2016 CX-9 driver seat comfort

ioiwin

:
2016 mazda cx-9
Hi all,

I have asked this in other posts before but I cannot seem to understand this, but is anyone else having any trouble with driver seat comfort/pain? I am having a really bad issue with back pain. I do not know if it is just me, but I believe the design of the seat/lumbar support just doesn't make any sense. Is everyone else comfortable or am I the only one having an issue? Thanks

Hi all,

I have asked this in other posts before but I cannot seem to understand this, but is anyone else having any trouble with driver seat comfort/pain? I am having a really bad issue with back pain. I do not know if it is just me, but I believe the design of the seat/lumbar support just doesn't make any sense. Is everyone else comfortable or am I the only one having an issue? Thanks

I also find the same issue...cushion is on the firm side and seats not as ergonomically designed for comfort...I find it uncomfy over long drives so it's not only you

We have amember on the AUstralian CX9 Page that is having teh same issue

He bought a cx9 Sport, he has discovered teh CX9 Sport (base model with cloth interior) the seat is 2cm smaller than the Touring, Gt And Signature(Azami in Aus)

He is currently fighting Mazda Aus on the issue

The driver seat of my 2017 Signature is considerably more comfortable than the seat on my Toyota Venza. The Venza seat and lumbar seems to be designed for wide people, whereas the SX9 fits me perfectly.

The driver seat of my 2017 Signature is considerably more comfortable than the seat on my Toyota Venza. The Venza seat and lumbar seems to be designed for wide people, whereas the SX9 fits me perfectly.

I see. Are you a smaller person? I would say I'm pretty average 5'10 male. The side bolsters are too narrow for me and because of this my back doesn't get to fully rest on the back support. I'm assuming the 2017 model has same seats as 2016?

What you're describing sounds more like a function of width instead of height. I'm 6'1" and 190 lbs and I fit
between the bolsters just fine. The seats are designed to keep the driver fixed during spirited driving and it's
done without using "sticky" material like Alcatara. One of the things Mazda could have done would have been
to incorporate a width adjustment where the bolsters can be moved in or out as needed. I have owned cars
in the past with this feature.

If you can't come to grips with the stock seat you have very few options for relief.

Thanks for all your responses. I also feel like the lumbar support is too low on my back, when you extend it all the way out I feel like it should be in the lower/mid back when in the cx9 it's almost to my butt. I like to sit up fairly straight and upright. Does anyone have any comment on this? I'm just curious thanks

Thanks for the responses. Anyone else? After readjusting a billion times I've come to conclusion side bolsters are too narrow so my back does not fully rest on back support and is instead strained in unnatural position

I like to sit upright as well, and wish the seat was a bit deeper/more leg support. Not a dealbreaker; done full-day drives and it's fine. If I recline more, it's more comfortable.
I like the snug back and shoulder bolster, but that's just me when I m whipping it around.

Seems okay to me. I think cars vary on this; some have massive lumbar, some have little. I don't seems to need much support, but maybe I just have not mucked up my back enough ;-)

I find the seat bottom and lumbar to be fine. But the upper side bolsters are a little narrow and firm. Digs into my shoulders, and I'm not a big guy.

But it seems to be getting better. Maybe the foam is softening up over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I think the problem for me is the side bolsters don't allow my back to be full supported. My lower to upper back is not resting on the chair and I am kid of slouched forward due to head rest and narrow side bolsters. Oh well. It is very frustrating if one gets back pain sitting in such an expensive car. I even though about selling it. Anymore opinions are welcome

HWP 6’2” (men’s clothing size L-T) and for me the front seats are terribly uncomfortable. The front seat headrest tips far too forward for neck comfort and the upper backrest bolstering/contouring pinches in painfully at the shoulders. Plus the center console armrest is fixed in position about 1” too high.

As others have reported my upper back/spine does not actually touch the seatback due to this design. It seems like a kind of dangerous seat design. Certainly uncomfortable.

