Best color for '17 CX-5?

...it'll be the wife's car, and she picks the color. She'd buy that red in a quick second.

Same. I've had boring colors most of my life. Silver Gray...I don't drive like a tool, so that whole "red attracts law enforcement" isn't relevant to me

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

In Texas, you should always try to choose lighter colors such as Sonic Silver and gray interior. Anything dark would be too hot in summer.

See, I don't get this - it's not like any light color is cool! Once the temps start hitting hitting the upper 90's, it could be wrapped in tin foil to reflect the sun and still be 200+ inside. Hot is hot, I've lived in Texas all my life, had cars and trucks of all colors imaginable - and I've never known the exterior color to make a tinker's damn difference in the interior temp. I have black on black CX-5 and you bet it's going to be hot inside this summer - just like every other single car in the parking lot at 5:30 pm in August. You roll down the windows, let the superheated air out, let the AC do it's job and once it starts cooling, roll up the windows and enjoy the frosty air! All this talk of "oooo, you can't have a dark car in Texas, it's too hot" is hogwash.

eta - I would say bulls*** but not sure it will let me.......

Last edited:
I might be biased but... Red. Sure there are lots of other red cars out there but this red puts them all to shame. No joke. If you haven't seen the red in person then you're in for a treat.

I might be biased but... Red. Sure there are lots of other red cars out there but this red puts them all to shame. No joke. If you haven't seen the red in person then you're in for a treat.

We have the same vehicle! [emoji106] well technically, I don't have it yet....[emoji17] it's just now hitting the Panama Canal according to the ship tracker

See, I don't get this - it's not like any light color is cool! Once the temps start hitting hitting the upper 90's, it could be wrapped in tin foil to reflect the sun and still be 200+ inside.
Physics says black objects absorb more light and that, in turn, gets converted to more heat than lighter colored objects. So on the other day when our temperature reached to 89F while our CX-5 parked under a shade. I couldn't stay inside the CX-5 even with the door open which unfortunately has all-black interior for our Sonic Silver. Once I got out of the car I feel fine. It's the black interior which absorbs all the heat around it, hence the interior was getting very warm within very short period of time. The interior temperature won't be heated up that fast on my silver Honda CR-V with gray cloth interior.

The condition you described is also true. Once the vehicle parked under the Texas sun for a while, the inside temperature of the vehicle is going to be 170F no matter what color we have. :)

See, I don't get this - it's not like any light color is cool! Once the temps start hitting hitting the upper 90's, it could be wrapped in tin foil to reflect the sun and still be 200+ inside. Hot is hot, I've lived in Texas all my life, had cars and trucks of all colors imaginable - and I've never known the exterior color to make a tinker's damn difference in the interior temp. I have black on black CX-5 and you bet it's going to be hot inside this summer - just like every other single car in the parking lot at 5:30 pm in August. You roll down the windows, let the superheated air out, let the AC do it's job and once it starts cooling, roll up the windows and enjoy the frosty air! All this talk of "oooo, you can't have a dark car in Texas, it's too hot" is hogwash.

eta - I would say bulls*** but not sure it will let me.......

I remember sitting on textured black vinyl seats in our 1972 Civic, after moving from South Dakota to Texas as a small child. Skin-ripping is an appropriate description of that experience :)

Things have come a long way, but I still have that bias against dark interiors. So, for that reason and the fact that I prefer the contrast that came with parchment interior, I passed on anything that was black-only for interior options. Exterior color, yeah... doesn't matter one whit here. That's splitting hairs (comparing 195 degrees to 200 degrees inside a car) :)

Eeeewwww, nasty vinyl (or Naugahyde?) was all you could get in the late 60 and 70's - and I agree, THAT made for some hot seats! Cloth seats were a godsend at that time. But I haven't had that skin-ripping experience (and I know exactly what you're talking about!) with any of the black leather seats I've had recently - both in my truck and this car. I actually have kept the seat heaters on full time since I bought the thing a month or so ago, I just like the cozy feel. My truck has heated seats too, and I use those all the time as well. I may change my tune about it once it gets into full summer, but so far it's been okay.

Funny thing I do notice is that the steering wheel can get uncomfortably warm at the top, where it is in direct sun. My truck doesn't have that problem.

In pictures I wasn't crazy about the SRC, but my wife wanted red and that's what we got. But in person, the SRC looks great. That is the main thing anybody discusses about my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the Machine Grey for mine and I love it. Need to wash and wax/protect mine soon with all the pollen sticking all over it now.
It's stunning when clean.
So far in my area, I have spotted 1 SRC and 1 black in the 2017. I feel like the SRC will be flooding the streets in the next weeks/months, although it is a striking color.

i'm a big time fan of the charcoal family - had the metro gray on my '09 mazda3 and it was imho the most stunning color on that car, went black on my '16.5 - something about the black on that model was quite striking to me, but having seen the machine gray if it had been available last year that would have been my choice

Never mind what we think. The best color is whatever color that you like best.

The CX-5 offers 7 colors. Red costs an extra $595 and grey costs an extra $300. It appears that Mazda is really pushing the red color. In their glossy sales brochure, every single photo of the car is in the red color. If you want to be seen, red is the color to get. But not everyone wants red. Youd think some of the car photos would be car colors other than red.

The CX-5 has 7 colors to choose from. It would be nice if one or two more colors would be offered for 2018. The CR-V has 10 exterior colors; Rogue has 8 colors; RAV-4 has 8 colors; and Escape has 9 colors.

I dont live in a desert environment but it gets hot here in the summer in the Midwest also. I dont know how many additional degrees in temperature a black exterior/black interior color adds to a car sitting out in the summer sun compared to a white exterior/beige interior color. It may not be much though. If the temperature is 140 F. with black colors and 130 F in white colors, its still hot as hell.

This is the one we don't get in the US on the 17 (Titanium Flash Mica):

2017_mazda_cx-5_gt_titane-flash-mica_001.png

These are the colours and trims we have here in Oz:

001.jpg

Note Trim levels is model dependent and not tied in with features such as no radar cruise control with pure white leather but there is this caveat:

Pure white leather only available with Eternal Blue Mica, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Machine Grey Metallic, Titanium Flash Mica, Deep Crystal Blue Mica and
Jet Black Mica exterior colours.

This is the one we don't get in the US on the 17 (Titanium Flash Mica):

2017_mazda_cx-5_gt_titane-flash-mica_001.png

i've seen this on the '16 a few times and i have to say it really suits the car well - i don't see many 'brown' cars i'm a fan of but this imho is a beaut

Titanium flash mica....nice color, if you want to be unremarkable and low key. [emoji848][emoji6]

I guess I'll disagree. Saw some brown CX-5's and thought it was kinda ugly.

But hey...in the end I'm all for having lots of color options. Different strokes for different folks.

I guess I'll disagree. Saw some brown CX-5's and thought it was kinda ugly.

But hey...in the end I'm all for having lots of color options. Different strokes for different folks.

Yup, same here. My reaction is "mud mica" :) More the merrier, though!

Latest posts

Back