Replacing Cabin Air Filter -- what a PITA

I let the dealer muck with this one. however, when they wanted to charge me $25 to install the engine air filter...I did it myself, rofl!

$25 ? I was at the dealer yesterday and an old lady came in complaining about foul mildew smell coming from her air vents, the dealer stood there with a straight face and said they can easily fix it by servicing her cabin air filter for a low price of $75, and they would vacuum all the leaves and pollen, yada yada yada, new filter is better for your health HEPA, all BS to sell ...... I wanted to tell her so bad that I can do it for her for free, but she already agreed and thanked the dealer like they were doing her a favor....

unfortuantely for her, I don't think swapping out filter will solve the real issue, need to get to the source of the smell: the mildew on the evap coils.....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856340-Unclog-a-c-drain-and-remove-musty-smell-easily&highlight=mildew

wonder how much the dealer will charge for this ? $125 ? not sure they even know how to do it.....

they would probably say the whole evap has to be cleaned and need to take apart the whole dash to get to it, $500

Last edited:
I've changed the CAF on my 2013 CX-5 twice now and both times I was done in minutes. Hell, I didn't even clean out my glove box, just pushed in the tabs, let it hang and swapped the filter out. The CAF and Engine Air Filter are both ridiculously easy to swap on the CX-5.

$25 ? I was at the dealer yesterday and an old lady came in complaining about foul mildew smell coming from her air vents, the dealer stood there with a straight face and said they can easily fix it by servicing her cabin air filter for a low price of $75, and they would vacuum all the leaves and pollen, yada yada yada, new filter is better for your health HEPA, all BS to sell ...... I wanted to tell her so bad that I can do it for her for free, but she already agreed and thanked the dealer like they were doing her a favor....

unfortuantely for her, I don't think swapping out filter will solve the real issue, need to get to the source of the smell: the mildew on the evap coils.....

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856340-Unclog-a-c-drain-and-remove-musty-smell-easily&highlight=mildew

wonder how much the dealer will charge for this ? $125 ? not sure they even know how to do it.....

they would probably say the whole evap has to be cleaned and need to take apart the whole dash to get to it, $500

They also wanted $80 to balance my tires. The tires were already mounted, and I was going to pay their $20 customary fee to rotate them...but balancing would have added 80 bucks.

Dealer fees are super weird. Some things are absurdly cheap, some are stupidly expensive.

While working on my audio upgrade, I had my glovebox out probably a dozen times. I never recall it taking over a minute. The vehicle was new, the weather cold.

Worst part for me is cleaning all of the wife's crap out of the glove compartment first so it doesn't spill all over the floor.

All you guys who are posting about how fast you can change the cabin filter must be forgetting one VERY important step!

Beer!

Beer is required for almost all car maintenance and job times should be measured in the number of beers consumed while performing said maintenance.

beerchug.gif

Can I substitute for a shot of tequila? One of these days I'm going to have to post a vid of me changing the filter and taking a shot.

Forget 0-60 times being sub 8 seconds....we need 0-filter change/beer can or shots time being sub 10 seconds.

Can I substitute for a shot of tequila? One of these days I'm going to have to post a vid of me changing the filter and taking a shot.

Forget 0-60 times being sub 8 seconds....we need 0-filter change/beer can or shots time being sub 10 seconds.

Of course you can sub tequila if you like! Are you going to do the salt, lick, lime, drink thing too?

Wasnt there news about FCA workers being drunk on lunch break going back to work - getting fired and then being re-hired through the union stuff.
I cant believe they have everything from the Dart / Chrysler Vans in a 85K sticker Maserati - lol.

Back