SavageGeese 2017 review........

More than once I've hit the brake and gas pedal at the same time, usually when a quick stop is in order. The car has always stopped but it's weird to be pressing both at the same time. Scares me every time it happens too. I do wear a 12 2E but that's not, THAT BIG!

And that's all I have to say about that!

I had to laugh at the end of video when he couldn't get rear seat re-attached. I'm actually ok with his reviews. I appreciate looking at a car up on a rack too. I thought I saw something on rear suspension that looked different to me than previous generation. I was going to look at mine tomorrow to see if I could pinpoint what it was.

I like that the headlights are on all the time. I wish other people, driving their gray car on alternating shadow/bright 2 lane highway would have theirs on.

I'm not as keen on a headlight assembly that is proprietary and needs to be replaced as a whole, if that is the case.

Actually, red is said to be the most difficult to see in low light and a lot of people cant see it very well in mid light according to a study I once read (I think by insurers). White and silver are said to be the best to see in any light.

Actually, red is said to be the most difficult to see in low light and a lot of people can’t see it very well in mid light according to a study I once read (I think by insurers). White and silver are said to be the best to see in any light.

Silver.. Best of both worlds... can be seen in any light and hides dirt and grim better so can get away with less washes if time poor!

I like his dry humor and reviews... after watching several review his was the one that really helped me with my decision to go seriously look at the 2016.5 And I bought one and love it.

The other one I like is "Everyman driver" reviews. Or fast lane cars.

A honda with drl was turning left. His indicators were almost masked by DRL. BSM for me is good. Its good if you use indicators 99% of the time. It beeps and that's good enough. It leaves small margin of error.
Regarding color these are the worst:
Grey and dark green.
Silver is best follow ed with white.
Never heard RED was dangerous.

I watched this last night and had to laugh while he struggled to get the rear seat back in. Decent review overall. Motomantv has like five videos up on youtube for the 2017 CX-5. Nothing really mind blowing, but good too. I haven't checked to see if Alexonautos has released his review on the 2017 CX-5 yet, but I appreciate how thorough Alex is in his videos.

I watched this last night and had to laugh while he struggled to get the rear seat back in. Decent review overall. Motomantv has like five videos up on youtube for the 2017 CX-5. Nothing really mind blowing, but good too. I haven't checked to see if Alexonautos has released his review on the 2017 CX-5 yet, but I appreciate how thorough Alex is in his videos.

If I had to pick the best of the worst (SavageGeese and MotoManTV), I'd choose MotoManTV. He's not as abrasive.

Waiting for his full on review in one clip

A honda with drl was turning left. His indicators were almost masked by DRL. BSM for me is good. Its good if you use indicators 99% of the time. It beeps and that's good enough. It leaves small margin of error.
Regarding color these are the worst:
Grey and dark green.
Silver is best follow ed with white.
Never heard RED was dangerous.

I've seen most cars fitted with LED DRL's turn off when signal indicator turns (applicable only to the side that signal light is activated) on so as not to mask and to avoid confusion..wierd that honda doesn't have this! Maybe a programming issue...even the Nissan Rogue got it right!

I don't have a lot of experience with BSM, but it seems just about perfect to me.

No issues here either

yep, the 2016.5 CX-5 and all previous years the BSM works well, sometimes though it would light up if it senses an obstruction like a parked car or guard rail.....

Mazda over-corrected this in the 2016+ CX-9 , see video below ,
not sure if this over-correction got carried over to the 2017 CX-5's , I hope not, haven't heard any complaints so far

in the video..... a car is in their right lane but it didn't light up because they just passed it, it's part of the Mazda correction to eliminate the false lights from previous models that would light up for parked cars or high way guardrails,
but to me it's an over correction, it should light up if something is there period.

Last edited:
Oh no it shouldn't and that YouTube clip should be called "I don't understand how the BSM should work" and not "BSM fail". It is only intended to warn of a vehicle approaching from behind and is very smart for two reasons. As well as detecting a car in the zone it can :-

1. It can detect a vehicle that is approaching at a speed that will arrive in the detection zone within 5.5 seconds.

2. It pushes the detection zone back depending on vehicle speed.

It doesn't detect a vehicle you are passing. Why? Because it assumes quite rightly that if you hadn't been effing about with a phone, you'd have seen the bloody thing.

For a full and proper understanding, read the following.........

View attachment 216678

Last edited:
Bsm & absm

The newer "over-corrected" version of Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) System Mazda calls it "Advanced" Blind Spot Monitoring (ABSM) System.

Since 2nd-gen CX-5 has Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring with Rear Cross Traffic Alert, I believe it has newer "over-corrected" version ABSM.

Personally I prefer older BSM system to eliminate any guess work when I actually see something in the rearview mirror but without BSM warning simultaneously.

The handbook for the US 2017 model describes BSM on page 4-93 but no mention of an advanced version. You're not getting mixed up with advanced SCBS are you?

The handbook for the US 2017 model describes BSM on page 4-93 but no mention of an advanced version. You're not getting mixed up with advanced SCBS are you?
No, I was getting the exact wordings out of the specs of 2017 CX-5 from Mazda USA website, and the US 2017 Mazda CX-5 sales brochure also says "Advanced Blind Spot Monitoring" in the feature section.

Oh no it shouldn't and that YouTube clip should be called "I don't understand how the BSM should work" and not "BSM fail". It is only intended to warn of a vehicle approaching from behind and is very smart for two reasons. As well as detecting a car in the zone it can :-

1. It can detect a vehicle that is approaching at a speed that will arrive in the detection zone within 5.5 seconds.

2. It pushes the detection zone back depending on vehicle speed.

It doesn't detect a vehicle you are passing. Why? Because it assumes quite rightly that if you hadn't been effing about with a phone, you'd have seen the bloody thing.

For a full and proper understanding, read the following.........

View attachment 216678

Ok I appreciate your position,

but still if a car is in the blind spot regardless and it doesn't light up, to me that didn't makes sense, what's the point of BSM then if a car is in your blind spot and there's no alert, might as well just use your mirrors and don;t pay for BSM.

In a emergency situation, you don't want to be guessing if a car is there or isn't there, just my opinion.

Also what if the car you just passed 1 second ago decided to speed up at the same exact time while it was in the detection zone, so it won't light up either?

I mean the 2016.5 and previous years BSM isn;t perfect either, I don;t like the fact that my car has to be traveling at 20mph for it to work, I hate that, when I;m in stop and go traffic, i have to see if I';m above 20mph to know the BSM is activated, I see other car brands that have BSM and they light up when they are at full stop and I approach them at 5mph and I see their BSM indicator light up......

Last edited:
Ok I appreciate your position,

but still if a car is in the blind spot regardless and it doesn't light up, to me that didn't makes sense.

In a emergency situation, you don't want to be guessing if a car is there or isn't there
, just my opinion.

Also what if the car you just passed decided to speed up at the same time while it was in the detection zone, so it won't light up either?
Agreed!

I like to think the driver has to take some responsibility for his or her surroundings. I think there comes a time where you get so many warnings they become permanent and you tend to ignore them.

Back