Live Traffic 2017

The Nav system does not get updates from the HD Radio traffic map. If you go look at the Mazda3 Revolution forums, there are extensive threads about this. The HD Radio traffic map app is supposed to suffice us after Mazda discontinued the Mazda Connect services in the United States. If you talk to other Mazda owners in other countries, that can still use the Mazda Connect services, they will tell you that they would use their phone as a wifi hotspot, their radios have wifi enabled that uses their phone to receive live traffic updates (as well as other information).
Actually this false advertising by Mazda on 2016 CX-5 navigation with "Live Traffic" has been discussed in this CX-5 forum many times before. This's a fact that there's no live traffic data flowing into our navigation. I was surprised some people here now think live traffic for 2016 nav is back and alive now?! I was also surprised that it took this long someone finally filed a class-action lawsuit for it. Here is one thread of the discussion and we can tell all Mazda North American Operations had done for 2016 CX-5 were empty promises:

Request to call Mazda Corp: For Live Traffic

Hoorah - got a call from Corporate Mazda office today, JP. The guy spoke to me and said that they will attempt at something. Asked me for suggestions. They are as follows:
1. Get the whatever used to work - working. (Choice #1)
2. Get HD Total Traffic data flowing into navigation. (Maybe easiest, but the HD thing whatever I saw is not that good)
3. Get the XM Traffic integration - working. (Choice #3 - since it'll incur consumer subscription charges and I'm pretty sure Mazda won't absorb them)
4. Allow WiFi. They have a software downloadable in smart phone which can feed the data into navigation via WiFi (This he liked, God knows why).
5. Prioritize Android mirroring / Apple CarPlay (he said its in the roadmap but cant be done for the current Infotainment hardware, will require replacement)

I also vehemently complained about 3 years map update and XM subscription being just 3 to 4 months. He took all of this in.

BTW: He's aware of this thread.

Last edited:
Exactly. Mazda had updated their license. Here is a screenshot from my system as of 5 mins ago

aSeYnpuh.jpg-
If you have a 2014 CX-5 GT with Tech as indicated in your profile, yes you do have live traffic in your Tom Tom based navigation system which is different from Navteq system used in 2016 CX-5 and newer.

The 2017 doesn't advertise that it has live traffic, does it? If not, can't really complain right? Thankfully carplay/aa is coming at some point (unless you listen to mango) and solves this issue fully.

If you have a 2014 CX-5 GT with Tech as indicated in your profile, yes you do have live traffic in your Tom Tom based navigation system which is different from Navteq system used in 2016 CX-5 and newer.

That was taken from my 2017. My understanding is the nav system uses that info for routing purposes.

That was taken from my 2017. My understanding is the nav system uses that info for routing purposes.
Navigation system very likely is different in 2017 from 2016(.5). Not like 2016(.5) CX-5, Mazda doesn't say anything about "Live Traffic" on Mazda Navigation System in its 2017 sales materials.

The belt loop around charlotte, I-485 was completed two years ago and the northern part is still not showing on the map. Totally useless

The Mazda Connect Nav System does NOT use ANY real time or near real time traffic for any routing purposes. How is this not already clear?

Yea, it's on the 16, too.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ought-we-didn-t-have-live-traffic-on-our-Navi

We don't have LIVE TRAFFIC as in you can't see red or green lines showing how thick traffic is... but it certainly will route your around traffic.

My 2017 GT shows red yellow & green traffic but I was sitting at the dealership today with the service rep when we found it after my GPS was refreshed. This area was greyed out before the refresh. Not sure how this would work when driving???? It was a map of a wide area..much to big to see each route. You can zoom in a bit. Maybe this is just before you take off on your trip, but that sucks when you are used to the red, yellow & green of the Garmin's etc. I'm here trying to find out about this and the 2 front console USB ports that I was told today are not broken but their purpose is to just play audio thru the car's sound system via your personal device. So, they are not for charging as we thought. Only the rear console USB's are for charging (and playing video/audio devices).

My 2017 GT shows red yellow & green traffic but I was sitting at the dealership today with the service rep when we found it after my GPS was refreshed. This area was greyed out before the refresh. Not sure how this would work when driving???? It was a map of a wide area..much to big to see each route. You can zoom in a bit. Maybe this is just before you take off on your trip, but that sucks when you are used to the red, yellow & green of the Garmin's etc. I'm here trying to find out about this and the 2 front console USB ports that I was told today are not broken but their purpose is to just play audio thru the car's sound system via your personal device. So, they are not for charging as we thought. Only the rear console USB's are for charging (and playing video/audio devices).
No, your dealer gave you wrong info on these! The front 2 USB ports do charge but at 1.0A which is too small the current for charging the modern cell phones. Others have been offering at least one 1.5A USB port at front for a little quicker charging.

For 2 rear USB ports in your 2017 CX-5 they’re 2.1A for quicker charging, but they’re only USB charging ports and can’t support data! Again others offer 2.5A rear USB charging ports for even quicker charging at much better location without interfering the rear center seating!

Some older devices don't like the higher charging current (2-2.5A), and the lifespan of their battery may suffer.

A cheap and easy solution is to get a cigarette lighter USB adapter. The one I have has 3 ports: 1.0A, 2.0A, and 2.1A. Just leave it in the front console and use it when you need it.

Back