How to Install Aluminum Pedals, Dead Pedal, Brake and Accelerator

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
How to install Aluminum Pedals

I found these aluminum pedals on Amazon a few weeks ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

They seem to be good, somewhat better than the OEM ones (I thought) and definitely cheaper.
OC9Yv7t.jpg

The raised pads were surprisingly thick and really stand out. They feel great under your feet, and are on one sheet, not simple pressed in rubber bumpers like some other pedals.
msNBfXS.jpg

g7s1h6K.jpg

On investigating this more, I found that the foot rest area was simple styrofoam block.
lGHg6Ifl.jpg

I wasn’t going to try to screw anything onto that, so my investigations took me to using an aluminum sheet as a backing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I created a template of the ‘hump’ and traced it onto the aluminum sheet. The sheet is .125 think (⅛”)
jgXgngb.jpg

I cut it out with a metal band saw, sanded it smooth and positioned the dead pedal over it to mark the holes.
WHVdKEf.jpg

My plan then was to simply use contact cement, and cement the plate onto the styrofoam.
That actually worked out well.
I cut holes into the carpet over the threaded holes in the plate. This wasn’t that easy. I used a utility knife to make a 3-cornered hole
b5pLv9L.jpg

Then using a side cutters, which worked perfectly, I enlarged the holes over the screws.
LTrYoGp.jpg

I drilled and tapped the holes using a M4 tap.
I purchased some stainless steel M4 flat head, allen head screws for the dead pedal and some stainless steel, oval head sheet metal screws for the gas pedal, and more stainless steel flat head allens for the brake pedal. I did not use the cheap screws provided. I like the stainless socket, head cap screws or allen head types.
Lining up the new dead pedal plate was pretty easy. The screws were long, and dug into the styrofoam block.

Brake pedal

0v3h47x.jpg

Dead Pedal

LjwNDZ6.jpg

Next, I removed the stock rubber cover over the brake pedal. I placed the new brake pedal cover on the brake pedal and it seems to naturally fit on it. I centered the new pedal as best I could, marked the holes, drilled out the holes. I was thinking of tapping these holes also, but the metal was actually fairly thin and I thought I would not get enough threads for the screw. This turned out to be a good decision. The right hole however fell onto a bend in the pedal and proved to be difficult to get a nut on the screw. I had to enlarge the hole a bit so the screw could move to the side somewhat so I could get the nut on the back of the screw. I used a longer screw for this. It worked well.
KTLz26A.jpg

The accelerator pedal was just as easy. I started by placing the new aluminum pedal on the accelerator pedal to check for fit. Again, it just seems to fit easily in place. I tapped in on to mark the holes.
CMs4q2w.jpg

I drilled some pilot holes and started to screw the sheet metal screw into place. I dropped one and it went behind the pedal, int the carpet hole on the right side of the pedal. Crap, I couldn’t get it out.
I actually removed the accelerator pedal and this made installing this aluminum pedal much easier.
FflvYCz.jpg

Pop these covers, use a 10mm socket to remove two bolts.
9P3yeDJl.jpg

ixUHFSBl.jpg

Turn the pedal on it’s side, and gently lift this tab on the socket to remove it.
HOHrphP.jpg

I added all the screws, but when I bought these, I intentionally bought them longer than I needed I did’t measure them exactly, but the rubber backing for the pads is relatively thick so I bought all the screws long in order to compress this rubber pad when screwing them in. This helps a lot. With the pedal off and the aluminum screws in place, I used a Dremel cut off tool to trim the screws protruding out for the back of the pedal.
I did this to the bottom screws also.
Rie1zJj.jpg

I was easy to replace the accelerator assembly now and it allowed me to clean up the area, vacuum it out and clean the carpet some.

The results are very good. I did have one small problem. In my attempt to center the dead pedal over my aluminum plate, I neglected to see that when the plate is actually in place, it should be over tot he right a bit more, maybe ”. In the next few days, I will remedy this. The hard work is done and this will be an easy fix.

l3PhFl0.jpg

Changed the position of the dead pedal.

DPn6cVh.jpg

I’ve include the links to the pedal and the aluminum sheets, all available on Amazon

Last edited:
Very nice write up. Good job.. Thank you.. I've been looking at these especially for the left foot rest.

I have done mine a a while back, may be the same kit, just purchased from Ali.
The biggest problem with these, is keeping them clean. The aluminum is always dirty, between the raised pads.

Back