Best color for '17 CX-5?

I think color selection has a lot to do with a persons personality...

some people want to be noticed while some like to fly under the radar...
Yes but it also has to do a practicality. Silver cars you don't have to wash that often

Soul Red FTW! But I might be a bit biased. [emoji41]

4a6911e53a5ceda98afd9c3e268c18ed.jpg

I like any of the colors minus the Blue Reflex and Silver.

But black is the best. I may be biased. :)

Soul Red FTW! But I might be a bit biased. [emoji41]

I love German streets, they always seem to keep things looking right even with new buildings.

I'm rather fond of SRC too. Somebody on Facebook described it as candy apple red and rou can see why especially in the shade.

IMG_3511.jpg

.....and then when the sun shines it shows off a bit.

IMG_3586.jpg

28f10da47c786ee8e0609d84247daf90.jpg

00be1b3a7e54321ece74b96b0cf720e5.jpg

I'm a sucker for silver. Gray was my next choice but for an extra $300 no thank you. Black is always sharp no matter what.

Sonic silver should not absorb the heat as much plus hides grim/dirt better than the other colours meaning you can get away with less washes

this, although my favourite colour for this car is the machine gray.

I would opt for the beige/almond interior, the inside will stay cooler during hot weather. that interior would look amazing with any of the three exterior colours you mention.

this, although my favourite colour for this car is the machine gray.

I would opt for the beige/almond interior, the inside will stay cooler during hot weather. that interior would look amazing with any of the three exterior colours you mention.

What about showing dirt and stains with beige/almond interior (uhm)

What about showing dirt and stains with beige/almond interior (uhm)

it is not as big of an issue as everybody thinks. I have 75k miles on the very light beige leather in my BMW and it looks new.

having owned both black and beige interiors, I can tell you that I like both, but beige is much more pleasant to sit in if the cars been parked outside on a hot day. it simply required marginally more care (wipe the leather down with good conditioner monthly) and the leather will always look great. it is nowhere near as bad as you think.

with every single Mazda coming out the factory with black leather, it's refreshing to see beige interiors because it looks quite amazing with some exterior colours especially white or whatever OP is looking for.

now, if you arent a careful car owner and dont know how to maintain your interior, don't even think of getting the light interior. although the amount of effort to keep it looking good is childs-play.

I agree dark interiors can be hot in summer but since Mazda only offer black or white, I always opt for the black.

I realize this post is months old, but wanted to share that we just bought a '17 CX5 in Sonic Silver & imo it's a blah grey color & not silver! (We park it next to hubby's '09 G37x Infiniti that's Liquid Platinum & THAT looks silver. The Sonic Silver is a dull gray to my eyes. On the good side, we always buy silver cars as no garage & silver is so forgiving between washes! It's odd to me that people think the Sonic is too bright and light. I find it the opposite when compared to our other 2 silver cars. I'm also still trying to see any "metallic" sheen which makes me wonder what we got as it sure doesn't look silver! lol

We had an Infiniti FX35 in Liquid Platinum, in IMO it was too bright. It was almost white. I like the fact that Sonic Silver is a darker silver in certain lights but it does pop in the sunlight. You can see that in my signature pic. I don't find it blah at all, but to each his/her own. Congrats anyway!

Last edited:
I don't have any trouble with the stone interior and in some ways it's easier. I wipe them with a damp leather every couple of weeks then a meguire leather wipe which brings them back to new and conditions them.

I give my black leather a once over with Armor all leather protectant

have you ever had to own and maintain a black car for an extended period of time?

2 actually. My wife's 2010 Nissan Maxima, which we had for 5+ years then traded it in for her current 2015 Nissan Rogue. I'm a detail fanatic so I don't mind owning a black vehicle at all. Gives me a challenge. Here's some pics.

I use Adam's Polishes and AmmoNYC products for my detailing arsenal. Checkout my detailing account on Instagram @drivecleancny

2d97cd7e8adcf11ca84bf23368483ab7.jpg

685dc8bf80b5ae3de2d127911cf24ce4.jpg

01380eb3229c2c9b0eb49e49e7f17ab9.jpg

Last edited:
A wit on another forum stated that black isn't a color; it's a responsibility.

After owning several black cars over the years, most recently a Subaru BRZ, a BMW, and a Porsche; I heartily concur.

Black is stunning immediately after paint correction and sealant; but can be a bear to maintain.
As with all of my cars regardlesss of color; I carry a California Car Duster, detail spray, and microfiber towels that are used most frequently on the black vehicles.
For one willing to devote time to finish maintenance, black is fantastic.

As for my new CX-5; I chose Soul Red Crystal Metallic for its stunning "pop" even in shade.
I claybarred and sealed the finish on Saturday ... and it practically glows.

I also chose the almond interior to help cope with the Texas heat ... easily maintained by regular cleaning with the leather product of your choice.

Different colors appeal to different preferences ... and each purchaser determines what works best for them. (yes)

I don't have any trouble with the stone interior and in some ways it's easier. I wipe them with a damp leather every couple of weeks then a meguire leather wipe which brings them back to new and conditions them.

Exactly. Just marginally more effort required then black leather and it will always look great. This is a common misconception and concern about beige/stone leather.

I give my black leather a once over with Armor all leather protectant

I have heard to avoid anything armor all.

2 actually. My wife's 2010 Nissan Maxima, which we had for 5+ years then traded it in for her current 2015 Nissan Rogue. I'm a detail fanatic so I don't mind owning a black vehicle at all. Gives me a challenge. Here's some pics.

I use Adam's Polishes and AmmoNYC products for my detailing arsenal. Checkout my detailing account on Instagram @drivecleancny

Nice! Well Ive had the opportunity to borrow my friends black car for about three weeks now, and I am still undecided as to whether I would own this colour paint or not. Like someone else said, its not a paint, but a job to take care of. waterspots, scratches, dirt and imperfections are shown super easily compared to the silver paint I am used to, which always looks new/clean because it hides EVERYTHING. Not so with black paint. It looks awesome when its waxed and maintained but it gets dirty so easily and quickly and scratches are easily shown.

No issues with armour all. Been using the letter protectant for the last 10 years with no issues

Back