is quite awesome.

Last edited:
With BSM, my Mirror check is rather redundant, but out of habit. I have yet to cut anyone off on the highway. But perhaps you are right in the city. I check mirrors because of the bike lanes.

Use BSM in combination of mirrors and head checks, it's all good

Worthless? You're nuts. Speed differential? LOL If I am passing you...ergo my speed is higher then your speed... When that light blinks out, I know with 100% certainty that it is safe to get in front of you. So far it's worked every. Single. Time.

Then you fall into the "no idea how it works" category then because if you cared to read the pdf you would see that is exactly what it does. It's OK to be not always right.

If BSM is causing such an issue, place a folded piece of paper between BSM button and adjoining button (once you have switched it off) and it should remain off the next time the CX-5 is switched on.

Worthless? You're nuts. Speed differential? LOL If I am passing you...ergo my speed is higher then your speed... When that light blinks out, I know with 100% certainty that it is safe to get in front of you. So far it's worked every. Single. Time.

I'll continue to visually confirm. I was referring to merging onto the freeway, not passing people.

While interesting, it doesn't go enough into if/how they measured this other than cherry-picking pieces from other studies that supported their results. It reads more like an opinion or editorial piece that feeds on fear of "automated" systems (especially since it's a ~16 year old study). Interesting read though.

Human nature has not changed in 16 years.

Human nature has not changed in 16 years.

It also doesn't factor in the opposite of the equation... those that already don't check blind spots (or do so incorrectly) would be alerted by BSM and have a crash avoided. The sole purpose of that study was to provide the answer they wanted.

I'm not saying that some won't get lazy because of it... of course they will, it's the nature of some people. But thinking that's the whole story is a huge blind spot (see what I did there? :))

I love the BSM in the '17 CX-5 because it beeps. My Audi only blinks. The Mazda BSM really alerts you. And yes, I still look over my shoulder before I change lanes.

Back