Since it’s not my personal car I’ve solved the problem for road trips by sitting in the 2nd row... these seats are way more ‘flat’ so they provide better support of the upper body and the headrest is almost parallel with the backrest. (My car is an Audi A7 and I fit just fine in the driver’s seat.)

But aside from front seat comfort and some very annoying infotainment/security system ‘features’, the CX-9 has been great otherwise. Has anyone heard if the front seat design was changed/improved for 2018 or 2019?

Last edited:
Hi,

I think seat comfort really varies from person to person. Factoring in, weight, height, even gender. I find the seats really comfy and feels like I am sitting in a race care as compared to my previous vehicles.
This is just my take on this matter. :)

I bought a CX5 and i have the same problem. I just dont know what to do. I am thinking of removing the factory fitted seats and update them with new upholstery.

But aside from front seat comfort and some very annoying infotainment/security system ‘features’, the CX-9 has been great otherwise. Has anyone heard if the front seat design was changed/improved for 2018 or 2019?

I haven't taken delivery of my 2018 Sig yet, but from what I've read, the 2018+ come standard with adjustable thigh support. I'm not sure if it applies to all trim levels, but I'm 90% sure that it does.

When I sat in the 2017 CX-9, I was a little surprised (in a good way). I went from 08 Lexus IS250 seats to base model 06 Civic seats. Going from the Civic to the CX-9 is like being back in the Lexus seats again (lol2). I'm 5'8" ~200lbs, for reference.

Have you tried adding a seat pillow or a towel to the seat back? I know it's not an elegant solution, but it might make things bearable until you can find something more permanent.

Hi all,

I also find the same issue...cushion is on the firm side and seats not as ergonomically designed for comfort...I find it uncomfy over long drives so it's not only you

We have amember on the AUstralian CX9 Page that is having teh same issue

He bought a cx9 Sport, he has discovered teh CX9 Sport (base model with cloth interior) the seat is 2cm smaller than the Touring, Gt And Signature(Azami in Aus)

He is currently fighting Mazda Aus on the issue

Very odd. One of the most comfortable seating vehicles I've ever owned and that was my 2017. One of the several good reasons why I upgraded to the 2018 however, were the new adjustments made to the driver and passenger seats. So, the front tilting driver's seat of the 2018, makes what was a great seat even better for me personally. One of the best Long Drive seats I've ever had. However, its not a Rolls Royce Ghost II.

Try decreasing the angle between the seat and the seat-back while raising the seat and adding positive lumbar support to compensate for the loss of vision over the hood. Hopefully that will help to off-set your spine away from vertical a bit more, relieving some pressure on the lower back. It might initially feel like a slightly more 'reclined' driving position overall, but maybe more reclined is what your spine requires.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses. I also feel like the lumbar support is too low on my back, when you extend it all the way out I feel like it should be in the lower/mid back when in the cx9 it's almost to my butt. I like to sit up fairly straight and upright. Does anyone have any comment on this? I'm just curious thanks

Bingo. There you go. Fairly straight and upright guarantees more vertical pressure on the spine. Try the tip given and see if that provides any relief. Remember to raise the seat height in conjunction with the other adjustments so as to not lose the over the hood sight line you are familiar with from your traditional straight and upright position.

Other than that, the Seat Frame is $375USD, the Memory Module is $110USD and the Memory Switch is $42USD (those are 2017 prices). Not sure if the same pricing applies to 2018, nor am I certain that those are the only components that would be needed to effectively give you a 2018 Driver's Seat which would then have a Front Tilt feature that would raise your knees and aid in taking off some lower back pressure as well (check with Mazda).

The entire Drivers Side seat assembly appears to be a nice $4,300USD - which represents about 10% of the total vehicle cost itself. I believe this has a lot to do with the "Safety" issues that revolve around automobile seating these days. However, if only a few components could give you the same net effect for less, that might work for you. Only you will know that for sure. $527USD is 12% of a brand new full assembly for the Driver's side.

Seat_Assembly_-_Mazda_TK81-57-150_F-15_-_Mozilla_Firefox_2017-1.png

Last edited:
Back