KF CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation coming to EU

I posted this in the engine section but since it has also been discussed in the lounge (here in this thread), thought it might be beneficial to post here as well:

Details on the new HCCI engine will be revealed soon and will initially appear in the 2018 (probably USA model year 2019) Mazda 3 followed by the other models including the CX-5:

Revolutionary 2018 Mazda3 engine, design details soon

"The new Mazda3 will leapfrog a rebodied, HCCI-equipped Mazda6 into production because of its importance as Mazdas global top-seller. Expect the new Mazda 6 to echo the strategy.

The process will then be repeated with replacements for the Mazda2 (launched in October 2014), CX-3 (March 2015), MX-5 (August 2015) and CX-9 (July 2016), before the first truly all-new seventh-generation Mazda model, likely to be the MkIII CX-5, appears around 2022."

So if I have read the article correctly, maybe a while to go before this engine appears in the CX-5 [Happy to be corrected if I read it wrong :)]

A smaller teaser in the article for those wanting high performance Mazdas (called MPS here in OZ land but Mazdaspeed in the USA and other places:

"As part of the post-2020 renewal of its entire model line-up, theres the possibility Mazda will introduce a full range of MPS performance models based around an HCCI-equipped version of the CX-9s 2.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This hot-shoe line-up will almost certainly including an MPS-variant of the CX-5"

Fixed cylinder deactivation = very bad idea, ask GM.

Sent from my VIVO XL using Tapatalk

My Grand Jeep Cherokee had DoD, and it worked amazing! I could tell when it kicked in/out, but noone who ever rode with me could. 99.9% seamless! Loved it!

My Grand Jeep Cherokee had DoD, and it worked amazing! I could tell when it kicked in/out, but noone who ever rode with me could. 99.9% seamless! Loved it!
We had the V8 GM version here in our Holden cars about 3-5 years ago and there wasn't any reports of widespread issues.

I guess you didn't have it long enough to experience insane oil consumption, fouled plugs, stuck rings, failed lifters, etc. In GM case they took an excellent V8 and ruined it with AFM. No wonder everyone who knows and cares disable the feature as soon as possible. Similar story with Mopar.

I guess you didn't have it long enough to experience insane oil consumption, fouled plugs, stuck rings, failed lifters, etc. In GM case they took an excellent V8 and ruined it with AFM. No wonder everyone who knows and cares disable the feature as soon as possible. Similar story with Mopar.

I guess 92K miles isn't enough, then. At what point do those issues crop up?

Now, my Jeep had ISSUES, sure, but the engine wasn't one of 'em! That thing was beautiful. All-time AWD 52/48, 357hp, 16.5mpg daily commute and 18-19mpg highway at 75-80. Loved it. It would run on 4 cylinders until about 78-82mph, depending on wind, etc. It was other issues besides the motor that killed it for me. Mainly the transmission (545RFE).

I checked oil consumption and it was unnoticeable. I could not detect it the first few oil changes, and so I stopped worrying over it. I bought it at 68K miles, kept it to 92K. Engine was wonderful.

Last edited:
Great job on your Jeep's engine, Uno! Good for you. I wasn't specifically referring to Mopar 5.7, and not your particular engine, although many still have same issues as GM 5.3. If you don't think there was AFM problem, I'm OK with that.

Great job on your Jeep's engine, Uno! Good for you. I wasn't specifically referring to Mopar 5.7, and not your particular engine, although many still have same issues as GM 5.3. If you don't think there was AFM problem, I'm OK with that.

I don't know if there was or not, I am simply saying the Chrysler 5.7L I owned was just fine, and I was very happy with the DoD feature. Nor did it ever cause issue for me.

I posted this in the engine section but since it has also been discussed in the lounge (here in this thread), thought it might be beneficial to post here as well:

Details on the new HCCI engine will be revealed soon and will initially appear in the 2018 (probably USA model year 2019) Mazda 3 followed by the other models including the CX-5:

Revolutionary 2018 Mazda3 engine, design details soon

"The new Mazda3 will leapfrog a rebodied, HCCI-equipped Mazda6 into production because of its importance as Mazdas global top-seller. Expect the new Mazda 6 to echo the strategy.

The process will then be repeated with replacements for the Mazda2 (launched in October 2014), CX-3 (March 2015), MX-5 (August 2015) and CX-9 (July 2016), before the first truly all-new seventh-generation Mazda model, likely to be the MkIII CX-5, appears around 2022."

So if I have read the article correctly, maybe a while to go before this engine appears in the CX-5 [Happy to be corrected if I read it wrong :)]

A smaller teaser in the article for those wanting high performance Mazdas (called MPS here in OZ land but Mazdaspeed in the USA and other places:

"As part of the post-2020 renewal of its entire model line-up, theres the possibility Mazda will introduce a full range of MPS performance models based around an HCCI-equipped version of the CX-9s 2.5-litre turbo-petrol engine. This hot-shoe line-up will almost certainly including an MPS-variant of the CX-5"
Finally some news on this. I have been waiting for something new from Mazda to showcase at an auto show.

Finally some news on this. I have been waiting for something new from Mazda to showcase at an auto show.

Want to see the output details especially torque curve along with fuel consumption figures.

I'd probably trade my ST for a speed 3. I have a feeling it'll be more mature this time round. More GTI like but sharper handling.

I'd probably trade my ST for a speed 3. I have a feeling it'll be more mature this time round. More GTI like but sharper handling.

And more fuel efficient that the previous model which over here was a gas guzzler

Do I understand an actual performance version if the cx5 could happen? That would be neat. 0-60 in the 5s at a minimum though.

Try that with HCCI engine

If they do, it will truly have moved upscale and beyond its rivals like subaru and Toyota into the entry level of lexus and BMW and Benz, so long as the infotainment system is improved. That's all its lacking. A motor that isn't weak as puppy piss, and better electronic suite.

If they do, it will truly have moved upscale and beyond its rivals like subaru and Toyota into the entry level of lexus and BMW and Benz, so long as the infotainment system is improved. That's all its lacking. A motor that isn't weak as puppy piss, and better electronic suite.
Well according to Mazda's timeline, a new infotainment system is coming. As for HCCI, unless they turn the wick up, I don't see it in the 5 second bracket. I see somewhere from low 6s to mid 7s

Mazda-_Global-_Tech-_Roll-out-plan.jpg

Last edited:
Well according to Mazda's timeline, a new infotainment system is coming. As for HCCI, unless they turn the wick up, I don't see it in the 5 second bracket. I see somewhere from low 6s to mid 7s

Mazda-_Global-_Tech-_Roll-out-plan.jpg

Oooh exciting, thanks for sharing.

Edit: A CX-5 with 0-60 in the low 6 second range would be pretty quick.

Back