2017 DRL/signal light emulation

For Pipemajor and others:

Was scanning Youtube and found a 2017 CX-5 owner who has installed a VLEDS Triton LED for their right (when we view but left for car) indicator:
vleds rock!
the difference is noticeable, wonder how much brighter those are at night.

anyone know if he used a load resister? I did when I upgraded all the bulbs on my RX8 to vleds so I wouldn't have stupid crazy fast blinking lights.

Last edited:
For Pipemajor and others:

Was scanning Youtube and found a 2017 CX-5 owner who has installed a VLEDS Triton LED for their right (when we view but left for car) indicator:

That was the video I posted. VLEDS Triton is on the driver (USA) side so the right of the screen as you're looking at it. You can easily tell from the flash pattern they are LEDS but, as I said in the video, the almighty Triton doesn't appear that much brighter than the stock 7444NA bulb.

That was the video I posted. VLEDS Triton is on the driver (USA) side so the right of the screen as you're looking at it. You can easily tell from the flash pattern they are LEDS but, as I said in the video, the almighty Triton doesn't appear that much brighter than the stock 7444NA bulb.

Didn't recognise it! My bad (rofl)

I see the turn signal just fine the way they are. Maybe in future software updates Mazda will modify DRL menu options to not include the dimmed headlight projectors as part of the DRLs, but I don't see that as a priority, or a real problem. Mazda should instead be busy updating the infotainment software to include Apple Carplay / Android Auto.

I see the turn signal just fine the way they are. Maybe in future software updates Mazda will modify DRL menu options to not include the dimmed headlight projectors as part of the DRLs, but I don't see that as a priority, or a real problem. Mazda should instead be busy updating the infotainment software to include Apple Carplay / Android Auto.
Mazda should not spend any time to change anything on DRL setup for 2017 CX-5 - they should simply just copy the LED Signature DRL setup from 2016(.5)!

Mazda should not spend any time to change anything on DRL setup for 2017 CX-5 - they should simply just copy the LED Signature DRL setup from 2016(.5)!

Mazda USA should have just adopted what the rest of the world has for DRL set up on 2017 CX-5.

I think there is a covered bulb hole for the DRL in the US headlight. Now if we could figure out how to disable the main headlight and reroute....

I think there is a covered bulb hole for the DRL in the US headlight. Now if we could figure out how to disable the main headlight and reroute....
Any auto electrician should be able to help

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I took my 2017 to the dealer this morning and asked them to turn off the DRLs. The master tech had to make a phone call to get instructions, and then after a few failed attempts due to the exact timing between button presses, switch changes, etc., the DRLs are now off.

I took my 2017 to the dealer this morning and asked them to turn off the DRLs. The master tech had to make a phone call to get instructions, and then after a few failed attempts due to the exact timing between button presses, switch changes, etc., the DRLs are now off.
That's very unfortunat. I hope Mazda North American Operations can change the DRL setup back like 2016(.5) with LED DRLs, not both headlights and LED Signature accent strips for DRLs.

Permanently (scratch)

Page 35 of the of the 2017 CX-5 Smart Start Guide says "The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) automatically turn on when the ignition is switched on. To disable/enable this feature, see your Authorized Mazda Dealer." I take the "...disable/enable..." to mean they can be turned back on.

Page 35 of the of the 2017 CX-5 Smart Start Guide says "The Daytime Running Lights (DRL) automatically turn on when the ignition is switched on. To disable/enable this feature, see your Authorized Mazda Dealer." I take the "...disable/enable..." to mean they can be turned back on.

Correct. My question was you have turned them off permanently until a decision is made to have them back on. Right (uhm)

Right! As many others have stated, I don't like the fact that both the Signature lighting AND the headlight constitute the DRL system - I would like only the Signature lighting to be active. As I was driving to the dealer to have this procedure done, there was a high-end SUV behind me (a Jaguar, I believe) and I noticed that the cool looking lights surrounding the headlights were on, but not the headlights themselves. I believe that is the look that some of us are after.

Last edited:
Right! As many others have stated, I don't like the fact that both the Signature lighting AND the headlight constitute the DRL system - I would like only the Signature lighting to be active. As I was driving to the dealer to have this procedure done, there was a high-end SUV behind me (a Jaguar, I believe) and I noticed that the cool looking lights surrounding the headlights were on, but not the headlights themselves. I believe that is the look that some of us are after.

Silly Mazda USA. Do it right! (lol)

From the sounds of it I'm the only one on the planet that doesn't mind Mazda's setup, and actually quite likes how it's different.

I think its more of having an advertised feature that when comes it in to practice is something different

Latest posts

Back