SavageGeese 2017 review........

I, for one, think the rx8 is a POS. It's slow and looks like s***, when you consider the piece of rolling artwork it replaced. I just can't see what it brought to the table other than being the only modern sports car to be subject to a factory buyback because it was so damn slow and weak.

I like to think the driver has to take some responsibility for his or her surroundings. I think there comes a time where you get so many warnings they become permanent and you tend to ignore them.

Exactly. In the medical world, we have done all we can to eliminate alarm fatigue.

yep, the 2016.5 CX-5 and all previous years the BSM works well, sometimes though it would light up if it senses an obstruction like a parked car or guard rail.....

Mazda over-corrected this in the 2016+ CX-9 , see video below ,
not sure if this over-correction got carried over to the 2017 CX-5's , I hope not, haven't heard any complaints so far

in the video..... a car is in their right lane but it didn't light up because they just passed it, it's part of the Mazda correction to eliminate the false lights from previous models that would light up for parked cars or high way guardrails,
but to me it's an over correction, it should light up if something is there period.

The thing is people forget that BSM is an additional safety resource and should not be fully relied upon.

As the Mazda's disclaimer says:

i-ACTIVSENSE and other safety technologies are driver assist technologies only and should not be used in place of skilled and safe driving practices. It is the drivers sole responsibility to monitor vehicle surroundings and conditions and comply with all applicable laws at all times.

I still check my mirrors as well as turn my head before changing lanes.

What about Thomas and his very detailed review?

https://youtu.be/atTVvHGCZ0o

Interesting to see the variations they do for different countries. I like the wheels on the blue mid range model he was looking at in the beginning, I think even more than the GT wheels. The blue car he stood by at the end looked to have the same wheels as the US Sport and Touring cars get.

I also think I like the silver trim in the middle of the front and rear bumpers on the blue mid range car. I didn't like the silver trim inset in the black plastic bits all around the bottom on the higher end one (machine gray).

Interesting to see the variations they do for different countries. I like the wheels on the blue mid range model he was looking at in the beginning, I think even more than the GT wheels. The blue car he stood by at the end looked to have the same wheels as the US Sport and Touring cars get.

I also think I like the silver trim in the middle of the front and rear bumpers on the blue mid range car. I didn't like the silver trim inset in the black plastic bits all around the bottom on the higher end one (machine gray).

Correct as it was different to the first one which had different rims

Oh no it shouldn't and that YouTube clip should be called "I don't understand how the BSM should work" and not "BSM fail". It is only intended to warn of a vehicle approaching from behind and is very smart for two reasons. As well as detecting a car in the zone it can :-

1. It can detect a vehicle that is approaching at a speed that will arrive in the detection zone within 5.5 seconds.

2. It pushes the detection zone back depending on vehicle speed.

It doesn't detect a vehicle you are passing. Why? Because it assumes quite rightly that if you hadn't been effing about with a phone, you'd have seen the bloody thing.

For a full and proper understanding, read the following.........

View attachment 216678

^^^What he said!

The system in the video is working as intended.

The system senses vehicles approaching from the rear. It doesn't warn you for vehicles that you pass because you already know they're there. Or you should anyways, as you just passed them...

If however you pull up to pass someone - so the system doesn't trigger the warning - and they then remain in your blind spot (either because you slow down or because they speed up to pace you) the system will then trigger the typical warning as they're still in the blindspot longer than you would think they are if you were passing them in typical fashion.

The system really is rather advanced and I came to appreciate it much more after I fully understood how it worked and what it does / doesn't do.

^^^What he said!

The system in the video is working as intended.

The system senses vehicles approaching from the rear. It doesn't warn you for vehicles that you pass because you already know they're there. Or you should anyways, as you just passed them...

If however you pull up to pass someone - so the system doesn't trigger the warning - and they then remain in your blind spot (either because you slow down or because they speed up to pace you) the system will then trigger the typical warning as they're still in the blindspot longer than you would think they are if you were passing them in typical fashion.

The system really is rather advanced and I came to appreciate it much more after I fully understood how it worked and what it does / doesn't do.

If I am not mistaken, sensitivity can be adjusted via MZD (uhm)

If I am not mistaken, sensitivity can be adjusted via MZD (uhm)

I believe it can be turned off / on, and the volume of the beep can be adjusted. I don't believe sensitivity can be adjusted.

In my experience it's a rather good system. I have both a '17 Mazda 3 GT and the new '17 CX-5 both equipped. If anything the CX-5 works a little quicker than my 3 does. This was my first hwy drive as the pilot of the CX-5 though and it may have been due to the different traffic conditions than I'm used to on my normal commute in my Mazda 3.

