Any decent 2.5t mileage reports yet?

:
cx9
Just picked up a new CX9.. wondering if any people out there who has put some good mileage on can report some fuel economy numbers? Coming from a guzzling v6 I'm hoping to at least get close to the EPA city rating.

Am averaging 11.6L/100Km mostly city driving after close to 4K on odometer...very close to advertised mileage of 11.5 or 20mpg

70% city over ~12,000km so far...22mpg, which I am very happy with.
The on board indicator shows mid to high 20s on highway trips, if you can keep close to posted limits (100 km/h). 120 km/h and up, and the mileage takes a hit.

40% city / 60% highway... averaging 9L/100kms or 26MPG on 91 fuel. 17,000kms
I do get higher fuel consumption with 87... around 11L/100kms.
Also using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 if it means anything

The key is to know when the Turbo starts to build boost and try not to be in it. When driving at steady speeds I can maintain 5L/100kms and still move with the traffic flow.

You cannot drive a Force Induced engine the same as a Normally Aspirated one.... if you do, mileage will be much worse... most people don't understand that

Last edited:
I got 27.4mpg with the last tank of gas. Daily round trips to the work with mix of highway and quiet local road with very light traffic. I did try to avoid heavy pedals on both speed and brake. Cruising at 65mph as much as I could. The mild weather may have helped the effort as well.
14.JPG

Last edited:
My wife is averaging around 22.5 after 12,000 miles (GT AWD). She averaged around 18 with her old CX-9 (2010 Sport FWD).

We haven't done a bunch of out of town driving but so far haven't been able to get above 25mpg (average 75 mph) on those few trips we have taken. Anyone else?

Aw man thats awesome you guys.. I'll be stoked to get 22+ after getting 18 max in v6 vehicles. Which was under the EPA city rating on those!

4mpg doesn't sound like much, but we got to remember percentage wise its a much larger improvement than say 28 to 32. The mpg thing is kind of deceiving in that way. Gallons per hundred miles would be better. Or Liters per kilometer or whatever.

Great to hear!

Yea, 6 mpg more is over a 100 miles more per tankful, which is good. Especially for a vehicle of this size.

Yea, 6 mpg more is over a 100 miles more per tankful, which is good. Especially for a vehicle of this size.

Right, cx5 is class leading, as is the cx9 in the 3rd row market. I looked at the hybrid Pacifica, but production is slow out of the gate and I was on a time crunch. Also they are EXPENSIVE! 42k versus 32k for the mazda. 10k$ buys a lot of fuel, and in any case its not a directly comparable driving experience. Pluses and minuses on both sides. Space/luxury versus a more enjoyable drive.

Mostly 22, but on a 90 minute highway drive up to Maine, I got 27MPG. Shocked the hell out of me. I didn't get that high when I first bought the car. Also, I'm using 93 for the summer to see how well it performs.

27! Nice.. I've had good luck on mileage with my old dodge, which also happens to be a two and a half liter four cylinder turbo. My good experiences with 4t's was a big influence on my choosing this mazda over other brand's offerings. You get that v6 grunt when you need it, and 4 cylinder fuel economy when you're not on boost. Best of both worlds!

27! Nice.. I've had good luck on mileage with my old dodge, which also happens to be a two and a half liter four cylinder turbo. My good experiences with 4t's was a big influence on my choosing this mazda over other brand's offerings. You get that v6 grunt when you need it, and 4 cylinder fuel economy when you're not on boost. Best of both worlds!

What 4T's have you had experience with? (Other than the Dodge)

How do you all get such good numbers?! I barely get 17MPG in town and there's barely any traffic here..I also get 22-23MPG on the highway and I usually cruise at 75-80MPH

What's the trick? How do you know when the turbo kicks in? Do I try to stay under 2500 rpm? Do I have to drive like my great grandma?
I use 87 if that means anything and just hit the 8,000 mile mark :) on my 2016 Signature.

How do you all get such good numbers?! I barely get 17MPG in town and there's barely any traffic here..I also get 22-23MPG on the highway and I usually cruise at 75-80MPH

What's the trick? How do you know when the turbo kicks in? Do I try to stay under 2500 rpm? Do I have to drive like my great grandma?
I use 87 if that means anything and just hit the 8,000 mile mark :) on my 2016 Signature.

Try using premium to see if there's a diff...also, if you drive conservatively say staying under 3K RPM it might also help...on the highway you can achieve the 25-26 mpg EPA rating provided you drive on the 60mph speed...once you go 75-80mph then the fuel mileage takes a hit

I'm a lead foot. Drive 85 most of the highways. No idea when the turbo kicks in.

Most days I get about 22 on mixed. but did get that 27 MPG on a leisurely drive up to Maine....once

I recently made an ~800 mile drive. On one of the tanks I averaged 26-27mpg. This was all highway at speeds mostly between 70 and 80 MPH with an average speed of 69 MPH. Not much high elevation driving so the roads were fairly flat. Weather was around 90F according to the vehicle. I am really pleased and impressed by the gas mileage and look forward to future trips. I have around 18K on the odometer and used 93 octane fuel.

Current average is 21.6 for me with some mixed driving (50/50, though the highway often resembles a parking lot). The car seems to be very thirsty when accelerating, so any kind of fun when driving results in a lower mileage. Which probably explains why some of the best mpg trips (25-27mpg) occurred with my student driver at the wheel -- conservative use of gas pedal helps.

Back