Replacing Cabin Air Filter -- what a PITA

We need to post shoot out videos. Fastest guy that can change the filter measured in seconds. I'd honestly try to shoot for 7 seconds.

We need to post shoot out videos. Fastest guy that can change the filter measured in seconds. I'd honestly try to shoot for 7 seconds.

It's probably gonna take me 30 seconds, and then I'm gonna yell, "dammit, I should've bought a CRV!!"

"I want to be the very best, best there ever is.... quickest draw the toughest motherfucker in the these lands...." Gunslinger's Glory - The Dead South

Last edited:
OP, if you really want to appreciate the ease with which the CX-5 CAF can be changed, do one on a Nissan Juke. Nine screws to be removed, pull out the glovebox and its frame assembly, disconnect two cables, reach back behind the back of the footwell, and pull out an old filter by a fragile paper tab that invariably snaps. Then fold the new filters almost in half because the opening is way smaller than the filter, squeeze it into place, then reassemble the glovebox frame and reinsert the glovebox.

It's probably gonna take me 30 seconds, and then I'm gonna yell, "dammit, I should've bought a CRV!!"

"I want to be the very best, best there ever is.... quickest draw the toughest motherfucker in the these lands...." Gunslinger's Glory - The Dead South

you could do it in 30 seconds... but that seems like an unnecessary hurry. I just found no need to detach when inspecting the filter... of course you should remember to empty the glove box first.

(yes)

I had no trouble changing mine. I leave the climate control running permanently so at 12 months I just whizzed it in the bin. The old one was full of flies and black crud. I pondered on cleaning it but decided it wasn’t worth it. I could perhaps do it in 30 seconds in a race but ordinarily it would take 5 minutes or so.

Weird. Changed 2 yesterday, about 30 seconds each.

This is a joke right? I have changed my in cabin filter 6 times in the last 4 years. Each time in less than 20 seconds.

I was surprised how easy it was to replace. I followed the instructions in this video and definitely could do it in 30 seconds if the replacement filter was already opened. The video shows it in real time (except for when they got the new filter) and it took them 1 minute, 2 seconds with them moving slow as heck.
https://youtu.be/5JClIxAgqO4

2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2117 it don't matter. I'm the quickest one out here boys!!
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/qd.gif

I take about 5+ minutes. Clean out glove box and remove glove box cover and place off to the side. Carefully remove the old filter and toss it aside. vacuum out any material from the filter holder. Remove new filter from the box and place in the holder. Double check that the filter is full inserted. Replace glove box door and replace contents. Toss old filter in the garbage. Takes me about 5-10 minutes to do a good job. Ed

Is this a joke? I think I missed the sarcasm.. try upgrading the front sway bar then come back..

To be fair, the OP is not the first person having some problems to change cabin air filter in recent months. I guess people say it's too easy all the time which makes a little obstacle in process becoming frustration.

Cabin Air Filter & Glove Box Removal

Interesting. I wonder if some of the glove boxes are stiffer material than the rest. Mine was as flexible as in the video I posted which made it really easy.

I think I could change mine blindfolded... try changing on a Nissan product... my Infiniti requires a major disassembly of the glove box. In that car you even have to disconnect a connector for the passenger side airbag. It's an hour or more of your time you want back.

The only vehicle I have found easier than my Mazda is my GX... it actually has a door at the rear of glove box you remove to get to filter. CX-5 is dead simple on this task though.

I think I could change mine blindfolded... try changing on a Nissan product... my Infiniti requires a major disassembly of the glove box. In that car you even have to disconnect a connector for the passenger side airbag. It's an hour or more of your time you want back.

The only vehicle I have found easier than my Mazda is my GX... it actually has a door at the rear of glove box you remove to get to filter. CX-5 is dead simple on this task though.

My brother has an Altima and a CX5. He complains how much of a PITA it is to change the Altima in cabin filter. If fact his sucks up leaves all the time getting stuck in the fan!

All you guys who are posting about how fast you can change the cabin filter must be forgetting one VERY important step!

Beer!

Beer is required for almost all car maintenance and job times should be measured in the number of beers consumed while performing said maintenance.

beerchug.gif

All you guys who are posting about how fast you can change the cabin filter must be forgetting one VERY important step!

Beer!

Beer is required for almost all car maintenance and job times should be measured in the number of beers consumed while performing said maintenance.

beerchug.gif

I hope the OP is nice when he's drunk. Poor wifey...

Or factor in number of beers/drinks consumed and time to replace. I think one could be significantly hammered and still change this within a few seconds of sober time. :)

It takes less than 2 minutes to change. I live in the South where pollen season is horrible in the spring. We change the CAF yearly, in May, after pollen season is over.

I let the dealer muck with this one. however, when they wanted to charge me $25 to install the engine air filter...I did it myself, rofl!

Beer!

beerchug.gif

Then you can find out where the left over parts go when your sober the next day. :D

Back