Using Top Tier Gas

It's *generally* too hard for an individual to determine whether​ top tier was beneficial to their car but the studies are conclusive that more detergents, and some studies specifically tested top tier gas, prevent carbon deposits. With that being said, I believe the most damaging place to have carbon deposits is on the intake valves and in a traditional car, the gas is constantly sprayed on the intake valves so top tier gas cleans/prevents build up on them but in our CX-5'S, the gas never touches the intake valves since they're direct injection engines. So we miss out on that benefit but top tier gas will still prevent deposits from elsewhere in our engines - I just don't have enough knowledge to know whether deposits in those areas are very concerning or not.

This is a very good point. Intake ports and the back side of intake valves are the problem areas for deposits because they are not exposed to combustion. As long as the engine is not running rich or burning oil, combustion will keep the cylinder, pistons, and exhaust values clean. But detergent in the fuel is useless for keeping intakes clean in direct injection engines. So with a direct injection engine, the only place I can think of where you might benefit from the detergents is in keeping the injectors internally clean.

Last edited:
We have a lot of Sunoco stations going in around here (they're kinda taking over all the older Shamrock and Valero) and I have filled up at them, buying the medium octane. So how do you know it's not a top-tier? I have never heard of this before.

Also, we have a bunch of Buc-ee's here too, and they usually have the best prices - but I'll be damned if I know what brand of gasoline they sell. If it's that cheap, maybe it isn't top tier either.

ETA - So I went back to the link that was posted and read the retailer's list - I don't remember seeing Sunoco Ultratech sold at any of the stations I've visited, but I'll be on the lookout for it now. Still don't know what Buc-ee's sells.

Last edited:
We have a lot of Sunoco stations going in around here (they're kinda taking over all the older Shamrock's) and I have filled up at them, buying the medium octane. So how do you know it's not a top-tier? I have never heard of this before.

Also, we have a bunch of Buc-ee's here too, and they usually have the best prices - but I'll be damned if I know what brand of gasoline they sell. If it's that cheap, maybe it isn't top tier either.

Current list: http://www.toptiergas.com/media/TOP_TIER_Licensed_Retail_Brands_for_Website_SXOOBEs.pdf

ETA - So I went back to the link that was posted and read the retailer's list - I don't remember seeing Sunoco Ultratech sold at any of the stations I've visited, but I'll be on the lookout for it now. Still don't know what Buc-ee's sells.

FWIW here's what Sunoco says on their website: "A high detergent fuel blend (the same levels as NASCAR fuel) that significantly exceeds U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gasoline detergency standards. Beginning April 1, 2017, Sunoco UltratechTM will be available to customers across all grades of gasoline at every Sunoco station across the country."

https://www.sunoco.com/quality-fuels/ultratech/

So even if you don't see the Ultratech name yet, it seems from this statement it should be Top Tier.

FWIW here's what Sunoco says on their website: "A high detergent fuel blend (the same levels as NASCAR fuel) that significantly exceeds U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gasoline detergency standards. Beginning April 1, 2017, Sunoco UltratechTM will be available to customers across all grades of gasoline at every Sunoco station across the country."

So even if you don't see the Ultratech name yet, it seems from this statement it should be Top Tier.

Thank you for checking that out! I feel better about filling up there now.

This is only taking their word for it and believing that they do use a high detergent fuel blend. Unless they are certified as a Top Tier Gas station, you won't know if their additives/detergents are truly at that level.

This is only taking their word for it and believing that they do use a high detergent fuel blend. Unless they are certified as a Top Tier Gas station, you won't know if their additives/detergents are truly at that level.

Pretty sure the EPA would fine them big time for using their Top Tier Logo. EPA don't play around.

Top Tier has nothing to do with the EPA. The EPA already mandates detergent additives in all gasoline for deposit control. Top Tier is a private, industry backed licensing program for detergent additive packages that (potentially) go beyond what the EPA mandates.

There are some good info here if anyone is interested in reading.
http://www.toptiergas.com/faqs/

The reason not all gas stations are Top Tier Gas certified is probably because they don't want increased expenses from being certified. Based on the faq, the annual license fee is based on how many gas stations you have.

I always thought that top tier will poison you more.

Latest posts

Back