No complaints from us about how the system works.

I believe it can be turned off / on, and the volume of the beep can be adjusted. I don't believe sensitivity can be adjusted.

Cool, thanks for advising

In my experience it's a rather good system. I have both a '17 Mazda 3 GT and the new '17 CX-5 both equipped. If anything the CX-5 works a little quicker than my 3 does. This was my first hwy drive as the pilot of the CX-5 though and it may have been due to the different traffic conditions than I'm used to on my normal commute in my Mazda 3.

Same here, works as I need it to on my Mazda6.

If the newer version is more responsive on the 2017 CX-5 then that will be fine by me

Who the hell even uses BSM? That s*** just causes wrecks.

You turn your head. You visually confirm. THEN YOU ACT (or not). Period.

Causes wrecks for those people who don't turn their head and visually confirm but rely solely on BSM.

BSM assists when you've checked visually but misjudged the distance of the car in the other lane. Sort of a last resort checker.

Last edited:
Causes wrecks for those people who don't turn their head and visually confirm but rely solely on BSM.

BSM assists when you've checked visually but misjudged the distance of the car in the other lane. Sort of a last resort checker.

That's the intent, but that's not how it plays out far too often. It's a crutch that atrophies cautionary action.

I've seen most cars fitted with LED DRL's turn off when signal indicator turns (applicable only to the side that signal light is activated) on so as not to mask and to avoid confusion..wierd that honda doesn't have this! Maybe a programming issue...even the Nissan Rogue got it right!

More and more cars have the DRL & signal indicator in the same led. Hence DRL off when turn signal is on and vice versa. Case in point our CX-9 Azami (top spec).

Other cars DRL's turn off or dim so the turn signal is more visible.

Exactly, it takes defensive driving out of the equation. Most of these safety features promote more wrecks today, IMO, and the increased number of accidents, ones involving fatalities at that, is a good sign...

Totally agree...it's a nice/better system than other manufacturers IMO...I came from a Volvo with BSM but was camera based and there were limitations to that system and sometimes didn't even detect a vehicle in blindspot properly. Also depending on where the sun reflects, sometimes it thinks that the sun relection are the headlights of a vehicle therfore it warns...when on highway and say bugs splattered on to camera then it renders BSM inoperable! The BSM on this new Mazda is advanced as it is radar based and warns/beeps when you attempt to change lanes when you move the stalk switch which is really great!

Someone here mentioned about causing "wrecks" and better to just do shoulder checks. While I agree that you should do it old school way, these newer BSM systems are there as drivers's aids and manufacturers even have disclaimers to avoid being blamed. At end of the day, these are meant to assist drivers but shouldn't be relied upon solely. It all depends on how you use it so you really can't blame the manufacturers for introducing these technologies. If Mazda didn't adapt to the industry they lose out as others will do it regardless. Bottomline if you don't like it or agree with it then simply turn it off and stop complaining!

Last edited:
They assist in making a lot of drivers lazier than they already are, unfortunately.

I couldn't careless if my car even had BSM.

There is a reason why it's called BLIND SPOT monitoring. You can't see everything by turning your head. You always turn your head and check your mirror.

BSM is useful for two reasons. First, it takes a couple seconds to turn your head and check for traffic, check your mirror, then start to make your lane change maneuver. In heavy traffic, a gap that you just visually verified can get filled with a car by the time you're starting to move into it. This happens to me somewhat frequently in the zipper merge zones of the cloverleaf interchanges that are common around the Boston area, usually in rush hour or holiday traffic because some jerk wanting to exit will try to bypass the line of traffic in the right lane and dive into the merge zone at the last second. Second, blind spots keep getting bigger with every passing model year as manufacturers go for a more streamlined look with higher sills and smaller windows, so there's greater chance of missing something in your visual check. Here is a first generation CR-V vs. a current generation CR-V. The first generation is like a terrarium with big windows, narrow pillars, and small blind spots. The current generation has massive D-pillars and the tiny rear quarter windows are useless from the driver's seat. It's ironic that one of the reasons why SUVs started to become popular was better visibility, and now with the current crossover craze it's worse than ever.

I don't know anyone who thinks blind spot monitoring systems replace visual checks. Likewise, I don't know anyone who thinks that lane keep assist systems replace steering.

26769d1401494334-will-wrx-fit-my-1st-gen-crv-image.jpg

1280px-1st-Honda-CR-V.jpg

honda-cr-v.jpg

Last edited:
Back