2017 Windshield Sunscreen

bigtex

:
17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)
Got the 2017 sunscreen today. Different shape than gen1 of course and also much nicer than the one I had for my 14. Mazda is even improving the sunscreen with nice light grey velour backing instead of the rough charcoal cardboard backing in the old one. Case included.
Part info if anyone needs it:

Part Number 0000-8M-R02
Part Name Windshield Sunscreen
Price $50.00
https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-windshield-sunscreen-00008mr02

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2089 (1).JPG
    IMG_2089 (1).JPG
    41 KB · Views: 2,508
  • IMG_2091 (1).JPG
    IMG_2091 (1).JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,497
that looks pretty good.
It's funny because just this morning I was checking out www.covercraft.com to see if they'd released a windshield sunscreen yet for the '17 and it doesn't look like they have one yet.

Dammit. I was looking all over for this and couldn't find any online retailer who carried it. Heatshield just released theirs for the 2017 so I ordered that this week and it's already on the way. Would have gotten this one instead.

Have you used the shade from Covercraft before? If so how does the quality compare. Wife needs a shade and I was going to just wait for theirs but this at least online looks pretty similar to me.

Personally I've always used one of these and they do the job plus are cheap at under AUD $10.00:

sunshade.jpg

Got the 2017 sunscreen today. Different shape than gen1 of course and also much nicer than the one I had for my 14. Mazda is even improving the sunscreen with nice light grey velour backing instead of the rough charcoal cardboard backing in the old one. Case included.
Part info if anyone needs it:

Part Number 0000-8M-R02
Part Name Windshield Sunscreen
Price $50.00
https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-windshield-sunscreen-00008mr02

attachment.php

attachment.php

How 'well' would you say this fits? The one they sent me seems like it's too big. You really have to man handle it around the mirror and it seems like it's just a little to big. I'm honestly thinking they sent me the '16 one not the '17 one. I did include my VIN...... so........

Mine fits pretty well. It does take a bit of wrestling to get it in place without bumping the rear view mirror.

Hmm, I might just be used to the Covercraft ones going in without a fight around the mirror. I think maybe they should have given 1/4" or so more play and it would be easier.... I dunno we'll see how it works.

Unfold the driver side first, fit it in, then do the passenger. It fits perfectly, and no problem with the rear view mirror. Takes a few times before you can get it in quickly without bumping the mirror.

Is there a certain size we should be looking for when shopping for these? I have a 16 but I'd imagine the its pretty much the same size as the 17. Any benefits between the circle folding ones vs the rectangle folding(I guess thats what you call it)?

Is there a certain size we should be looking for when shopping for these? I have a 16 but I'd imagine the its pretty much the same size as the 17. Any benefits between the circle folding ones vs the rectangle folding(I guess thats what you call it)?

The window size should be similar to 16.

Anyone know the actual dimensions of the cx5 windshield? I'd imagine the 16 and 17 are just about the same. At least close enough for sun shade dimensions.

Anyone know the actual dimensions of the cx5 windshield? I'd imagine the 16 and 17 are just about the same. At least close enough for sun shade dimensions.
I wouldn't use Mazda's sunshade designed for 2017 on a 2016 CX-5 as the windshield size and shape are a little different, hence the part numbers are different too. If you like this OEM sunshade, you can get one designed for 2016 CX-5.

I use a similar sunshade coming from an old Mercedes ML320. I was surprised it fits fine but a little shorter. This means the windshield on this mid-sized 1998 ML320 is smaller than our CX-5 which is supposed to be a compact sized CUV!

I wouldn't use Mazda's sunshade designed for 2017 on a 2016 CX-5 as the windshield size and shape are a little different, hence the part numbers are different too. If you like this OEM sunshade, you can get one designed for 2016 CX-5.

I use a similar sunshade coming from an old Mercedes ML320. I was surprised it fits fine but a little shorter. This means the windshield on this mid-sized 1998 ML320 is smaller than our CX-5 which is supposed to be a compact sized CUV!

Nah I'm just ordering one off of Amazon. Like a generic one. But some offer standard and than large sizes. I'm thinking large for the cx5 but wasn't sure. But some of the shades actually list numeric dimensions on Amazon. That's why I was asking about the CX-5 windshield size.

Nah I'm just ordering one off of Amazon. Like a generic one. But some offer standard and than large sizes. I'm thinking large for the cx5 but wasn't sure. But some of the shades actually list numeric dimensions on Amazon. That's why I was asking about the CX-5 windshield size.
I see. This hard-board sunshade in irregular shape has to be custom fit with one size. It's hard to tell if it would fit well with only size information. If the seller offers two sized, standard and large, I would't get it as that is the indication the sunshade is not custom made and won't fit too well.

Last edited:
I see. This hard-board sunshade in irregular snap has to be custom fit with one size. It's hard to tell if it would fit well with only size information. If the seller offers two sized, standard and large, I would't get it as that is the indication the sunshade is not custom made and won't fit too well.

I'm not too worried. Dont want to spend $50 on a sun shade. Just want something to keep the sun off my steering wheel on those hot days. Especially since I'm getting it replaced.

I'm not too worried. Dont want to spend $50 on a sun shade. Just want something to keep the sun off my steering wheel on those hot days. Especially since I'm getting it replaced.
If that's the case, I suggest you go get those cheap reflective soft sunshade like Xeler8ing suggested which is more effective against the heat.

Personally I've always used one of these and they do the job plus are cheap at under AUD $10.00:
sunshade.jpg

If that's the case, I suggest you go get those cheap reflective soft sunshade like Xeler8ing suggested which is more effective against the heat.

oddly, I can't find many like that on Amazon. The one or two I did had awful reviews. I just want one that is going to cover the dash and is easy to fold up and store away. It's only about 3 months of hot weather here in Maryland so not like it has to be anything special.

oddly, I can't find many like that on Amazon. The one or two I did had awful reviews. I just want one that is going to cover the dash and is easy to fold up and store away. It's only about 3 months of hot weather here in Maryland so not like it has to be anything special.
Just go to a local discount store and get it from there. Reviews aren't needed so long as it blocks out the sun and pretty much covers the windscreen including the bottom of the dashboard

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back