New to Mazda's, interested in the 6 ...

pcj

:
Mazda CX 5 GT 2016
Recently we traded in my wife's old, tiny 06 Scion xB for a 2016 CX 5 GT AWD (quite an upgrade!), and of course, I find myself with the new car itch too.

I'm driving an 07 Camry V6 SE, with 285k on the clock. It's getting close to time to retire it - and I find myself looking closely at the Mazda 6.

Our CX 5 ownership experience over 11k has been great so far - but I do have a couple of questions that maybe experienced Mazda owners will be able to answer for me.

1) Power. coming from a 3.5l V6 to a 2.5l 4cyl, I know the power won't be what I'm used to, of course. I personally find the CX 5 to feel a little sluggish on highway ramps - will the 6 be a similar experience, or is the lighter weight going to help off set that? (I'm trying to avoid going for a test drive, as I know I'll fall in love and be doomed)

2) I am also seriously considering Subaru's, and a big piece is the technology. I kinda sorta really want Apple Car Play, which I hear might be coming to Mazda later this year. How concrete is that?

3) Pie in the sky ... any chance they'll release the wagon version in the US? (I know, I know, but it looks awesome)

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you. I need to replace my 2006 Nissan Altima.
I've been to the dealership several times, and really like the 6.
However, I've been researching and following up on the rust issues with Mazda, and that is preventing me from pulling the trigger.
Check out the rust thread on the CX-5 forum (lounge). Scary stuff.

ah, shoot. Just read a couple of threads. Our CX 5 is new, one winter in MA, no problems - but both of us like to keep cars for a long time and that would be a deal breaker.

Time to go test drive a Forrester XT ...

I drove the 6 manual 6 speed. Loved everything about the car but the engine. I found it to be anemic at best. Seemed to be a lot of hers to cover up the power plant. Driving in town, traffic changes by 5 mph, need to find a new gear. I'm sure it would have gotten better if it were my daily driver, but probably not good enough.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I drove the 6 manual 6 speed. Loved everything about the car but the engine. I found it to be anemic at best. Seemed to be a lot of hers to cover up the power plant. Driving in town, traffic changes by 5 mph, need to find a new gear. I'm sure it would have gotten better if it were my daily driver, but probably not good enough.

Gears, not hers. Sheesh.

It's a gorgeous vehicle - but I feel it needs another power train option (a V6? Turbo4 maybe) - visually it hits way higher than it's class, but the engine seems to be it's downfall

Mazda6 is prone to rust issues, as previous members pointed out, but they appear in engine area. I assume you are talking about the new 6 model. And yes, engines are lazy to say the least. No pushing into seats on full throttle.

I've got a 2016 GT automatic. 20k miles so far. I have not found the engine lacking for everyday use. If I need to blast past someone on the right who is holding up traffic in the left lane, I have not had a problem doing so. The mpg is great considering the size of the car. It's the right combo of mpg/power for me.

I'm in a 2nd Gen 6s GT that recently went in for recall work. They loaned me a '16 6 GT 6 speed manual and it was definitely lacking in power. I was glad to give it back. 2nd Gen 6 was/is no torque powerhouse by any means, but 2nd and 3rd gets you moving without a whole lot of effort. I do have to say and design and interior refinement was gorgeous on the '16 6 GT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The auto feels stronger than the manual, and it's also quicker and rated better on gas mileage.

I looked at Subaru, too but the CVT with the low power 2.5 was the deal killer. Maybe at the XT level it won't be as bad?

Back