Chirping sound from my Mazda 2 😕

ODMF

:
Mazda 2
Hi guys, I've recently passed my test and inherited the wife's 2008 Mazda 2. Unfortunately the car's developed an intermittent chirping/cricket like sound that's driving me mad. It only happens at approx 30mph, 40mph and 50mph. Between those speeds and over 50 there's no noise until I start slowing down whether by using the brake or just coming off the accelerator, then the noise comes back as the needle passes 50, 40 and 30mph. Any advice would be sooo much appreciated. Darren (UK)

Last edited:
I lack a lot of experience with mazdas compared to the other members on here, but it sounds like it may be due to your throttle body. It could be dirty, or the edges of the butterfly plate may be sharp, causing the air rushing over it to whistle/ chirp.

Hi all,

Any news or any other input on this issue. It appears that half the mazda 2 owners have this issue, myself included, but no one has come back syaing what or if they've fixed it.

Cheers,
Evros

Last edited:
Thread is kind of old but I fixed a chirping noise on my Mazda 2 by adding washers to the rear heat shield plate. I had clunking noises and noticed that the rear heat shield was starting to fall off. I reattached it with by adding big washers to the 3 front bolts. The clunking went away but now I was hearing chirping noises when accelerating or braking. I fixed it by adding a washer to the bolt under the exhaust pipe were the shield was also starting to fail.

Thread is kind of old but I fixed a chirping noise on my Mazda 2 by adding washers to the rear heat shield plate. I had clunking noises and noticed that the rear heat shield was starting to fall off. I reattached it with by adding big washers to the 3 front bolts. The clunking went away but now I was hearing chirping noises when accelerating or braking. I fixed it by adding a washer to the bolt under the exhaust pipe were the shield was also starting to fail.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Were you able to recreate the noise manually when under the car in any way. The heat shields on mine are in pristine condition (not rusty at all) like the rest of the underneath.

Any info is welcome as I am starting to think there is a bird trapped inside the sump!

Regards,
Evros

Hi, thanks for replying.

Were you able to recreate the noise manually when under the car in any way. The heat shields on mine are in pristine condition (not rusty at all) like the rest of the underneath.

Any info is welcome as I am starting to think there is a bird trapped inside the sump!

Regards,
Evros

Yes, pulling down on the heat shield was making the chirping noise after I reattached only the front of the plate. I drove about a week before it got on my nerve enough that I rechecked the plate and notice the problem under the muffler pipe (one of the 2 rear bolts). The shielding under my car seems to be made of aluminium or another metal that doesn't rust, but the area around the nuts seems to be too thin and just let go after a while.

Back